Running long 2 days back to back

miker

Chapter Presidents
Jul 26, 2010
Just curious to see how you all handle this kind of thing. I have a run in Feb. 2011 that has a 10K, 25K & 50K trail run on Saturday, followed by a 10K, 1/2 marathon & full marathon (run on county roads) on Sunday. What kind of training program would you recommend to get in shape for the middle to longer distances of these runs?

Is it just a matter of putting enough miles on the body (and feet) that these distances are no big deal? For instance, this morning I ran around 10 miles on trails (in VFFs) and I can walk around, but my feet are definitely sore. Not the soles, so much as when the foot flexes. I would hate to think that I had a run of equal or greater distance tomorrow. Would soaking them in an ice bath help?

Just trying to get this figured out early on. Thanks (as always) for sharing your advice and experiences.

What I'd do is to run a lot

What I'd do is to run a lot and do it on consecutive days, say a schedule of two days running and one day off. I don't think you have to run that far every time, if 10 miles are hard now, run 6-7 each day, just make sure to get your weekly mileage up as high as you can manage without doing so much that you need to take more than a day off.

I've found ice baths really

I've found ice baths really have helped my feet. I've had top-of-foot pain for a while now...even when my calf soreness went away the tendons in my feet are still growing. Try alternating ice baths with super-hot towels. Alternating heat and cold can really help, some say, and it feels crazy good!

mike i do the goofy challenge

mike i do the goofy challenge each year and it's similar to what you're doing. i have used hal higdon's plans for the race in the past with great success. his intermediate plan will get there perfectly trained for the task even if you're doing the longer distances in the race you mentioned. i've also been known to write my own plan based on my goals but i've got nearly two decades experience doing that so if you don't then you can't go wrong with higdon's plans. i'm also a huge galloway fan but for the double up i think higdon might be slightly better

I think it all depends on

I think it all depends on which races you are going to commit to. If it is the 25K followed by the half I would think if you trained up to the race weekend with a marathon training schedule you would be fine as your total miles will only be a bit more. If you are thinking about the 25K followed by the marathon you could adapt any 50 mile ultra training schedule to the distances you plan on running as most have you doing long back to backs on weekends. Here is one similar to the one I used last year. http://www.halhigdon.com/ultramarathon/schedule.html

Have fun!