Shin Splints – Self Help Tips, Treatment and Prevention From The Barefoot Running Doctor at Team Doc

Shin Splints – Self Help Tips, Treatment and Prevention
From The Barefoot Running Doctor at Team Doctors
By Dr. James Stoxen, DC

In this article is everything you ever wanted to know about shin splints and more!

You may not rush off to your family chiropractor or alternative medical center for this but I have found that conservative treatment at our chiropractic center with an integrative medical approach works.

Shin splints are one of the most common causes of overuse leg injuries are also known as medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS), soleus syndrome, tibial stress syndrome, periostitis, exercise induced leg pain and chronic exertional compartment syndrome. (1)

Some say shinsplints when it is really shin splints. I have even seen it spelled chin splints which should be reserved for boxing. ha ha

Shin-Splint-Pain.jpg
What are shin splints?

People come in with sore shins or pain in the shins, which is described as pain along the inner (medial) edge of the shin bone of the leg. Some complain of shin pain, inner (medial) calf and shin pain.

Shin splints are achy pain areas that occur with during or after over exertion or exercise and are aggravated by sticking your thumb into the shin bone and pressing down.

The symptoms of shin splints are not like that of the shin injuries you get from getting kicked in the shin.

Shin splints or the medical term, medial tibial pain that’s why they call it tibial medial stress syndrome because there is too much medial tibial stress. For the complete article, please visit: http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/12/21/shint-splints-self-help-tips-treatment-and-prevention-from-team-doctors/?utm_source=Shin Splints - Self Help Tips, Treatment and Prevention From The Barefoot Runnin&utm_campaign=shin splints&utm_medium=email

Well, the spring theory does make sense and I read about it in a couple of barefoot books. But I still don't know how it should feel, this springiness. How do I know if I run on springs or on levers? By the way I don't know how it feels to run on levers either. These are just words, theoretical descriptions which don't seem to relate to me moving in and feeling my body.
It's difficult to describe... In Dr. Mark Cucuzzella's video his legs spring up seemingly without any effort. It's just awesome. I don't know if mine spring up behind me and what should I do to make them if they don't...

Regarding spring theory, you are assuming we are all built the same and unfortunately, we are not and our bodies have their idiosynchroses. Some people will thrive with barefoot running and others will have problems. Some will also have shin pain even barefoot, because their gait is uneven and this affects the core, the angle the muscles work at and simply explained, some of us a cadillacs and some of us are chevy's, biomechanically speaking. We need to be flexible enough to try different things to find the best approach for ourselves. Others, will need perhaps a minor correction with a minimalist shoe. Symmetry is king in all sports and running, a lack of symmetry will have consequences to our core and the way we feel, in fact, in the book Cheating Mother Nature, it explains that this is the basis for most chronic pain syndromes that physicians have difficulty diagnosing and treating, mainly because they do not understand the mechanics and look at where it hurts rather than why.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts