Sidelined!

bfsailor

Barefooters
Feb 7, 2012
Erie, PA
Hi everyone,

I haven't been commenting on here too much lately for a number of reasons, mainly because I've been really busy and not doing a lot of running, so I haven't had much to contribute. I did run a couple of 5K's in the fall, and was really looking forward to some great runs this spring and getting back in the groove, but disaster has struck in the form of a major injury.

And it's not even running-related.

I was on a cruise ship in January, and on the last day of the cruise I slipped on the bottom step of some stairs near the pool - I didn't fall but landed hard on my right foot. Blinding pain in my right knee let me know immediately that I had done something very bad.
The doctor on the ship took x-rays and confirmed that nothing was broken - she taped it up and I left the ship on crutches.

Two weeks and an MRI later I got the bad news - partial tear of the quadricep tendon. This is not good.
I've been getting PT and improving significantly, but I saw an orthopedic doctor today. The good news is he has decided surgery is not required, but I need to really go easy on my knee for at least 2 more months - no activity more aggressive than walking. And no running for six to nine months.

So I guess I'll be celebrating IBRD this year with a barefoot WALK.

I'll continue to post updates on my progress, and I'll be reading about all your running adventures and waiting very impatiently to re-join the fun.

Bummer. Heal soon, Sailor! :nurse:

Reactions: bfsailor
That SUCKS!!!
Good thing you're a sailor so you can spend lots of time in the water rehabbing.
Sending good bibes your way:oldman:

Hey Sailor,
I've had two quad tendon ruptures requiring surgery (one in each leg). The good news is that you can fully recover to be active without restrictions. The bad news is that it will take much longer than other knee related injuries. The main thing is to not push it. Going slow will prevent patellar and quad tendonitis. Believe me they are _not_ fun.
Let me know if you have any questions and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Hey Sailor,
I've had two quad tendon ruptures requiring surgery (one in each leg). The good news is that you can fully recover to be active without restrictions. The bad news is that it will take much longer than other knee related injuries. The main thing is to not push it. Going slow will prevent patellar and quad tendonitis. Believe me they are _not_ fun.
Let me know if you have any questions and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks Jack for the positive outlook! Hearing from someone who's had the same thing and recovered is always a morale booster.
But yikes! - one in each leg?! That must have been pretty discouraging at the time.

"Not pushing it" is going to be tough, but I do want to fully recover, so I'm forcing myself to take it pretty easy. I can walk pretty well on it, and my physical therapist has me doing a lot of stretching exercises and some low resistance stationary biking. All kind of boring, but it definitely seems to be helping. We shall see! :)

LOL they were about 10 years apart. The first was a full rupture during a basketball game and the second was a partial tear playing tennis. At least you can do something physical. The good thing about physical therapy is you can pick the brains of the therapists. I learned a lot about how my body functions and how it s is _supposed_ to function.