Skechers says they have a new "barefoot shoe" to be released. Who believes them?

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
I would hope the public is so

I would hope the public is so turned off on their nonsense shoes, they will search for other footwear options. From the lawsuit, looks like lots of folks have been directly injured (with proof) by their Shape Ups and with other research and news stories saying that they don't deliver the exercise benefits they promise, I can't see why anyone would buy from them. But you know they will. Especially if they have a big name backer like Brooke Burke from Dancing with the Stars. Ridiculous!

if Brooke Burke sold air i'd

if Brooke Burke sold air i'd buy it.

See.  You're not helping

See. You're not helping things, Mike. ;-)

Barefoot TJ wrote:I would

Barefoot TJ said:
I would hope the public is so turned off on their nonsense shoes, they will search for other footwear options. From the lawsuit, looks like lots of folks have been directly injured (with proof) by their Shape Ups and with other research and news stories saying that they don't deliver the exercise benefits they promise, I can't see why anyone would buy from them. But you know they will. Especially if they have a big name backer like Brooke Burke from Dancing with the Stars. Ridiculous!

A fool and their money are easily parted.

I am just waiting for someone

I am just waiting for someone to come out with Naked tops and naked pants for the ladies to go with their barefoot shoes :evil:

Watch what you wish for. 

Watch what you wish for. Some women aren't so hot. :sexy:

i really really doubt it will

i really really doubt it will be anything better than the "barefoot" shoes from nike and reebok. Its like they want a part of the market so they trick the people who dont know better into regular sneakers that they dubbed "minimal."

http://www.skechers.com/style

http://www.skechers.com/style/12470/shape-ups-liv/ccaq

This is the shoe that's supposed to be "an exciting and innovative new lightweight line with Natural Stride Technology to promote barefoot motion and fluid transitions as you walk, jog or run." All while helping you "tone" I guess. They just look like Shape-Ups with horizontal grooves cut into the stupid sole.

I guess you have to look at the target audience and the success of the Shape-Ups to see what their advertisement model is going to be

Any Responsible Minimalist Manufacturer: "Transition to a minimalist shoe (or true barefoot running) requires a long time during which you must relearn fundamental elements of your stride, and condition your feet to prevent stress injuries from sudden use of atrophied muscles. Too quick a transition can almost guarantee injury."

Sketchers: "Put these on and you'll TONE. It's THAT EASY"

These Shape-Ups belong in the same junk pile as those "ab belts" and every other fruadulent fitness gimick that is at best useless and at worst dangerous.

Agreed.  Natural stride, my

Agreed. Natural stride, my hiney!

Well that's not surprising

Well that's not surprising (though it's been years since I've looked at Sketchers as a potential shoe purchase). A lot of shoe companies sell casual shoes which fit most, of not all, of the criteria for "reduced" shoes as described by the folks hashing out the standard on this forum. They just aren't marketed as a running shoe.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7