[Sep 7, 2012] Barefooting Bob Running First 100 miler (Lethbridge AB, Canada)

Barefooting Bob

Chapter Presidents
Jul 18, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
Barefooting Bob attempting to run the Lost Souls 100 miler in Lethbridge, AB Canada barefoot. This will be his first attempt at a 100 miler. Lots of single track, hills (about 17,000 ft of elevation change), cactus, rose bushes, etc. and maybe some rattle snakes (I really don't like snakes).

Wish me luck

Good luck, Bob, but most of all have fun and keep that smile on your face! We'll be thinking of you, and if anyone can report in for you during the 100, we would like to be able to give you some good vibes and send messages your way. Gotta love technology these days.

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
There is internet access for the entire course, so I will try to keep everybody updated. Messages might get a little weird the longer I go though, so I will applogize now for any discretions that I might make. :oops:

If you want to follow along with my progress or just to ensure that I am still moving forward here is the link to the tracker.
http://racepro.ca/results3.php?id=52

I am BIB #36 or search under NICOL, just don't follow Jim Nicol who is #37, he is my long lost brother. But if he is faster than me, then it would be ok if you assumed he was me.......;)

Good luck, Bob.

Now, I have to admit: 1) I did not know that there were cacti and rattle snakes in Canada (I always figured that Canada was more wet/rainy territory more suitable for bears), and 2) I'm always surprised when I see a Google map of another country; even though I know it's ridiculous, my default assumption is that Google Maps are US only. OK, I never said I was worldly...

Well, all I can say this is a crazy race I finished 96km of the race, tweaked my knee slightly and had to pull myself. I ran 18 miles barefoot and the rest in a combination of VFF's and NB Minimus 110 (the first time I have run in shoes in a very long time). The hills (coulee's)were crazy single track with a 80 -85 degree incline both up and down. I now know why the elites usually finish the 100 miler in 22 to 24 hours and the time limit is 35 hours. But I will be back.