Say hello......

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by dodgy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Shufflefarm

Shufflefarm Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

:)  Small whorld indeed!  I

:) Small whorld indeed! I know Allbrook well, having grown up in Surbiton Road, just off Twyford Road running up to Allbrook. Was your interest in Vertebrate Palaeobiology sparked by trips down to the Itchen river near Rosemary Crescent?

As for Eastleigh's tolerance for adult barefooted individuals, it's pretty good - i've only had one negative comment and that was a passing one from a young man in a flourescent jacket who called me a "pickey"!!!!! Other than that, people are curious but cool about the whole thing. After all, it's nothing like as unorthodox as another bloke from Eastleigh - the 'Naked Rambler' - presently languishing in a prison in Scotland I think........

Anyway, I've enjoyed wandering around barefoot all Summer but and wondering if/when to cover up as we progress into Winter. Do you get to do much running yourself? Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Cheers, Stephen.

p.s. do you still have the 'heavy metal' (martial arts?) baton?? :)

p.p.s. Don't suppose you remember a person called Lawrence Potter from your Allbrook days, do you? Just wondering.

2. Stig Walsh

Stig Walsh Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi Stephen,A small world for

Hi Stephen,

A small world for certain!! I laughed my socks off (sorry, of course I don't wear or even own any - bad turn of phrase in this company....it won't happen again) when you mentioned the 'Naked Rambler', as I'm these days based up North of the Border, albeit not as a 'guest of Her Majesty'. Up here the attitudes towards people without shoes are not as easy going as you describe for Eastleigh these days, but I'm very glad you don't run into too much trouble. I suspect it's a lot to do with the weather difference between Hampshire and the Lothians.

Before coming here I lived in Portsmouth for 12 years (where I kind of got 'stuck' after my PhD), and attitudes there where pretty relaxed too - few people even looked. This summer I went to one of my favorite German Mediaeval markets barefoot. In those there is usually a discount for people who turn up 'in character', and that's how I normally go. The reaction this time was incredible, almost as if I'd turned up as the 'Naked Rambler' in fact. It seemed odd considering there were far more barefoot people around in the Middle Ages than your average Edelmann. Shoes were then very much a luxury.

I do run barefoot as often as possible, but at present that's unfortunately not that often. I've mostly taken to wearing VFF KSOs, though I do find the seams under the big toes leave nast sore spots on runs of over 5 Km. Although I normally go barefoot a great deal over the summer, this year I've made a determined effort to wear shoes as little as possible, and I've only had a foot covering on where absolutely necessary. As a result, I've been astonished how as the temperatures have dropped I just haven't noticed the cold on my feet! Now, I'm loathed to put shoes on because I know I'll lose this aclimatisation. Have you noticed this?

Ah, the Itchen - aren't those slimy chalk paths great to walk on barefoot? Good for the balance too...

Lawrence Potter doesn't ring any bells, but it's quite possible my memory is faulty these days. Did you used to spend much time at the old quarry pit? A lot of us spent whole days over there. The old staff has long since bitten the dust, sad to say. Which school did you go to, BTW? Sorry, all this banter is not really the thing for this thread, I'll stop now! It's a shame I'm not in Portsmouth any more, it would have been nice to catch up in person!

Stig

3. Shufflefarm

Shufflefarm Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hello Stig! Hope things

Hello Stig!

Hope things aren't too nippy up in Lothian at the mo, it's still scarily temperate down here. I find my feet stay warm as long as I keep walking but as soon as I stop, the ground seems to suck all the warmth out of them. Like you, I really don't want to be wearing footwear a) 'cos I enjoy wandering around sans shoes and b) I want to keep the soles of my feet as aclimatised to the ground. I've just entered the Brighton marathon and really want to do it barefoot so I'm very conscious of keeping my feet in condition for April. Any tips or recommendations? A friend suggested wearing arm sweatbands around the ankles as it keeps bloodflow in the feet, keeping them warm. However, I suspect a "wind up" may be closer to the truth!

Can't say i've ever used VFF's myself - funny that I'm happy to be seen barefoot but not in VFFs! - I have a pair of VIVObarefoot EVO II's that I use when I don't fancy staggering around the Queen's highways and byeways in the dark. They're good for running long but I've had to modify them as they were rubbing around the achillies and ankles. All sorted now but it didn't feel good cutting chunks out of trainers I'd paid about 65 quid on.

Incidentally, I smiled broadly when you mentioned the Quarry Pit!!! I spent many a happy hour up there with mates though it frequently led to a b*llocking from my mum. She was worried about my swimming in it and she always said a kid had died down once getting stuck in the mud at the bottom of the lake. Funnily enough, I jogged near it tonight as I jogged along Boyatt Lane to Chandlers Ford. In answer to your question, I went to Toynbee as Cresswood wasn't open at the time I started Secondary school. How about yourself?

Anyway, hope you're keeping well.

Cheers, Stephen

p.s. Say hi to the Naked Rambler for us won't you ;-)

4. Wain

Wain Barefooters

Hi there people!     Nice to

Hi there people!

Nice to read some of you stories and not feel alone,

I have suffered with knee pain since early teens then pretty much gave up running sports until my early 30s, only to be horrified when it came back, most of my running is off road on the hills and fells and at first i thought it was the rough ground conditions so i went cushioned, but pain got worse, then early this year i mixed bare foot and chi running style and have made major breakthrough, now it feels so odd putting on shoes with a heel, totally unnatural, really looking forward to a new year of running pain free in the peaks!

5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Welcome, Wain!

Welcome, Wain!

6. Wain

Wain Barefooters

Thanks TJ!

Thanks TJ!

7. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Be sure to join the UK

Be sure to join the UK Chapter under the Chapters tab above too.

8. Chris Bonner

Chris Bonner Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hello there!

I've being running barefoot/minimal for about 18 months now. I live in Salisbury and often go running in the New Forest.

Be good to find some other barefooters in the area, I see there's one or two nearby - give us a shout if you fancy a run!

:)

9. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Hi Chris, welcome! Be sure to join the UK Chapter through the Groups link above.

10. Colin Turrell-Brown

Colin Turrell-Brown Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi All

I've found you!

I've a resident of Sunny Milton Keynes, been running barefoot for about 3months - and loving it.

I'll say I'm still in the transitional phase as I still have to take it easy to avoid b*ggering up my calves for a couple of days. but the distances are increasing. I have entered the 5k in Brighton, so have been trying to get out more so I don't expire half way round.

I used to be a high(ish) miler club runner, but took a few years out for one reason or another. I couldn't get my heart back into pounding along in trainers, but being barefoot has put the joy and fun back into my running, so I now have the motivation to get on the trails.

I hope there are other bare-footers in MK as I'm sure I can't be the only one?? ( although the reactions I get up in the woods from the bikers and walkers makes me feel like I'm definitely in the odd squad!)

Anyway- good to meet you all.

Colin

11. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Hi Colin. I love that barefoot running brought you back to running. That is so key to so many people. Be sure to say hello to the chapter presidents for the UK, so they know you're here by clicking on their avatar picture and choosing Start a Conversation. We're working on getting better email notifications set up on the site, but right now, it's lacking. Welcome to the BRS! -TJ

12. Bareanna

Bareanna Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hello fellow Uk-ers. It seems I am the third person from Brighton on this forum. Either we are the most crazy or the sea front is just great for it.

I had given up on running after years of kickboxing/taekwondo and various other knee damaging activities caused my right knee to start screaming at me. So I rested, did yoga. My knee is better now and I have only recently been tempted into barefoot running. I absolutely adore it already. There is something about running with your shoes off that makes you feel like an absolute child! I haven't bothered with buying any footwear, although I may invest eventually - is it worth it? I ran down to the seafront through town today in my trainers and just couldn't wait to get them off, I then ran back through central Brighton with my shoes off.. Only a couple of odd looks.

Okay, maybe more than a couple. I am starting small and working my way up again. No complaints from my knee so far!

13. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

"Changing the running world one odd look at a time." ~Jason Robillard

You're in good company!

Darkand likes this.
  14. drrtyrunner

drrtyrunner Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi everyone, I'm Tim from East London. I've tried to get into running for the past couple of years as the headspace it puts me in is second to none, but up until recently could never get past the lower back, knee and hip pain that would set in around 20mins of running and gradually get worse. Then I read the book! I'd already familiarised myself with the theories behind unshod running and it all made sense. I also remember watching Zola Budd doing her thing barefoot but the book sealed it for me and I bought a pair of VFFs and haven't looked back. I did my first parkrun in them saturday gone and finished in 24:01. My real passion lies in trail running but the VFFs are pretty useless in the mud for grip so I am picking up a pair of Vivobarefoot Breathos on wednesday. I would actually like to try true barefoot running but am a little self-conscious so if anyone in London is up for the odd short barefoot run, do giz a shout.

Stephanie likes this.
  15. ChasingShadows

ChasingShadows Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Thought it was about time I left the barefoot pub & made my way over here!
    I'm up in Southport (reading this thread, so was the 2nd ever UK member here, shame they seem to have disappeared). Started BFing just over a year ago after looking for shoes that would let my feet move properly & making the startling discovery you can run without them!

Sharon

Stephanie likes this.
  16. ColinH

ColinH Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hello everyone, I signed up to Barefoot Runners Society a few days ago. I started running when I was too busy to go to the gym. I'd never been a runner and so, 6 years ago, at the age of 56, was new to it, but found I loved it, despite the constant pain in my legs which I thought was par for the course for runners and suffering ever worsening arthritis in my left big toe. Until, that is, I read Born to Run last June whilst travelling backwards and forwards on the train to attend for jury service. I had the same epiphany that so many others seem to have had on reading that book. Since then I've been walking and running in minimalist shoes (Vivobarefoot). The arthritis pain in my toes has disappeared and the joint is much less swollen. And my running is now also pain free. This morning I walked for about 1k barefoot and ran a little of that. I can now understand what all the fuss is about! I know only one other barefooter who lives nearby but he doesn't run. It would be good to connect with any barefoot/minimalist runners in the North West.

Stephanie likes this.
  17. Runningcat

Runningcat Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hello, another UK person here (based in Cornwall). I've just posted in the main introduction section so I won't repeat all of it here, but just to say I've only 'discovered' barefoot running recently and so only done small amounts so far but am absolutely loving it! (I've been running in shoes for number of years before this, no major problems really but I just love the feel of running with lighter shoes (or ideally no shoes at all!). I've just ordered some Vivobarefoot Evo's (which will be my first pair of 'barefoot' shoes and can't wait to try them out.
    Look forward to 'meeting' you all! :)

Stephanie likes this.
  18. Tom Greenwood

Tom Greenwood Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi guys. Just saying hello. I live in the new forest and have been running barefoot for about 3 years. It has solved my previous knee problems and now I am able to run regularly with no one problems at all so far. And it is so much more fun than running in trainers!

That said, I also have a pair of vivo shoes that are good, and some Luna sandals that are a good compromise when running on harsh terrain in the forest. Luna's are great because you can flick then on and off when required.

Nice to find other enthusiastic barefoot runners in the UK :)

Room

Bare Gilb and Stephanie like this.
  19. Bare Gilb

Bare Gilb Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

A big hello from another New Forest member! Great to see there are some like minded locals emerging from the woodwork.. would love to hook up to explore more of this fantastic area.

Divide my runs up between minimal trail shoes, huaraches and barefoot - as spring takes hold and summer approaches I'm hoping to reduce time spent shod - as Tom suggests, this is easier said than done with some of the tricky trails around here...

Chuffed to be part of a growing community of Barefoot Brits and look forward to getting active on this forum! :D

Cheers all

20. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Gilb, please feel free to join the United Kingdom Chapter from the Chapters link above. Welcome! And, BTW, what is your avatar?