scuba diver booties = winter-time bliss

snowshoe_hare

Barefooters
Apr 4, 2010
So, since Michigan, generally only has 3 months of bad skiing.....

START LOOKING FOR SCUBA DIVER BOOTIES ;o)

AS POSTED LAST WINTER DURING MY TRANSITION.......

This was a HUGE revelation for me!!!....... I saw some folks talking about neoprene socks and such... I keep hunting around on-line and stumbled upon these:

www.scuba.com/manufacturers/deep-see/">Deep See
  • Durable traction sole
  • Water entry barrier
  • Heavy duty zipper
  • COLOR: Black
  • SIZES: 5 through 13

It was 17 degrees with no wind in Michigan this morning. The main roads had a lot of snow and slush in spots. Side roads had packed snow and icy spots.

These booties performed REMARKABLY well. I got them at a local dive shop [I told the lady I was going to run in them... she was speechless... I get that a lot lately..]
    emo-thumbup.gif

You can find MANY variations on-line from ~ $25 - 45.

Since I decided NO MORE SHOES, this has gotten me back outside running (and I used them snowshoe running with success!). I am SUPER EXCITED after much frustration...

The sole is VERY flexible, as I can roll them up or bend them in half with a couple fingers.

I wasn't sure about the upper going past the ankle (they make below the ankle variations), but I, actually, like it very much. My ankles were warm and dry. My tights stay snug around the bootie and don't creep up.

I wore thin, smartwool trail running Phd socks with them. They got moist from sweat, but my feet were PERFECTLY WARM the whole time!!!!!! (side note: I tried compression socks with snowshoe running and they were too tight, I think. My toes got very cold)

I did 3 miles running and 2 miles snowshoe running with GREAT HAPPINESS!!! I hope and pray this helps you folks struggling in cooler climates......
idea.gif

I thought about tying my

I thought about tying my hubbies scuba diving booties last winter, but they were too big for me. I wondered how they would feel that high around and above my ankles if I had worn them. I can see the fabric and sole construction getting someone through really cold weather though.

Thanks for the post,

Thanks for the post, Snowshoe! I'm all in a bind right now wondering what I'm going to do in winter, been asking at RW.de and looking at Fleabay and Scamazon.. there are so many possibilities, but I can't really try before I buy because I live on the Arsch der Welt. The most important thing in your review for me was the mention that they're flexible. That's the one thing I've been concerned about. The soles look pretty stiff, so I've been hesitant to prder a pair.

I'm a little late to the

I'm a little late to the discussion here, but I remember you telling me about these on the Runners World forum snowshoe. What is the sole like compared to a VFF in terms of thickness? It looks like it would be similar to a pool shoe. Am I correct there?

I bought a pair of cheapie

I bought a pair of cheapie (7Euro) Aqua Shoes last week. I was excited to see them at the store at all, and they seemed pretty well-made. However, after getting them home I realized just how badly they smelled. Really bad, like, putrid. It's some kind of horrible cheezy rubber and or adhesives and I decided there's no way I'm putting my feet in those things.

So, still feeling inspired to get a pair of these things, I went to the local sports shop, not expecting much, and taa daaa... I got a pair of really nice Neoprene shoes for 16 Euro - they're from "Aqua Sphere", very well-made, no chemical fumes at all.

I bought them a size bigger than usual, thinking it'd be better to have a more toe room. I've run in them once so far. On the pavement, they flap around a bit, but off-road, where I spend 99% of my time anway, they really seem to be just the ticket.

Of course, summer just started and I won't be using them again till it cools down considerably, but I'm happy to have found my winter "shoes".

Oh, they're also pretty good as relatively "normal" looking minimal shoes - I wore them last night to go out for dinner. My wife wasn't happy about it, but my feet were thrilled :D

(priorities change after 25 yrs of married life...)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test