Running in the rain

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by mandytheartist, Jun 2, 2012.

1. mandytheartist

mandytheartist Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts

Today was a rainy day here in Boston. It was my 1st race in the rain. Anyone else ever do a race in the rain anyway?

2. dutchie53

dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada

When I lived on the west coast it seems like we ran races in rain at least 50% of the time. You just went and ran it, because if you waited for a dry day you could go for weeks and not get out. Just check with Nick and Jen, etc. about running in rain. Nick loves it. :)

jldeleon likes this.
  3. Lomad

Lomad Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Washington

If I didn't run in the rain I wouldn't run 9 months out of the year (at least). Ran in the rain today as a matter of fact...

paraganek and jldeleon like this.
  4. The Ramzev

The Ramzev Chapter Presidents
    1. Delaware

I like races in the rain. Less people show up; easier to win something.

BFwillie_g and Sid like this.
  5. NickW

NickW Guest

Hahaha! I actually laughed out loud and my wife looked at me funny! I do love running in the rain. Mike does too and so does Jen. I think Bob does too. If you notice my avatar is wet footprints as I was walking under a carport headed back home after a run.

jldeleon likes this.
  6. Go_Blue

Go_Blue Chapter Presidents
    1. Nebraska -...
    2. Nebraska -...

I don't race, but I do love running in the rain. Actually one of the most fun runs I've had to date was down south on the Gulf during the summer. I was on my way out of work when the skies opened up and sheets of rain started to fall. You could see the "waves" of rain moving across the parking lot, and people were held hostage in their cars, that's how hard it was raining. It was otherwise hot outside, so I figured, what the heck. So I quickly threw some running clothes on and headed down the street, in the torrential downpour for about four miles. It was AWESOME! I thoroughly enjoyed being soaked, and the fact that it felt awesome on the feet. I'd do it again for sure.

Robin likes this.
  7. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

I havent run in the rain much, but I dont mind it if its just a sprinkle. I do enjoy running in puddles, like I was a kid again! However wearing glasses it is a pain when its raining hard and you cant see anyhting. I remember this from high school crosscountry, if it was going to be raining hard I'd just leave the glasses off. My vision was a little better back then, and in anycase probably better then looking through foggy and water droplet covered lenses.

jldeleon likes this.
  8. pbarker

pbarker Barefooters
    1. Canada

Longest run in the rain for me was 23 k. Loved it. I think cooling off In puddles on a hot day can save your feet

9. NickW

NickW Guest

I wear a visor when it's rainy or really sunny because I wear glasses. Helps keep rain off glasses and helps shade the eyes when sunny. Too cheap to buy prescription sunglasses and contacts are super expensive too.

10. migangelo

migangelo Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

i love running in the rain especially if i get on the trail and it starts pouring. all the tourist runners leave and same with the hikers. one day when that happens i will strip to bare and streak the trails. i swear i will.

pitbullmamaliz, jldeleon and Robin like this.
  11. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

I need to get me a visor, that would solve most of my dilemma with rain. Always thought they looked a bit goofey and I have never tried them. I'll have to remember to look next time I'm in a store. I used to run in a ballcap sometimes but I dont like that anymore, like the head to breathe. I have perscription sunglasses though, sun is no prob.

Ok I'm done with the rain now. I dont want to ever take a chance I would bump into you in a rainstorm...
    LOL

jldeleon and NickW like this.
  12. dutchie53

dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada

Sounds like someone is sampling too much beer again. ;)

jldeleon and NickW like this.
  13. NickW

NickW Guest

My head gets too hot too so that's why I wear a visor. I am reading, slowly, this book by Dean Karnazes and he wears a visor in a lot of the pics, so I thought if he's such a well known runner and isn't afraid to rock a visor then I think I can get over my own issues. Besides, I'm a chubby guy running down the road pushing a stroller barefoot, what's one more odd looking thing? :barefoot:

As far as Mike running nekkid in the woods, I wanted to do that I think it was last week when I was running in the rain. I really think it would be freeing, although no one, and I mean no one (not even my wife), wants to see that. :D

jldeleon likes this.
  14. migangelo

1. Oregon

go fast and the rain keeps you cool. it's starting out with the cold purple shrinkage, that is the hard part.

15. Robin

Robin Barefooters
    1. California...

You'll be posting pics I guess:)

16. Robin

Robin Barefooters
    1. California...

On average 200-230 days of rain here...I like it very much except in winter and it's cold.

17. jldeleon

jldeleon Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. California...
    3. Washington

Um, he's been threatening this for a long time. I think he's a liar. He would be too afraid I'd be hiding in the bushes with my camera. :D

NickW and Robin like this.
  18. migangelo

1. Oregon

tj won't allow full monty. neither will i. at least not a pic with no reward for me.

19. The Ramzev

The Ramzev Chapter Presidents
    1. Delaware

Anyone planning a full monty should refer to the "How do you mow your grass" thread.

scedastic, Robin and NickW like this.
  20. migangelo

1. Oregon

apartment living means they hire people to mow the grass. nice.

Robin likes this.