Say hello......

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by dodgy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. dodgy

dodgy Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Ciao! UK member #2 here

Ciao! UK member #2 here [​IMG]

Started running on & off a couple of years ago & always enjoyed it, but could never manage more than 2 or 3 miles without getting knee pain.

Then last Jan/Feb I seemed to remember hearing something about running on the forefoot being more gentle on the knees, so looked into it & found Barefoot Ken Bob's site & never looked back!

I live in very unhilly Southport & long to run in the hills!

2. dodgy

dodgy Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Good stuff.I was in

Good stuff.

I was in Ambleside t'other day & noticed one of the shops was selling VFFs...not seen anyone wearing any yet tho'.

I was only there for a couple of hours so couldn't get out onto the fells, but squeezed a quick circular road run in from Clappersgate down to Elterwater. Actually had people slowing their cars to peer out the windows to stare at my nekkid feet! They're far too reserved in Southport to do that...

We're back up there for a week in September, so I'll test out the barefoot-friendliness of some fells for ya. Any suggestions? I thought Loughrigg may be a good easy intro to BF fellrunning...

3. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Don't give up the good

Don't give up the good fight, Dodgy. Just because they're not used to seeing people without shoes on doesn't mean you can't make them get used to it.

4. dodgy

dodgy Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Cheers for that. I wasn't

Cheers for that. I wasn't thinking of Scafell just yet! More along the lines of Latrigg, High Rigg, maybe some of the fells around the back o Skiddaw - nice round grassy dudes. Think the aqua shoes may well be in the bum bag too as a back up!

Hmm you've got me thinking now...imagine the Westmoreland Gazette headlines if I was a barefoot mountain rescue casualty....

5. tavis69

tavis69 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi, I've just joined the BRS

Hi, I've just joined the BRS after a few months of minimal / barefoot running, and about 5 years running total. I've tried barefoot and still want to continue building up miles in bare feet, but most of my runs are in naughty Chinese fake Vibrams. I have 4 pairs, run mostly in the Bikila version although I find them too painful for stony footpaths. I live in Newport, South Wales so there is plenty of opportunity for varied running, from nearly flat canal- and river-side running, to fell-like conditions and everything in between.

I've found that the Vibrams, in my experience, allow you to build up speed and distance "too early" in the transition, and so I'm mindful to control the miles I do. I got over some mild ITBS, and now have a slight tendonitis on my left inner ankle, but i mostly manage to run through such minor setbacks.

6. Piggyback RidePlease

Piggyback RidePlease Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom
    2. International

Hello Everyone.It's a long

Hello Everyone.

It's a long story... so I'll cut it short. Shod runner, got up to runs of about 12 miles over the South Downs with a view to doing the Beachy Head marathon: injury - 18 months with plantar fasciitis, recovered, about 2 months later tried to learn POSE & probably got it wrong "toe planting" using racing flats: 2 years with plantar fasciitis in the other foot, just getting over it now having missed out on so much running!

This has given me plenty of time to read about stuff like barefoot and the whole idea makes sense to me.

Lesson learnt now I hope. I am planning to go barefoot as much of the time as practical. I'm going to try & follow the 8 stage plan and although I think I could start at stage 2 I really see no point in gambling again so I'm about 1 week into stage 1 (just walking about barefoot).

I do have a pair of Evo II shoes (that look fab) for more social occasions (like when my wife would not be impressed if I went barefoot!) or for if I need to bail out of a run but have already found they chaif my heel tendon (achilles) & currently need a plaster to prevent them getting too sore - not sure if that's just because they're new. Hmmm. I have emailed the makers - but I can't return them as I have worn them. I have mentioned this & asked them if there's anything I can adjust/modify sensibly & await their email.

I live in Brighton (so dead handy for the South Downs National Park for hills/trails, parks or the long flat concrete sea front).

Oh, and it's my Birthday today :)

7. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Happy Birthday to you!   

Happy Birthday to you! [​IMG] Happy Birthday to you! [​IMG] Happy Birthday dear Piggy! [​IMG] Happy Birthday to you! [​IMG]

See I don't get this part. Companies won't refund our money because we've worn their shoes, but how are we supposed to find out if their shoes damage us until we wear them?

Welcome, Piggy!

8. Piggyback RidePlease

1. United Kingdom
    2. International

Thanks for the B'TJI hope

Thanks for the :party: B'TJ

I hope Terra Plana will at least respond to me asking if there's a way for me to mod' the shoe my self. I did clamp a pair of mole grips on the heel tab of one shoe for a day but I don't think that's helped. I have since heard another person say they got over the heel rubbing after a while. I've not given up on them yet but yes, how are we meant to make the "right" purchasing decision when we can't send them back after getting it wrong?

I have piles of "wrong decision" old shoes; fell running, trainers, racing flats etc. This leads to another ethical question, should I bin them so no one else has to endure such things or should I recycle them possibly leading some poor (in several senses of the word) person suffer them with false expectations (when they probably don't realise that they're better off without shoes).... perhaps I've answered my own question H)

Ahh, I guess that's something for another thread :)

9. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

I have often struggled with

I have often struggled with that very question and spoken to others about it at my first home, "that other forum," and I came to the conclusion that the people who receive these shoes didn't get them with running in them in mind, so they will probably be okay. Just don't donate high heels or something crazy. Our holding back and/or burning our shoes isn't going to help those people who are intent on looking for shoes. They are going to find some one way or another.

I am still contemplating adding the Soles 4 Souls ad to the site here. Not sure just yet how to go about it, since it would cost the donator money just to mail the shoes to Soles 4 Souls. They do accept cash donations though, so that's why I would put it up.

Now, if we were to gather them all together and put them in a gigantic bon-fire, that might get our word out.

10. tavis69

tavis69 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Nice part of the world,

Nice part of the world, Piggy. I lived in Brighton for a few years in the mid-90's, and it was a fabulous place to get my first job (Ericsson in Burgess Hill, I was one of 2000-odd employees and now the office is closed). I shared a house, had loads of spare cash even though my wage was not that great, and of course I was there when Brit Pop really took off.

I think most running shops worth their salt will take shoes back which have only been used for treadmill running, and are reasonably new (say 30 miles or less on them).

I have been running in fake VFFs for a while, but I'm really going to make an effort to run more barefoot from now on. It's just the nagging knowledge that a drastic reduction in miles will result in a drop in fitness which is holding me back. I think the VFFs are getting me injured though, I can run so much faster in them and I guess my muscles aren't ready yet.

11. Phil Hart

Phil Hart Barefooters
    1. Georgia
    2. North Carolina

Welcome, Steve.  Glad you've

Welcome, Steve. Glad you've found some local running buddies.

12. Piggyback RidePlease

1. United Kingdom
    2. International

Barefoot TJ:I got this reply

Barefoot TJ:

I got this reply from Terra Planna after emailing to ask if there was anything I could modify:

"We have contacted Head Office regarding your enquiry. They do not recommended you modify the shoe and have suggested a product called Compeed Gel. It may be a good alternative to plasters."

I was glad that Terra Planna at least bothered to reply & offered a suggestion. Obviously I'd not be wanting to need to do this & it would influence my buying decision if I thought this was going to be the requirement. Having said that, I am still sticking with these shoes for now without the "Compeed" (just for walking about outside to get the kids from school etc. and as a barefoot backup). I've not got anything better at the moment. I am currently having a little less heel rubbing after around a week. Perhaps it's like some walking boots, you really have to ware them in. I've probably had the Evo IIs on for about 1 hour a day of easy walking outside.

Tavis69:

Yes, Brighton is a great place to live. I worked in Burgess Hill too a long time ago for around a year and I also know some people who use to work for Ericsson too, (I didn't).

Sadly I did not get my shoes from a shop but from direct from the manufacturers via the net. It probably would not have made any difference as I did not use them on a treadmill but outside & it's clear that they've been used this way.

Hey, I don't think you need worry so much about a reduction in miles if you go barefoot. At least you can talk of miles, you should try my distance; 250m walk yesterday (but I don't think I picked the easiest surface to try - see my blog if curious)!

13. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

I would think the gel would

I would think the gel would make them slippery.

14. tavis69

tavis69 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Compeed is expensive stuff as

Compeed is expensive stuff as well. It's possible you can wear them in. Do the shoes have a stiff heel counter? I know some wearers of inov-8 shoes steam the heel counter, then go out for a run in the shoes with the heel counter softened by the hot steam. That way the heel counter moulds more to their heel area and stops rubbing.

My guess on the miles is that I would go down from 15-20 mpw and rising, to 5-10 tops. There just wouldn't be the cardio-vascular workout. I'm trying to hold myself back in whatever I wear, and looking to accelerate the BF transition by actually running BF after every shod run.

15. Piggyback RidePlease

1. United Kingdom
    2. International

On the Evo front I have found

On the Evo front I have found that the left shoe (that I left overnight a few days ago with mole grips on the heel to bend it back) is rubbing less that the right one with no noticed adverse effects and the difference is quite noticeable now between the 2 shoes. I am now mole gripping the right shoe in the hope that this will make them more comfy for my right foot too. I don't think it's "the" solution but I already have the mole grips & don't have any Compeed!

I have zero cardio from BF at the moment of course (with just mini walks) but I know it should not be long before I start to get a little as I move to stage 2 and beyond. I'm so glad that I have tried proper BF walking outside to start with a couple of times now because it's such an eye opener for what to expect (i.e. no marathons on day 1!). A proper BF run of any length (on any surface) simply would be out of the question for me as my feet are still so sensitive. This should be a good thing as there will be no way of TMTS for now and TMTS has been my nemesis (that and the shoes!). The cardio can wait for a little longer in my case. I'm happy to pay a little now by missing out on some fitness in the short to medium term if it leads to many years of potential fitness in the years to come.

16. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Just thought I would drop by

Just thought I would drop by and say Hi...I have been running in VFF for about 7 months and am determined this year to go truely barefoot. I live in a sleepy town called Ware in Hertfordshire, which does have a running club, but it seems a bit elitist for me and my barefoot ambitions.

I am looking to start a local running group, mainly so I can run with other likeminded people and was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

17. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

What state are you in,

What state are you in, Scoundrel? Welcome!

18. Britney

Britney Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom
    2. International

Hi everyone.I have been

Hi everyone.

I have been running for 10 years now, started minimal running just over a year and a half ago.

This has changed my outlook on running, im no longer as competitive as I used to be and the change of footwear has helped me enjoy my running more. It makes me feel more at one with the terrain. I have even managed to clock up some mileage whilst deployed to the desert (it was a slower run due to sharp pointy stones everwhere) but I can safely say VFF can withstand a lot of extreme temeratures and surfaces.

I had even managed to get one of my bosses to give it a try, he gave it a go and as far as I know has never looked back.

So far though I have not met anyone else in the area where I have been living in nofolk since september who is a barefoot/minimal runner.

Mike
    :)

19. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Welcome, Mike!  Not many VFF

Welcome, Mike! Not many VFF wearers in the desert, right?

20. Lukeor

Lukeor Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi,Im your typical Newb

Hi,

Im your typical Newb barefooter. I saved and saved and got my VFFs end December (sales…).

I been running a long time shod, since I was 11 (I started knocking out 4 miles, much to my mums dismay; she thought I should be playing footie). Anyways, I found joging about at Ju Jitsu much less stressful to my knees and thats when I started to research barefoot.

No injuries untill just under two weeks ago - started to push a little further, and busted my foot somehow (I posted on it) after 4 miles through south london, although I live in North.

Just aggrevated that injury with a further mile or so. Wasn't the smartest plan.

If anyone wants someone to BFR with in London, I'm new to the area, and I'm game once my left foot stops being crap.

Luke