Society for Rational Dress

Spinningwoman

Barefooters
May 23, 2013
Just been watching a program about the Victorians and it seems that the Society for Rational Dress, a group of women led by Oscar Wilde's wife who campaigned against the corset also protested against high heeled or pointed toed shoes as another fashion that led to deformity and disease.

it seems that the Society for Rational Dress, a group of women led by Oscar Wilde's wife who campaigned against the corset also protested against high heeled or pointed toed shoes as another fashion that led to deformity and disease.
Did her husband consider her feet to be a work of art? If so, she would have been just fine. If not.................
One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art. ~Oscar Wilde

The Brits have liberalized shoe rules it seems.....as long as nobody else in the public is watching.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...with-no-shoes-on-to-keep-cool-Nick-Clegg.html
I don't get the impression that there is much or any of the hate that some of your North American experiences seem to reflect. Yes, I'm sure we have plenty of 'jobsworths' who will assume there must be a rule against anything unusual or that it must be against 'health and safety' and plenty of seaside places have rules which are basically trying to say 'please don't come straight from the beach into our shop' but I think outside professional contexts we are not that bothered about other people's dress. We also have at least one Bishop who goes barefoot or sandalled at all times even in winter as a religious thing.

Reactions: Sid
Definitely the U.S. leads the world in fear of feet. Over at the SBL the rest of the world discusses the joys of barefooting, while North Americans dwell on trying to make progress relaxing rules as well as busy bodies that THINK there are rules.

Do you think it is because people see it as actual nudity, as if someone went about with bare buttocks or something? Or because of the hippy thing? Or because it implies poverty and poverty has been demonised?

Do you think it is because people see it as actual nudity, as if someone went about with bare buttocks or something? Or because of the hippy thing? Or because it implies poverty and poverty has been demonised?

All of the above plus one more. Most people are used to wearing closed footwear all day every day, and their feet end up becoming sweaty/fungus infested/gross/and even worse. That then becomes their view of feet period, and they can no longer see that feet are no different than any other non-private body part.
They are grossed out by their own (and often times rightly so under the circumstances in which they have been subjected to), and end up projecting that unto all others.

That's true. Every year at the service on the Thursday before Easter, there is a tradition of the priest washing the feet of members of the congregation in memory of Jesus washing his disciples feet - but these days it is incredibly hard to find people willing to let that happen, they are so embarrassed by their feet.

Yes, and she also has to convince other people that they too should care, I guess our job is to expose them to the counterpoint.

Reactions: happysongbird
For whatever it's worth, this columnist has roots in America, though the article is being published for a UK audience.
"I have written frequently about my fondness for deck shoes and boat shoes, which is probably just my Upper East Side Manhattan roots showing."

I went through a period around the late 80's in which I wore Sperry Topsiders sockless as my summer shoe of choice thinking that there was no other airier option for "grown up" men. Around these parts that was pretty much a Grosse Pointe look, and I was concerned less about appearing too casual than being labeled a country club snob. Slipping out for seconds at a time gave such a rush of cooling relief that it became harder and harder to get back in each time. When males starting wearing flips for snappy casual I was in from the start, but very aware as my daughter said at the time that it was a controversial fashion-forward statement. Once I developed the courage to leave the flops at home or in the car and just accept being known as the barefoot guy it became much simpler, no more decisions, just straight forward health and comfort fully aware that the observer's opinions would be as polarized as are the general public's regarding politics, religion, and everything else.

Reactions: Sid
For whatever it's worth, this columnist has roots in America, though the article is being published for a UK audience.
"I have written frequently about my fondness for deck shoes and boat shoes, which is probably just my Upper East Side Manhattan roots showing."
Interesting point. I think US judgemental attitudes to appearance are spreading over here - orthodontics and plastic surgery becoming if not 'the' norm then at least 'a' norm.