Running Adventures Part 1

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Cozmos74, May 31, 2011.

1. Cozmos74

Cozmos74 Barefooters
    1. California...
    2. Australia

Wow, I have been away for a while and this chapter has really started to grow. I've had some great running adventures since February this year and after a 6 week rest I'm about to head off on another.

I tried some fruit picking in February and March as part of my training for the Alpine Challenge 100 mile race. I also built my running up to 160km a week after work. It was gruelling but it had to be done. I managed to wear out a pair of Bikilas and a pair of Trek Sports in the process.

Most of my training runs where along the trails of the Murray river, where the trails were initially lovely and soft underfoot, like silk (clay actually), due to all the flooding. There was mud and water everywhere. It was HEAVEN. I love the feeling of the mud threating to drop me on my arse and my bare feet denying it.

Then it rained, and it rained again and the trails were all pretty much gone, vanished into a 1000 acre swamp. So I had to look further afield and decided to run Mt Buffalo.

The drive over was wet. I mean the road was underwater in some places, but i was determined to get in some mountains in the rain, I had to be prepared to run in any weather. When I arrived at the base of Buffalo the rain stopped for a while which was nice. I love the smells in the bush after a rain. Just my luck however The Big Walk ( i think that's the name, my map's in the car) was closed due to flood damage.

I decided to press ahead as I had driven 2 hours and thought I should see how bad it was. I might atleast get a few km's in. The bridge was badly damaged but easy enough to cross, albeit with a bit of care.

The single track is fantastic for running, the slope up Mt Buffalo here is just superp and allows for heaps of running. It's not so steep that you have to walk much at all really. I wore my Vivo Barefoot Evo's on this run - without socks. I never wear socks and I think my feet love me for it. In the wet conditions they were fantastic with one exception. I developed an irritating friction sore on the arch of my right foot, grit managed to get in there too causing more discomfort.

Luckily the rain was bucketing down by this time as the rockfaces were totally awash with water gushing down the side of the mountain, the trail itself was a creek. So I could stop when it bacame too much and wash them out.

The change in terrain from forest to rock is a highlight. The clouds were thick and visibilty was zero - the exposure out on the rocks was primal. Those rocks have been some of my favorite running this year. The whole trail was actually.

Towards the Chalet a massive waterfall pounded over a sheer cliff, I had to stop and yell to listen to my voice vanish in front of my face. How could I not smile? This was surely heaven.

The Chalet is abandoned and reminded me of The Shining. Perhaps this is why the run down was so bloody fast. If running up was nice, running down was flying. Keep your eyes open if you run here totally barefoot. For some reason there a few steel pickets hammered into the groung or cut off so they stick out just enough to ruin your year if you accidentally run on one.

All up the run took me 3:12 with a few stops to admire the surrounds and wash the grit out of the shoes.

The shoes would likely perform better with socks, but I'd rather try another shoe than wear socks - I hate them that much. So I bought the new Balance Minimus trail on Amazon and got busy with those. OMFG! I have fallen in love with that shoe. I wore them and some Vibram Treks for the Alpine Challenge 100 in march this year.

If I have totally bored you I apologise, but i just wanted to share some fun running times. I'll likely bore you some more with some more stuff about the Alpine Challenge soon.

p.s. Oh yeah I'll work out how to get some pics off my phone and post them too!

Run Smiley People.

Love yas all :)

2. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Cozmos,

That is some pretty hefty milage you are putting in there, where do you get the time, you must have a pretty flexible job?

We had a beautiful day in Adelaide today but I was at work so only managed to enjoy the last 30 minutes of sun and squeeze in a 10km.

The weather is looking pretty crappy over the next few days.

I don't think I'll be entering any races over the winter but am enjoying being injury free for a period I have never known before so I am looking forward to spring/summer when I'll get back to racing again.

I'll check on the net for the Alpine Challenge to see what you are going to put yourself through. I guess it is in the winter? if so that would not be a barefoot run. I don't like anything below 10C.

Best of luck

Neil

3. Cozmos74

Cozmos74 Barefooters
    1. California...
    2. Australia

Hi Neil,

I am one of those runners whose life is dominated by running. So whatever work I get has to have some benefit to my training. For example I will be working up in the snow for the winter to train in the mountains everyday.

Somehow I have fallen in love with running, and in particular the 100km - 100mi races. Running all day takes me back through the ages to a more primative time where balance was the way not the goal.

I love to run in all sorts of weather, part of the experience for me is the exposure to the elements. I love how while I run my body takes care of itself and the wind, the rain, the cold, the heat, they all seem to melt into nothing, there is only the rythym and the trail. It sounds corny, it is :)

The Alpine Challenge was run in March but have a look at the website www.runningwild.net

It was a killer race. It is considered the toughest Trail Ultra marathon in Australia, and I have to agree that it was a challenge and a test of everything I had.

It is great that you are injury free! If you love running there is nothing worse than being hobbled is there?

What races are you planning later in the year?

Happy running mate.

Coz

4. Barefoot Bj

Barefoot Bj Barefooters
    1. Australia

Hi mate,

I just got some Trek Sports to take over from my Bikilas on my trail runs. How do you find them? :)

5. rawaussieathlete

rawaussieathlete Barefooters
    1. Australia

I ran 92km of road in my Trek Sports from the Opera House to Gosford in the Fatass race called Poor Man's Comrades.

I've also tried training on an olympic track in Trek Sports.

Both are hard surfaces and I find the Trek Sports push on my achilles a little more than I like.

Bikila's are still my trail running favourites.

The extra thick sole of the Trek Sport definitely helps on ultra-sharp rocks if you don't want to slow down.

6. Manuwi

Manuwi Barefooters
    1. Australia

I've only ever run in the KSO's but I couldn't stand them.

I've been running in Vivobarefoot shoes for a couple of years now and have never found a better shoe. Earlier this year did the 6' track marathon in the Evo's and have recently been loving running in all the mud Sydney has to offer in the new Ultras (worlds lighest running shoes, 125g each!!). The greatest thing I've found in the ultra's is that there is no need for socks (and this is coming from a serious sock wearer) and also that they're only about $80 which makes the vivobarefoot range alot more accessable.

Check them out and you won't be dissapointed. http://vivobarefoot-aus.blogspot.com/p/home.html