Singing the praises of my foam roller

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
When I'd been running (shod) a couple of months, I started having a knee issue. It ended up being my IT band as well as my quads. A friend of mine is an Ironman triathlete, so of course she's been through it all! She showed me how to correctly use a foam roller.

The first few times I used my new foam roller, I literally had flashbacks to my unmedicated labor. :) I called it the "Blue Foam Torture Roller of Death."My quads and IT band were so INCREDIBLY tight. Thankfully, using the foam roller regularly (almost daily) and sticking to flat surfaces worked. I got loosened up, and I lost very little training time. Within maybe a month, I was even back to running hills.

But I still had bad running form, and despite frequent use of the foam roller, as my distance increased, I started having the same issues. When I ditched the shoes (and the long runs), I was so pleased that my upper legs and knees were feeling amazing.

So I got lazy. I figured I didn't need to do much with the foam roller. I went on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks, and used my mom's roller once or twice, but other than that, I didn't use one, despite continuing with my regular runs, continuing to gradually increase my distance. At the end of the trip I felt that old knee pain. So frustrating!

Using the roller, I was getting on top of things, but last Thursday I forgot to use it at all, and I went on an evening run. I had to stop multiple times to massage my quads. I was so frustrated!

Then today was my "long run" (which is up to 3.75 miles.) I spent a LOT of time using the roller before the run, probably 25 minutes at least. I'd had an even longer session last night. And guess what? My upper legs/knees felt GREAT!! Two days after having tons of tightness, I was fine, thanks to that trusty foam roller.

One thing I've learned from my friend who taught me to use it, and from something Jimmy H. (I think) wrote here, is that you can't just quickly roll the muscles. You have to focus on the tight knots, staying on that area for awhile. That really gets the tightness worked out.

The foam roller has become such an indispensable part of my training. It takes some time to use it properly, especially when I let my legs get really tight, but it's so worth it!

Here's the one I got when the foam of my first roller broke down. This one doesn't break down, and I like the extra knobbiness of it:

It's called "The Grid" from Trigger Point. You can get it on Amazon (click the pic for the link) or from the Trigger Point website. I don't have any connection with them, other than being a fan of this product!

The foam roller just feels almost magical to me. I love to tell people how much it's helped, hoping it will help other runners too. Of course it doesn't solve every injury, but when an "injury" is due to muscle tightness, sometimes a foam roller can get you past it really quickly.

Yeah, Beth!  Thanks for

Yeah, Beth! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks C.Beth, Trigger point

Thanks C.Beth,

Trigger point therapy is definitely cool!

I've been running since I was 13, but new as of 3 months to BF/minimalist running. I experienced the tightest calves of my life (after doing too much too soon) in July and August, terrified at one point that I had hurt my achilles, then tendonitis in my left ankle as the muscles from an old sprain adjusted to the new form. It seemed that as soon as one area felt better another needed serious attention and I was a complete mess for weeks and wondering if I was insane to be making such changes after 27 years.

Luckily my good friend is a PT specializing in myofascial release and she started working on me and teaching me about trigger points. I now have golf balls, tennis balls and other blunt-ended items around to work at various muscles I didn't even know existed before all this- like abdominal muscles around the navel which help to achieve release in the hips (?)

So in response to this roller idea, I'm suddenly thinking that a small unsplit log from the wood-pile would have the same nubby rolling effect? Foam just doesn't seem firm enough and I have a cord of wood to choose from. hahaha

twinkletoes--well, the wood

twinkletoes--well, the wood probably would be an effective (if somewhat masochistic) option! :D

Barefoot Jason posted a link on his site that recommended using a rolling pin. I've tried that, and it does offer more resistance.

I just got a new foam roller

I just got a new foam roller after my old one had seen 4 years of good use. It's amazing how much firmer the new foam roller is. I use is mainly for my back. I have horrible posture and tend to get an achy upper back after runs longer than an hour. But a good session with the foam roller makes me feel like I'm about 2 inches taller.

Beth - Thanks for sharing

Beth - Thanks for sharing this link and info! I've been using a regular wood rolling pin on my calves and feet for a while now, but thought the foam might be better (until I took a look at the pricetag!! Sheesh!) Not too long ago I raided the kid's toy boxes for those foam nerf balls to roll my hips into. Those work great, but I think I need something a little larger. Gonna check kids toys next time I'm at the store (or even get some tennis balls). You gave me some great ideas! Thank you!

zapmamak--This particular

zapmamak--This particular roller IS expensive, but I figured it was worth it. The first one I bought was I think about $18, and it lasted several months before the foam broke down. This was $40, but the foam WON'T break down, so it should last years. I even counted it as a health expense and used money from our Health Savings Account for it (and for the other roller!) :)

Yeah, tennis balls are good. And for feet, golf balls are a nice size. I've been using golf balls on my feet a lot lately because my arches were cramping up. It's helped tremendously.

I think the rolling pin is fantastic too, and provides a ton of resistance. I didn't even think of using that when I got my foam rollers.

I think 2010 is the last year

I think 2010 is the last year you can use it for OTC products though.

Longboard wrote:I think 2010

Longboard said:
I think 2010 is the last year you can use it for OTC products though.
Wow. Dude. You REALLY are a walking encyclopedia. You should be an app for the iphone. Seriously.

Went to a chain sports

Went to a chain sports bar with the guys after work last night.

Before the burgers the talk around the table was college football.

Afterwards it was all NFL.

I sat there silent the entire time with my eyes glazed over.

Just a nerd, that's all.

You're right, Longboard, it

You're right, Longboard, it is. :((

livebyfaith--WOW, $10 is

livebyfaith--WOW, $10 is great! I haven't seen them that cheap.

The reason $40 was worth it for me is because I use it a TON. I didn't want to have to keep replacing it. So for me it's a great deal (even better than a $10 one that I'll have to replace repeatedly.)

The nubs on it are cool too. :)

Do you suppose a roller would

Do you suppose a roller would work to loosen up the calves, THEREFORE, heal the plantar fascia?

TJ--I'd say it's worth a

TJ--I'd say it's worth a shot. I don't have plantar fascitis, but it does help with Achilles-related heel pain.

You could always try a rolling pin. Jason linked to info recently (on his blog) that suggested rolling the calves with a rolling pin to help with Achilles pain (again, not plantar fascitis, but...worth a shot.)

I tried the rolling pin last

I tried the rolling pin last night after reading this tread, actually. I had my hubby use it on me...and I think he enjoyed that. I, however, DID NOT! Ouchiemomma! Hurt like hell, in a good sort of way. ;-) I don't think it did much for me, but maybe I have to use it several times to get any improvement. How often per day should I subject myself to this torture treatment?

Hi I like DIY stuff so I

Hi :D

I like DIY stuff so I wandered around the hardware stores for a couple days a while ago, looking for inspiration, and came home with a piece of 50mm PVC pipe and the foam insulation for it. And that's it. Cost about, well, next to nothing and it works prima!

I must say that my rolling

I must say that my rolling pin has no foam. Sissies!