running in crocs?

Jimmy Hart

Barefooters
May 11, 2010
in the december issue of runners world there is an article about a woman running 50 miles in all 50 states in 62 days. an impressive feat for a great cause as she did it to raise money for orphaned children. in the article it mentions that her feet were so wrecked she wound up running crocs with three pairs of socks on! holy extra cushioning batman!

Crocs are so loose, she would

Crocs are so loose, she would have to have at least three pairs just to get them to fit without moving around. Did she complete her goal?

she did accomplish her goal

she did accomplish her goal and raised a ton of money. it said all in total through various events she's raised like 4 million and for this one she did something like 600 thousand. i've thought about trying crocs in the past since the foot bed is flat. or at least it is the newer ones they have produced but man i was both shocked and impressed with this lady's ability to run in them like that. the article also said she went through like 15 pairs of shoes and 5 pairs of crocs!

Lorraine, from the link that

Lorraine, from the link that Norm posted, has been running ultras in Crocs for quite some time now and has garnered quite a reputation.

This is great.

This is great.

08_04+Old+Goat+50K.jpg

Not uncommon in Sweden

Not uncommon in Sweden either.

This guy, Peter Lembke, marathon/ultrarunner swears by it :)

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fteamfakta.se%2Fdefault.asp%3FTitelID%3D398%26Sok%3Dfoppa

(through google translate)

I guess I don't get it.  To

I guess I don't get it. To me Crocs represent the opposite of what we're trying to accomplish. If anything, I put them up near ShapeUps in terms of voodoo.

saypay45 wrote:I guess I

saypay45 said:
I guess I don't get it. To me Crocs represent the opposite of what we're trying to accomplish. If anything, I put them up near ShapeUps in terms of voodoo.
I don't know, they're mostly flat, light, wide enough for the foot to splay, and a lot less cushioned than many "reduced" shoes. I certainly don't think they're the future of minimalist running, but they aren't Shape-ups for sure.

i'm with norm.  i bought a

i'm with norm. i bought a pair after i beat my feet to death in the Disneyland half this year and they were a god send. they are flat, really wide, and i like them. are the minimal? no not really because they are thick but they are not squishy with the thickness and i find them to be like a bed for my feet. we lay down and rest our bodies to recover and i use my crocs in the same fashion. after a long run or when my feet are sore the crocs come in handy to let my feet rest.

not sure i would want to run ultras in them but i would be lying if i said i havent thought about cutting a pair down to be thinner and give it a try.