SIGH (my injury?)

swedishpimple

Barefooters
Jul 18, 2010
I hate bad news... but here goes:

I have developed some pain in my lower left medial side of my tibia.

At first I didn't even notice the shin pain... it was persistent calf tightness that was most troubling for me. But, as I probed deeper... in an attempt to loosen up the stubborn muscles of my lower leg I discovered that the source of pain was actually seemingly originating from a spot, directly on, or adjacent, possibly behind, the bone itself (about 3" up from the ankle). Needless to say this has me worried.

Since discovering the sore spot I have taken 5 days off from running... the pain still persists. It is not an intense pain... maybe a 3 on a scale to 10. If I poke the spot around the source of the pain I can get it to fire up to maybe a 4. I occasionally feel pangs of it walking around and sometimes at rest too. The muscles that were tight before continue to get tense and tender as I go through my daily routine.

Long story short... I am concerned that I may have developed a stress fracture.

I take full responsibility for my injury (if that is indeed what it turns out to be)... as I drastically upped the intensity of my workouts ("speed work")... while at the same time running with less rest than I should have. I also switched from a mixture of trail running and pavement... to all pavement. ... Classic recipe for disaster shod or not.

Thinking back... I first noticed the sensitivity in the region when I was roller blading a couple of Saturdays ago... the boots were digging in to that region pretty intensely... So part of me is still holding out hope that it's just a deep tissue or even just a bone bruise.

For now I am continuing to rest. I will make an appointment with the Doctor should the issue continue very far into next week.

I believe we can often learn more from failure than success. So if I do end up injured... I will try to look at as a lesson that will ultimately make me stronger and more importantly smarter. Also since I am sharing this here... maybe it will help someone else too.

Anyway... I'll try to keep you all up to date.

I'm hoping for the best possible outcome... so toes crossed please.

Thanks for listening...

S. Pimp.

Sounds like a stress

Sounds like a stress fracture. So you think the skate boots caused this or contributed to it? Sounds like you know what to do about it and are thinking smart anyways. Let's not forget that lots of shod runners also experience stress fractures, so it's not necessarily because you were running barefoot.

TJ -I don't know if it was

TJ -

I don't know if it was the boots. But, it was during and after that roller blade outing that I first noticed that anything was wrong... and it was on my subsequent runs where I started to have issues with tightness and pain in my left leg.

... Anyway - I am trying to stay upbeat and positive about this and particularly until I can get a more definitive diagnosis.

It's still possible that I am mistaken in my evaluation of my injury. Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time I have thought the worst and been proven wrong.

S.P.

Yes, let's hope for the best.

Yes, let's hope for the best.

Maybe it's just a bone bruise

Maybe it's just a bone bruise from the boots. I've gotten similar with ski boots. Kind of a coincidence that's it's right where your boot hits. I doubt that the boots would cause a fracture, though.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts