SERIOUSLY, wine or beer at fatigue point

snowshoe_hare

Barefooters
Apr 4, 2010
So, I was talking with a friend who has gotten into MR from being around me too much and reading Born to Run....

We both like beeer and wine once in a while...

He said that he was road racing once and a fellow biker shared a water bottle with him, because my friend was empty... Turns out the bottle had WHITE WINE in it.... The biker apologized for giving him the wrong bottle, as the biker was SAVING IT FOR HIS FATIGUE POINT (or certain point along the course i.e. the wall in a marathon)...

Turns out some folks in Europe use a bit of wine or beer at a certain point to RELAX... an gives them some calories...

I tried a bit of white wine after my 16 miles this past weekend... (less than 4 oz., as too much will probably goober things up ,eh?!?) IT WORKED MARVELOUSLY!!! Relaxes and Dreamy!!!

So, later that day... I knew I was pushing the envelope... I went mountain biking (or sand-box biking as I call it in the L.P. of Michigan) with the friend stated above... We had a celebratory beer afterwards, and I felt FABULOUS!!!

NOTE: these small amounts of alcohol were also consumed with other fluids and solid food....

I'm thinking about stashing some on my long run this weekend at mile 18 [of 20]... and having a smidge DURING my Spring Marathon...

Whatayathink?

I'll be doing a trail half

I'll be doing a trail half marathon in early June. It's an out-and-back route. I found out yesterday that the aid station at the turn-around point serves beer and wine (in small paper cups, but still... ) By all accounts, it's very popular with participants.

Alan

very interesting! I'd imagine

very interesting! I'd imagine you'd need some water to balance out the alcohol though no? Since alcohol is dehydrating. I'll have to give it a try :) Cold beer does sound appealing while hot and thirsty out on a long run

They give out beer at the

They give out beer at the Peachtree Road Race here in Atlanta. You can also stop off at a restaurant along the course and have a meal if you want to. If your finishing time is no concern, sounds like it could be a fine day.

Yeah, you DEFINITELY want to

Yeah, you DEFINITELY want to have some fluids (and food at a longer race) to wash down with the alcohol...

AND MOST DEFINITELY do not over do it, eh?!?!?

Let me know I you give it a try....

Sometimes, for me, the hardest part of running is RELAXING... let it flow... a few ounces of your favorite beer or wine should do the trick, eh?!?!

I'll keep you posted SHH.

I'll keep you posted SHH. Have a long run coming up in a few days, would like to do 13-14mi...might just have to bring along a tasty white wine for the trip. Though I usually don't have a hard time relaxing on a run..this might just put me over the edge LOL :p

I've experimented with beer

I've experimented with beer during long runs. My experience was exactly like yours... I felt much better afterwards. The caveat- the hoppiness was tough. I tried Sierra Nevada P.A., the bitterness after 25 miles of running was unbearable. I tried LaBatts Blue, still a bit too bitter. Normally, I LOVE hoppy beer, but it just didn't work. I think the bitterness was greatly enhanced as a result of the fatigue. This year, I plan on trying a light beer or even Mich. Ultra. I will also experiment with wine. This will be FUN research!

This idea has got thinking I

This idea has got thinking I need to try some experimenting on long runs just to see. A light beer it will be to start with which I would normally never drink but for the sake of better running I will sacrifice.

Mokaman, it is amazing what

Mokaman, it is amazing what lengths you will go to for the cause
smilienotworthy.gif

cheers.gif

The research continues....I

The research continues....

I think white wine is the best so far.... lots of calories and a modest amount of alcohol.......

I can't do wine.  It gives me

I can't do wine. It gives me a head ache. I like liquor...but then again, I only have a drink 3 or 4 times a year...okay, maybe a little more than that. I had a Rum Runner the other night out to dinner. That was yummy.

Well, I haven't so

Well, I haven't so far...but...when I was little...sssh!...Don't tell my mom...I used to drink Tickle Pink by Boone's Farms. Anyone remember that so-called wine? Very yummy. I can't remember if it gave me a headache. It was so cheap you would think that it should.