Running is bad for old folks like me ...

They're calling me old at 36????? What's the mortality rate for people reading stupid articles?

I know, right? I'm 41, which means I must be dead and gone as far as the author is concerned...but after reading her background, it looks like she doesn't actually have any medical knowledge - she just talks to people that has medical knowledge, then writes it down...big difference...

I wish she would share the difference between runners and joggers, because she seems to be the only one that knows what the line of demarcation is. Now, that said, using her math, there is between a 0.000067 and 0.00002% chance of up and dying, just like that....I think those percentages are just slightly higher than dying of spontaneous decapitation...
Bah, this "article" reminds me of the sensationalism that I often see now on the NYT online. A writer finds a popular subject and writes something controversial that offends half the population. Their web hits go up. The media company is happy, and the writer, who is invariably an author of a book, gets some publicity possibly driving up their book sales. Boring, garbage, blah, no thanks! I've stopped clicking on popular NYT links in Google News.

If I'm going to die, I going to die on my feet, not sitting on my ass in front of a tv with a bag of crisps in one hand and a remote in the other.

Reactions: Hobbit
Bah, this "article" reminds me of the sensationalism that I often see now on the NYT online. A writer finds a popular subject and writes something controversial that offends half the population. Their web hits go up. The media company is happy, and the writer, who is invariably an author of a book, gets some publicity possibly driving up their book sales. Boring, garbage, blah, no thanks! I've stopped clicking on popular NYT links in Google News.

If I'm going to die, I going to die on my feet, not sitting on my ass in front of a tv with a bag of crisps in one hand and a remote in the other.

The guy that sold me my last pair of running shoes said it succinctly: I'd rather wear out than rust...

Reactions: Sid
Just park my ass end up so my kids have a place to park their bikes!

What a load of old crap! I had a heart attack in 1995 and ran a marathon in hot humid conditions 8 months later (4:45)and then a hilly half marathon (2:10) in the same weather conditions 3 weeks after that! Add asthma and developing AF to that and I still run with my dogs 3 to 5 miles most days of the week! Doc just smiles and says - "whatever you're doing - keep doing it!"

I am not sure if anyone had seen this, but the Wall St. Journal had an article regarding running shortening ones life. Apparently, it had to do with a journal article in Heart. Runners world responded with some thoughtful comments. Also, I have a full article on this in my blog posted today which includes a link to the runners world article as well. I have rarely seen any deaths from running. Read the blog post here
http://www.backfixer1.com/blog/can-...nal-examines-this-and-runners-world-comments/

I know, right? I'm 41, which means I must be dead and gone as far as the author is concerned...but after reading her background, it looks like she doesn't actually have any medical knowledge - she just talks to people that has medical knowledge, then writes it down...big difference...

59 next week, heart attack at 43, marathon 8 months after that, half marathon 3 weeks after that, AF, asthma, running 3 to 5 miles most days BF - seems to me as far as this article is concerned - I don't (or shouldn't) exist! Not to mention a couple of bottles of Barefoot wine each week with friends after one of my old dogs has hydrotherapy!

Reactions: Sid and NickW
Hi guys, 50 and still going strong. Came back to running about 18 months ago after some 15 years of inactivity. Decided to go minimal and minimal from the start. Currently doing about 20 miles a week at a training pace of about 9:30. I think there is life in the old dog yet. Oh and by the way, I partly gave up because of knee and back niggles, now running niggle and injury free.

Reactions: jldeleon and Sid
Well poo, I shall go and vegetate for the rest of my life now. Oh wait, I am going to die anyways because I do drink tons of water...I am all confused now.

Reactions: Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts