Smoothies

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
I thought it might be nice to share some healthy smoothie recipes, I have a bunch but I'd like to try some more too. Of course these are DIY smoothies and you'll need a blender (most of my recipes will need a really good blender as I often include nuts and seeds and things that need to be turned to powder/liquefied).

I usually don't like greens but found this kale recipe that I modified slightly and not only can I tolerate the kale but it's delicious!

Chocolate Kale
1 frozen banana (I keep a baggie in freezer of quartered bananas so they are always on hand)
1/2 cup ice
3/4 cup packed kale (I usually use two large leafs, strip the greens from the stem)
1 1/2 tablespoons cacao nibs
1 tablespoon cacao powder
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk

That is the basic smoothie but I usually optionally add:
1 1/2 tablespoons hemp seeds
1/2 teaspoon maca powder

I often do not sweeten it, but sometimes add 6-8 drops stevia tincture.

Almost all the ingredients I get in organic certification.

Blend slowly and increase speed until smooth. Might have to push the greens into the blender with an appropriate pusher. The nibs and seeds will be very slightly gritty texture unless you blend for a while, but I like this texture. This makes one large glass. Enjoy!

This is my favourite concoction. Been experimenting for over a year and this is what i've come to love...

750ml water
100g kale, broccoli, lettuce or red cabbage (alternate a few days of each)
30g dates (ensure no stones are left in the dates as these will ruin some blenders)
1 large fig or 2 baby figs (dried or fresh)
15g fresh root ginger
10g dried goji berries
10g whole flax seeds
10g whole chia seeds
1 ripe banana (the kind with the spotty skins)
1 apple & 1 pear (ensure you do not add seeds as they’re toxic)
1 orange (peeled unless it's organic then you can add some peel to your taste)
1g amla powder
1/8th tsp chilli powder or fresh chilli – you don’t want this hot, just a little sparkly.
28g frozen blueberries
56g frozen berry, cherry, currant mix (you can buy nice frozen mixes in most supermarkets)

Currently using a Salter Pro 1500 watt - nice machine and very good price.

Wow now that is a long list of ingredients! I'm not used to measuring stuff in this way, do you actually use a weight scale when measuring ingredients? Only thing I don't usually have on hand off that list is amla powder - actually I've never heard of it. Always looking for new things to try though so hopefully I'll try this sometime, thanks for sharing.

Hi Tristan, yes, i have electronic kitchen scales on the counter next to the blender so most things get weighed. Obviously it's not necessary, i just like my smoothies to taste pretty much the same each time so i weigh things to keep it as i like it most.

Amla is powdered dried Indian Gooseberry. It's incredibly high in anti-oxidants and is chemo-preventative. I use that smoothie as my post exercise nutrition and while some people think that protein is the only concern my view is that natural wholefood anti-oxidants (supplement anti-oxidants do not work) are far more important. That smoothie will give all the protein you could ever need but will also deal with any oxidative stress from the exercise in a completely natural way which i believe should be at the top of all lists on post exercise nutrition.

As a lot of the things are kept in fridge and freezer it also lowers your body temp very quickly which allows for better recovery also. The longer your body temp remains elevated the longer you'll take to recover from your exercise.

My latest concoction (you'll need at least a 1200 watt blender for this)....

Sweet Potato Moose

350 grams raw sweet potato
10 gram dried goji berries
1 sun dried banana
1 dried fig
1 whole orange peeled
200 ml water
14 grams fresh root ginger

Seriously healthy desert. Has an odd texture at first but you soon get used to it. Enjoy and be healthy. :hungry:

I'm planning on experimenting with adding other things like blueberries etc. Will report back if i find anything worth reporting. xx

Reactions: Tristan
So i done some more experimenting and this is the final conclusion...

Sweet Potato Moose

200 ml cold water
350 g raw sweet potato (1cm slices)
1 sun dried banana (1cm slices)
2 baby dried figs or 1 large dried fig
20 g dates
10 g goji berries
10 g root ginger
10 g frozen blueberries
20 g frozen mixed berries (raspberry, blackberry, blackcurrant, redcurrant) or whatever mix you can find in the shop
1 whole orange peeled
1 long pepper

Reactions: Tristan
Lorri: your's sounds AWESOME! I'd probably just "wing" the amounts.
Please feel free to 'wing' away and play around with ingredients and report back any nice yummy discoveries. I'm a big believer in recipes evolving over time.

Glad it's naturally dairy-free! :)

No, never any baby food. Blenders should never be used by 'children' who haven't been weaned. :D