Semi-Formal Barefoot, almost.

PeggyC

Barefooters
Sep 20, 2010
I have wanted to ditch high heels for years but have always been talked into suffering in them by my husband for special occasions. This past weekend though, I bought real black ballet shoes and wore those to a military ball. No one even noticed, and I was comfortable all night.

just wanted to share.

Awesome!Yeah, I've been

Awesome!

Yeah, I've been struggling with my high heels lately too...just looking at them makes my now muscular and extra-wide feet groan...I've got a box full of shoes to donate to charity. Ho hum. At least I don't make it out to formal events very often. Will keep the ballet flats in mind, fer sure!

But, now that I think of it, I did get married in pure white leather Chuck Taylors. So I guess I haven't been TOO much of a high heel girl in the past. :lol:

I tend to go barefoot at all

I tend to go barefoot at all the military balls :). I show up in heels, remember that I'm not really capable of walking in them sober, let alone dancing in them intoxicated and they get left under the table the entire night and then carried back to the hotel. I count on everyone else being too drunk to notice or care. So far that has served me well. Never tried showing to one barefoot though hmmm maybe next time :)

I'm contemplating going to my

I'm contemplating going to my shod running club's Christmas party barefoot. I just can't wear shoes anymore with the neuromas and stuff anymore. If I have to try something, I would probably give ballet shoes a try, except I would think the toe box would be too narrow.

Where did you get them, Peggy? What brand, etc.? Is the toe box wide?

TJ, you chickened out last

TJ, you chickened out last year at that same event as I recall.

You women folk might as well take advantage of the double standard western society offers you

and just do it. My wife Diane finds that the more formal the affair, the more accepted her bare feet become.

I got your chicken, Board!

I got your chicken, Board!

My wife and I got married

My wife and I got married barefoot. Course, we did it standing ankle deep in the ocean in Haleiwa, HI, so shoes wouldn't have worked all that well anyway.

Nice, DB!

Nice, DB!

Barefoot TJ wrote:I'm

Barefoot TJ said:
I'm contemplating going to my shod running club's Christmas party barefoot. I just can't wear shoes anymore with the neuromas and stuff anymore. If I have to try something, I would probably give ballet shoes a try, except I would think the toe box would be too narrow.

Where did you get them, Peggy? What brand, etc.? Is the toe box wide?

Ballerinas don't care about foot health (think "pointe" dancers!) They aren't anything I'd run in, but for a few hours they were plenty comfortable. I got them at PayLess of all high end shoe stores!!!! I was glad that I called the stores first because only 1 of the 2 in town carried black, white, and pink. the other only had pink.

I've realized another thing about why this is good. My husband is only 5'8" and I'm 5'2", so with heels, we are close to the same height. barefoot, he looked taller and I looked smaller.

Thanks, Peggy.  I decided not

Thanks, Peggy. I decided not to go to the party this year. I have missed going to so many of the activities that I feel like an outcast, although I am their newsletter editor. Being the one and only barefoot runner doesn't help either. ;-)

I have an old pair of ballet

I have an old pair of ballet slippers. They Aren't pointe though. I thought about running with them and dug them our of the drawer but it has been so long since I've danced that my feet are too big for them now.

Hi! Cruising by and noticed

Hi! Cruising by and noticed the topic. I just returned from a week long cruise vacation. While on ship there were several dinners I attended that were "cruise elegant" for dress, which is "wear your best suit and tie" for the guys, and can go as high as a tuxedo for those wishing to go traditional. I wore my all black KSOs to all but one of the fancy dinners, much to the chagrin of my wife. Many noticed my footwear and no one had a bad thing to say that I heard. Some came right out with questions and were genuinely interested in how the shoes fit. I guess it's as they say.... people will be too busy geeking out about shoes with toes to get worked up about whether they were/are aesthetically appropriate to what you're wearing.

John

Right, DuneTraveller!  If you

Right, DuneTraveller! If you have to go to such an affair, get yourself KSO's in that nice, formal black, and then you'll have them for running in the rest of their long lives. Understated elegance!

But do they go with a

But do they go with a dress?

Welcome, Dune!