Running Barefoot Improves Memory

In my blog post for today I take a close look at this study. See

Does Running Barefoot Improve Your Working Memory?

The bottom line? There's no there there.
I'm not really surprised. Studies have found increasing light output at the workplace increases productivity. Another study showed that decrease in light output increases output. Other studies have shown similar opposite results. Experts have concluded any change if perceived positively will cause a positive change.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm not really surprised. Studies have found increasing light output at the workplace increases productivity. Another study showed that decrease in light output increases output. Other studies have shown similar opposite results. Experts have concluded any change if perceived positively will cause a positive change.

There is a real replicability crisis in a lot of studies these days (mostly in the social sciences). This study's lack of rigor gives a hint as to why.

Well, I have some anecdotal evidence. ;) I work in the farm and there's this regular job of herding particular cows to milking robot. Each cow has three digit id number at it's collar... Work is usually done by first looking from computer and writing down each cow's id that needs to be herded to robot and then proceeding to find and herd them. Usually there's something like ten cows, total number of cows at the shed is about 65.. One day (1-2 month ago, had started barefoot running for this summer) I realized that I could memorize the numbers almost as fast as write them down, and it's of course faster at herding process, because accessing memory is lot faster(=instantaneous) than looking at paper. Today I memorized 16 cows and it was quite easy task. And I do it usually 1-3 times a day, when I memorize new list of cows, old list fades away and there's no mix ups between old and new lists. I just know it, there's no doubt about it.