So how would this work, Barefoot Tri

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
It is interesting that this forum was created since I was just reading some articles by Troy Jacobson and he mentioned he was moving more to a forefoot strike partly due to the "minimalist Movement" . Then it got me thinking, has there ever been a barefoot triathlete. I could swim 2.4 barefoot and I am confident that I could efficiently run barefoot 26.2 but efficiently riding for 112 miles barefoot just seems difficult since riding shoes literally attach you to the bike. I guess some kind of foot cage but then, what would be the point?

Here is the article

http://www.coachtroy.com/public/605.cfm

Thank TJ for bring up the

Thank TJ for bring up the mystery solved thing it was a blast to write.

Lava

I am currently riding to work every day in walmart water shoes and socks. In the spring we will see, but I did get a few complete barefoot rides in before the snow arrived (Do not try this at home kids). Next summer will probably do one or two half ironman, water shoes on the bike and run barefoot.

Even on the bike foot strength is important.

PB

I'm contemplating running a

I'm contemplating running a half ironman next year barefoot as well. I'm going to do a few sprints to see how my feet hold up, as well as a few running-only events, so *crosses fingers* hopefully it works out. Good luck to you!

or crossing toes! 

or crossing toes! ;-)

See there now, PB & Don.

See there now, PB & Don. Since you guys are the first triathletes to grace this forum with your presence, why don't you write its description? I'll add it under the forum's name.

I did two Sprints this past

I did two Sprints this past summer - my first triathlons. For the first one, I did the run barefoot. For the second, the run was on gravel trails, so I wore huaraches.

It was fine. My T2 for the barefoot one was really fast! Also, during the first one, we had a LONG run from the beach to the transition area. Of course, everyone else was hobbling, and I was running at full speed.

I don't think there's much sense in doing the bike barefoot. I have standard cage toeclips on my bike, and when I try to ride with VFFs, my toes get caught in the cage. Aside from potential safety issues, it's very uncomfortable AND I don't get the benefits of the clips. There ARE barefoot pedals, but I can't see any sense in giving up the clips or SPDs for a race. It might prove some point, and would be really nice if you were using the bike to get yourself to the beach, but personally, I find that the clips make my ride faster and more fun.

I didn't see any other barefoot runners. The first event was near my town, and to the best of my knowledge, there ARE no other barefoot runners in my county. The second one was in the thumb of Michigan, and to the best of the BRS MI chapter's knowledge, no barefoot runners in that area either.

@Teej...hmmm I wouldn't know

@Teej...hmmm I wouldn't know what to write for a description without sounding like a ding dong! haha

@pb and sillyC Good luck and have a great season!

Shimano make a really cool

Shimano make a really cool pair of SPD sandles (SD66 SPD Sandles - designed for mountain biking) that might be a good minimalist type riding shoe. I haven't used them, but my riding partner uses them all the time in warmer weather and I saw someone wearing them last year at a 100k race - got a lot of comments.

Here is a good video on

Here is a good video on barefoot pedaling. Barefoot pedaling to this guy means getting out of the clip-less pedal and using a flat pedal but still using fairly stiff shoes. I use flat pedals with watershoes.

http://vimeo.com/14372491

To each his own but I like to strengthen my feet any chance I get that now includes biking.

I did my annual sprint tri

I did my annual sprint tri "barefoot" this year (the run and swim, anyway). Like SillyC, I didn't want to give up the toe straps on the bike peddles, and my peddles have pretty sharp knobs, so I wore water shoes during the bike portion. It worked out great. My water shoes are quick to slip on/off, too, which is great for transitions.

Before the event I asked the race director if there would be any problem. I got that "dear in headlights" look, like he could hardly wrap his mind around what I was asking. After a minute of that, he told me to read the USAT rules, which I did. No rules against BFR, that I could find - at least this year. Hoping it's the same next year!

Since PB is dissing me,

Since PB is dissing me, Silly, you want to take a crack at writing a description/definition for the Tri Forum?

TJ, you didn't ask me, but it

TJ, you didn't ask me, but it looks like your askin' for help, here ... so, how 'bout ...

"You do the swim barefoot, why not the biking and running, too?"

OR

"Stories and info for those willing to 'Tri' barefoot"

OR

"Tri it, you'll like it!"

(showing my age with that one; wasn't that saying from a '70's commercial?)

OR

"Tri, Tri, Tri it barefoot"

OR

"We're not only about running barefoot ... Stories and info for those who bike barefoot, too (and don't we all swim barefoot, anyway)"

If I think of any others, I'll let you know.

I really like this one... 

I really like this one... Stories and info for those willing to 'Tri' barefoot. We'll go with that!

I'm happy to try the tri BF,

I'm happy to try the tri BF, but does that mean swimming minimalist as well? My feet are reasonably good looking, but me in budgie smugglers (that's aussie for speedos) is not a pretty site.

Thanks TJ I did not realy

Thanks TJ

I did not realy understand what you were asking for. "TRI it Barefoot" has nice ring. Maybe I will put it on a BRS shirt for may next TRI

Sounds cool, with a little

Sounds cool, with a little foot.

Another tag-line suggestion:

Another tag-line suggestion: Fastest. Transitions. Ever.

Done.

Done.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test