Shoes...

Scott G

Barefooters
Mar 7, 2017
Serious question: Does anyone race faster barefoot then they do with shoes? Injury concern aside, if I want to go as fast as possible then I feel like I need to wear shoes and I was wondering if anyone had a different point of view.

I currently run in Vibrams, but was contemplating transitioning back to trainers. Sorry, not completely barefoot...

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
depends on the distance and the surface,

but so far, half marathon (road) became easier and faster without shoes (1h26 barefoot and no reason to try with shoes anymore).

maybe one day I'll be able to say the same for longer distances and / or more chanllenging surfaces.

I ran faster barefoot than in shoes or VFFs. It hurt my feet to run in shoes. That could be why, but I also think it's because I felt free and lighter without shoes.

Reactions: Tyler J L
I am still learning to run properly on barefoot, but I recognize your view. When I want to go faster, my technique changes and I prefer something on my feet as well.
But I want to get good technique, so right now I am not doing fast intervals anymore

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Thanks for your POVs. I am just trying to decide between gravitating back to shoes or continue on my path and which will let me maximize my speed. Not all races I enter have nice pavement and there is less to worry about when running with shoes on your feet. No sidestepping uneven pavement or watching out for gravel the whole time. Even with Vibrams, gravel and rocks are not a pleasant experience. I think just the fact that I could run without thinking where my feet are landing might make me faster...

The issue I am having is finding a shoe that doesn't bother my feet or feel rediculously clunky now that I have adapted to Vibrams. Maybe I'll go with you guys and just take everything off my feet. Decisions, decisions...

Serious question: Does anyone race faster barefoot then they do with shoes? Injury concern aside, if I want to go as fast as possible then I feel like I need to wear shoes and I was wondering if anyone had a different point of view.

I currently run in Vibrams, but was contemplating transitioning back to trainers. Sorry, not completely barefoot...
Believe it or not, sometime I run faster with shoes because my feet haven't conditioned much to barefoot running. Plus when I do Special Olympics sports, shoes are a bit better for those except for swimming of course.

training barefoot helped to race faster with shoes
(because it taught me to run better)

now, I race barefoot when its fun to do so,
and I race with shoes (I prefer sandals if conditions are not muddy) when my feet require protection

but I still train barefoot, as long as it stays fun,
even my fast intervals, because even during fast intervals you have to develop a good technique

It all depends on what you want from your running. I didn't care about setting PRs. I just wanted to run injury/pain free. I know there are a lot of barefooters who can run very fast over long distances on various terrains with bare feet, but they conditioned their feet to do so. If you keep your feet covered in shoes while you run, even with VFFs, you're going to condition your feet to run well in only shoes. If you free your feet while you run, you're going to condition your feet to run bare. If you want to run bare without pain and injury, then you'll need to give it the time and patience it requires. Don't give up. You'll get there.