Running technique question

SI barefoot

Barefooters
Jul 15, 2014
Carbondale, Il
I'm new to this forum and about 12 weeks into barefoot running/barefoot living. I feel like I'm progressing well, but I find I tend to be a little obsessive about tweeking my technique. Do people notice if they hold tension in their glutes as a way to increase their forward propulsion? When I increase the tension in mine I effortlessly accelerate. It feels like a push more than a pull (as when you accelerate with your quads). Is it practical to hold tension for very long runs or will it insidiously lead to wasted energy and other compromises? For the time being the soles of my feet can't handle too fast of a pace for too long. I'm hoping this will eventually resolve.

Reactions: dharmadan and Sid
I find that my form continues to grdually change as my body adapts to barefoot running even after 4 years. Although various ways of thinking can help me run more lightly or relax or feel stronger, I find that just trying to enjoy it helps a lot, too.

I find that my form continues to grdually change as my body adapts to barefoot running even after 4 years. Although various ways of thinking can help me run more lightly or relax or feel stronger, I find that just trying to enjoy it helps a lot, too.
I also agree with HSB on evolving form over time. I've found that tension for short period of time might work for you but over longer periods of time it can be very tiring. Just the concentration alone would do me in, I also like to run relaxed.

While I keep a lot of the advice I've read in the back of my brain, when I'm running I, also mostly try to run as relaxed as possible. But as issues arise, I pull tricks out of my reserve, sometimes deliberately, sometimes not.

Wednesday this week I was trying out a "sandy" trail that felt a lot more like cat litter. Planning for 10k, I began running in the grass just prior to the half way mark, due to the discomfort. Reducing the prickly sensation, I instead found myself bothered by some of the smooth rocks hidden in the grass. To make a long story short, without thinking, I discovered I was running much lower than usual (knees exaggeratedly bent like Groucho). I know this IS a suggestion I read from Ken Bob. Anyway I found that it fixed both problems. I was able to run much more comfortably and quickly on both the gritty sand or the rock underlaid grass, while picking up speed.

Cheers.

I don't think holding "tension" anywhere while running will be productive in the long run. Right now at this stage is the experimenting stage working on your form, sooner or later things will fall into place when least expected. It's good to try new things, but don't become to obsessive over it. Your body and feet will tell you something is wrong.

I've been playing with the whole tension in the glutes thing and what I have figured out now is to use it a boost, sort of like a shot of nitrous to an engine. It will push you to a faster pace and once you get to the pace you want, relax the tension and you will stay at that rate for a while. After a couple of miles, if my pace slows, but I still feel good, I add the tension and speed up again. I think it is a good technique for acceleration. I does feel like someone is behind you with their hand on your rump slightly pushing you faster.

As a side note, it's not a lot of tension and you shouldn't feel like your contracting your anus. You should feel it only above your pooper and a little in your lower back.

Reactions: happysongbird
Gotta try that glute tension thing, since inactive glutes have been my problem for some time...

It seems I found a way to ease pain when running on gravel - pump arms higher on front of body, thumbs moving approximately between solar plexus and chin height. Feels like it makes cadence faster and makes landing happen more on front of the foot, without making it feel too unnatural.

Gotta try that glute tension thing, since inactive glutes have been my problem for some time...

It seems I found a way to ease pain when running on gravel - pump arms higher on front of body, thumbs moving approximately between solar plexus and chin height. Feels like it makes cadence faster and makes landing happen more on front of the foot, without making it feel too unnatural.

Stronger glutes help with softer landing, too. Holding tension there helps you become more reflexive and bouncy.

I think I understand what you are saying. I tend to stick my but out and lean forward from the waist. If I focus on moving my hips forward so that I am in alignment it feels like I am tightening my glutes but really I am not. My mental image to do this is to feel like a rope is tied around my but and is pulling me forward. When I get this right, my pace picks up with less effort than when I am running with my but out and bent at the waist.

I was professionally advised to 'relax my quads to naturally engage my glutes'. It works for me. I also do quad stretching and glute strengthening exercises

Reactions: Sid