picture-5191.jpg

Date Reviewed: 03/19/2011
Review Type: Race
Barefoot Friendliness: 4 Below Average

Brackenridge Park
3910 North St. Mary's St.
San Antonio, TX
See map: Google Maps

This was I believe the 28th year for the Shamrock Shuffle in Brackenridge park by the San Antonio Zoo.

The run starts out on some cobblestone like paths that weren't too bad, then transitioned onto the asphalt for a little while. The asphalt is chip and seal, but it's pretty worn down and relatively smooth, so this was a nice stretch...and then the trail!

The course turns off of the asphalt and enters a wooded area where the path started as some very crumbly old concrete that is more concrete chips than anything, then I found the edge of Hell.

There was some sort of base material which I think was crushed limestone. This stuff was packed hard and would have been OK except for the fact there were rocks covering the entire surface that ranged in sizes from marbles to about golf ball size. It was completely impossible to avoid the rocks. I eventually surrendered and moved off the path and into the terrain next to the path. This was not an easy alternative surface but I found it better to run on than the rock path. There was a very thick bed of fallen leaves, but underneath the leaves were rocks, sticks, etc. I slowed my pace and just tried to land lightly and keep moving. I'm not sure how far this portion of the course lasted, but it was freaking torture to my feet.

Finally we popped out of the trees and back on to the asphalt. This was a welcome relief and I enjoyed the rest of the run.

The important stuff: Post race there was cold beer (Guiness, Smithwicks and Harp Lagar), water, sausage wraps, etc. There was a bagpiper there and a little band. Overall the race seemed well organized and I have no complaints about the check in process or any aspect of the race organization.

I will NOT do this race again barefoot. Maybe with some minimal shoes.