Say hello......

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by dodgy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Shufflefarm

Shufflefarm Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hello everyone.Started

Hello everyone.

Started jogging last August and in January, decided to slip off my trainers at the and of a run and try barefoot. A few weeks later, it felt stranger running in shoes than not, so I've ditched them altogether and am currently building up the minutes running barefoot (currently at 25 minutes every other day).

I'd been interested in the idea of BF running since December after I stumbled across a Youtube video of Michael Sandler whizzing around in barefeet. I was then lucky enough to get the Michael Sandler book for Christmas, so after a bit of reading up, I was ready to go for it a few weeks later.

Must say, I'm really enjoying the liberty and sensation that trotting around barefoot confers and so far, I've had no injuries other than a scraped big toe and bruised forefoot pad, neither of which have held things back....

All my running's been done on pavement and road, up and down hill and by streetlight (I go out after the kiddies are put to bed) so for anyone thinking of going for it, just do it and build up slowly. I jog every other day and build up by 5 minutes every week, providing my body and feet are up for it.

I live down in Eastleigh in Hampshire so hello to all, especially anyone down this way. Looking forward to the 5k in Brighton in May!

2. Piggyback RidePlease

Piggyback RidePlease Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom
    2. International

Nice to see that the number

Nice to see that the number of UK barefoot peeps keeps on growing. My city (Brighton) now has 2 BF'ers, me being the 2nd that I know of, (me beginner, other BFer does full marathons BF - not sure if he's on the BRS).

So, hello to all the new peeps.

:beer:

3. Shufflefarm

Shufflefarm Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Interesting that you're in

Interesting that you're in Brighton, I used to live there myself (for about 12 years) until 2003. Still miss the place even now but settled where I am, etc.

Last September(ish) I bought a HRM off a guy in Brighton as he had just bought a pair of Vibrams and could no longer use the foot pod thing with them (needed laces to secure device). Judging by the data he left on the watch when I received, he was quite a serious runner. Anyways, perhaps there's a few more BF's trotting about, like this chap?

Incidently, shortly after I sent my first post in this thread saying how well things were going, I got nobbled twice in the space of a week and have had to take a week or two off to recover. Just started slowly building up again, though using Vivo's now and only a little barefoot as injury still present. (Bloody Sod's Law!!) As a matter of fact, I was looking through the injury forum and noticed your post about Metatarsalgia. My front pad thing turned out to be caused by a miniscule piece of pointy glass (at the second time of looking over the course of a few days). I thought i'd bruised a bone or something to cause this sharp pain across the forefoot (you imagine alsorts) but in the end it was a splinter.

Shortly after, I picked up something more serious. Though it looks like I got a splinter in my heal, I got stabbing pains from there going to my ankle. Now after a couple weeks of rest, I'm just getting back into things - heal is still painful to walk on but less so as days pass - perhaps I strained/pulled something in that region? I'm still not sure if there's something in my heal though but it seems a bit late to start digging around in there again and so far, there are no signs of any infection starting from a foreign body.

I'm using footware now as last thing I want is ANOTHER splinter, but I really miss running barefoot. The Vivo's rub so I might look for alternatives. Funnily enough, my heal to ankle pain was nowhere when wearing the Vivo but I did try barefoot most recently after Vivo's started rubbing and the pain started to return for a immediately stopped and ice'd the heal when I got home. I can only presume the I my running form was causing this and was different between vivo shod and BF. Just going to take it as it comes........... Have you had any similar experience yourself with this kind of injury?

Anyway, cheers for now and hope to meet you for the 1/5 BF 5k.

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Good luck with that,

Good luck with that, Shuffle. Hopefully, you are over the worst of it and mends are on the way. I think it's smart to take it one day at a time. Just be aware that something could still be logged inside yet not producing an infection.

5. Piggyback RidePlease

1. United Kingdom
    2. International

[Shifflefarm]If the guy you

[Shifflefarm]

If the guy you bought your HRM from mostly goes full barefoot (i.e. un-shod) then it must be the "other" one!

I've had 2 splinters (one from in my house!) and 1 other possible splinter that I dug about for & didn't find. On getting the metatarsalgia I became increasingly suspicious of the "possible" splinter site but people advised against digging again. Eventially I became frustrated at the lack of improvement and decided that as it seemed I was in for a longer than wanted(!) healing I'd excavate. I didn't find anything but the following day things were much improved. I now only seem to get the "metatarsalgia" (not certain what it is), "a lump" anyway, first thing in the morning followed by the rare intermittend hint that fades quickly in the rest of the day. I hope that within a few more days I can run again. It has been about 2 weeks which is a bit of a bind but I have known way worse before I crossed to the other side (i.e. from shod to BF).

The Evos made my heel to sore to ware them after a while.

Hope you're better now.

6. Shufflefarm

Shufflefarm Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hey folks, Thanks for your

Hey folks, Thanks for your best wishes. Things look like they are getting back to normal and am now back to BF'ing agiain. Shocked at how little time it seems to take (say 2 weeks)) before the skin goes soft on the bottom of your feet! Skin was peeling badly on 1st decent run the other day in BF. Anyways, building slowly again.

Thanks for the headsup TJ re: splinter. Still getting pain so like Piggy did, will have an excavation soon.

Evo's still rubbing around bottom of ankle so will look to sort that soon. Sorry to hear about your own troubles with them, Piggy.

I must say, I can see why so many people say "start with BF and then move on to minimal footware afterwards". Last week, I did a run only in the Evo's (same route as my BF run and no further) and afterwards my calves were really sore! It was the first time I'd ever had that issue as I'd never had it from BF'ing. I suppose it just goes to show that even in minimalist shoes like EVo's, running style does change (I can thibk of no other reason for the creaky calves problem). I since covered the distance 50/50 Evo/BF and no problems. Mind you, I think wearing the shoes allowed me to trot round quicker so that may have been it? Has anyone else found this? If so, how long before your running form gets established and stays the same even in minimalist shoes or is it the shoes themselves?

7. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

It's amazing!  Dodgy and the

It's amazing! Dodgy and the Brittaliano Lapoiaveccia looked just like they were writing in English. I just missed the gist of about half of it. Um...what's a fell? Like a down? I thought I'd been innoculated - I married a young lady from Wiltshire, but clearly she's been pulling her linguistic punches to protect me.

Welcome all nonetheless. And Happy Birthday PBRP!

8. Piggyback RidePlease

1. United Kingdom
    2. International

[SuffleFarm]My

[SuffleFarm]

My "metatarsalgia" (that I put down partly to a splinter site issue) is 95% better. I still get a "lump" feeling when I first get up and from time to time BF about the house. I remember having this mild lump in my right foot and after a while doing BF runs, when I could, the lump faded until I got it no more. I am going to try a gentle BF run today, I think I've given it a lot of time for the main problem to go and I hope that the lump is just a "growing pain". Fingers crossed.

[JosephTree]

A "fell":

1) An upland stretch of open country; a moor.

2) A barren or stony hill.

There's a sport called "fell running" which involves running races over the "fells" or hills. Calling them "hills" might belittle them and the effort required in some of these races. Wikipedia tells of it here.
    I never got as far as entering any races. I managed to get my training runs up to about 12 miles over our local "fells" which are a bit tame compared to the "normal" fells. Injury in shoes kept nailing me so I never got into it. I want to get my barefoot running back to the point where I can carry on expanding on that 12 miles across the downs (our tamer version of the fells where I live).

9. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

I missed your birthday, Pig. 

I missed your birthday, Pig. Sorry! [​IMG] Happy Birthday to you ! [​IMG] Happy Birtday to you! [​IMG] Happy Birthday dear Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiig! [​IMG] Happy Birthday to you! [​IMG]

10. Tony Morse

Tony Morse Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi folks,Well I've just

Hi folks,

Well I've just signed up to BRS.

I am a former shod fitness runner and have steadily been losing interest/inspiration in the gym where I have largely been stuck since an ankle injury/surgery 8 years ago

I was fortunate to travel winter 2009 and spent 6 weeks barefoot running on beaches. So knowing the benefits and wanting to reclaim my health/vitality/inspiration/focus/WAIST!! :-D etc etc etc, want to get into barefoot running and have decided to go minimilist first.

Now the big question is...there are so many products out there on the market its a bit confusing for a newbie, any tips/recommendations/reviews would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to get started by the end of march and who knows, set my first goal to be the 5K in Brighton :)

many thanks in advance

Have fun

Tony

11. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

It's definitely best to

It's definitely best to relearn how to run by going barefoot before wearing any type of shoe. Your plantar skin will help limit your ability to do too much too soon and injure yourself. We have found that the skin conditions at about the same rate that the connective tissues (between the calves, the Achilles, and the plantar fascia) condition.

With that said, if you must have something on your feet, then a pair of regular cotton socks is the best possible minimalist footwear out there. If not, look into some huaraches (or make your own) or water socks/aqua shoes.

Welcome!

12. footloose2

footloose2 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi from West Hampshire.New

Hi from West Hampshire.

New member but been barefoot running for 12 years.

I have put a longer posting on the introductions thread in the main forum!

I'm off for a run on the nature reserve!

13. Shufflefarm

Shufflefarm Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hello! welcome to the BRS.

Hello!

welcome to the BRS. you live over New Forest way? I generally trot around my town Eastleigh which also was a parkrun. Now the weather is getting warmer, I'm barefoot most of the time. I get some funny looks sometimes when I do the School run :) I Haven't been in the Shops in town yet though. Have you ever been refused entry or turfed out a shop for being barefoot?

Anyway, nice to know there's someone more or less local BFRing and for such a long time too! I'm still trying to persuade a work colleague to start using his new VFF's . No joy yet but I will get there in the end...

Happy regards, and I hope to see you at Brighton, assuming you're doing the 5k on l/5/ll? check out the News section if you're not aware.

cheers!

14. footloose2

footloose2 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Shufflefarm wrote:Hello! I

Hi Shufflefarm

Thanks for the welcome.

I was barefoot hiking in the forest last weekend! Rather dry, I like a bit more mud.

Shops are only a problem if there is a 'goon' on the door looking for a reason not to let people in. Many barefooters including me have been thrown out of tescos. Museums and galleries are often a problem but that's about it.

Only just found out about the Brighton run. Probably a bit late but you never know!

Cheers!

15. Maddy

Maddy Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

HelloJust joined.  Based in

Hello

Just joined. Based in Newport South Wales. Been running on and off since 2004 - did NY and Rotterdam amrathons (slowly but beat the sweep)

I did a very structured (for me) transition to BF about three years ago when I had free access to a track - literally started with mostly walking and a coupl eof 100m run intervals and built as as my feet and calves adjusted. Since then running has been sporadic and I have been using raceing lights so not minimalist at all.

Looking to get back into it but definately minimalist this time - basically skint but have seen some aqua shoes which will give my feet some protection against Newport streets

The thing I could never get my head around while running minimalist/bare foot was the increase in speed my head always said i can't run this fast

16. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Welcome, Maddy!  I've been

Welcome, Maddy! I've been running barefoot for three years now. After the first 10 months of running barefoot, I was able to take 15 minutes off my half marathon time. It seems most people I talk to see speed increases as well.

Glad to have you here!

17. Stig Walsh

Stig Walsh Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Shufflefarm wrote:I generally

Ha! I used to spend most of my childhood barefoot around Eastleigh (we lived in Allbrook), and at that time I don't remember people batting much of an eyelid. There are different rules for adults, though, and I wonder if things would be different now. After all, back then (in the early '80s) I used to carry around a broom handle with sections of copper pipe on the ends - don't think I'd get away with that now, either as a child or an adult!

18. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Welcome, Stig!

Welcome, Stig!

19. Stig Walsh

Stig Walsh Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Thanks Barefoot TJ -  I

Thanks Barefoot TJ - I probably should have introduced myself in the new members section, but being a barefoot rebel like the rest of us here I jumped straight to the UK part. Over the next few days I'll be reading through past posts and getting fully up to date with the past few years here. All I can say is that it's good to know there are plenty other of us out there...

20. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Here, there, it's all good.

Here, there, it's all good.