Running 75km in a day

Maupuia

Barefooters
Jun 14, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
(or around 50 miles for the Americans among you ;)

So, I've been running since the beginning of the year. I did a road half-marathon in June and currently can do an off-road half marathon for my long weekend run in @ 2hr 30min to 3hr. And feel pretty beat-up at the end!

A couple of friends are planning to run the Hillary Trail
http://www.lacticturkey.co.nz/HillaryTrailHonoursBoard.htm

in mid-March next year in under 24hrs.

Given where I am now, and relative lack of history of running, feasible for me to build up to that for March?

Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

I should say I'm tempted :) But it's also so far outside my experience I could well be just dreaming.

Mike

Given that you've got about 5 and a half months between now and then, I would say yes. You've got a whole summer to do it in, so it should be feasible to get in enough training.

Give yourself a sensible training plan, listen to any aches and niggles and get your nutrition and hydration worked out.

I went from 10km on an injury in conventional trainers to a minimalist HM in 8 months and then another year to a 40-mile ultra. I think I could have done the 40-miler earlier if I'd focussed on running only, but I bike as well adn do other stuff. I have no great running pedigree either.

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it, I polished off a 60 plus miler last month with my longest run being just over 50km. I am a firm believer if you put your mind to it, you can get er done. But as ElyDave said above you training, nutrition and hydration are very important. Research is good as well, but you do need to find out what works for you.

Hey There Maupuia,

If it was a simple road course, or some light well groomed trail id say absolutely.

But its the Hillery Trail, which runs through some of the ruggedist terrain the Waitakere's have to offer. There is heaps of ups and downs, and a good bit of the trail isnt really what youd term runnable... add in the winter mud your likely to face and its going to be bloody tough going. (For the others out there you gotta imagine your not mountain running, but rather running though a semi jungle up and down gulley's and hills, on lots of single trail that can be complicated by slippery muddy conditions.)

Id still say go for it, but make sure youre getting up in the ranges for some prep work, and make sure you have support to potentially stop at either Piha, or Bethells. Perhapes Huia and Whatipu as well if your not confident.

BTW i have a link to a blog from a online mate that finally run it earlier this year. He took several goes to get there,m and he has the Tarawera 100 under his belt.
take a look -> http://trailrunningadventuresnz.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/knocked-bastard-off.html

there are a few other accounts out there in the blogosphare as well... research today may help Alleviate pain tommorow :)

Hey!

Yeah, have been reading up a few blog posts and such. I'm in Wellington, so my first taste of running the Waitakere's would likely be doing the trail. That may or may not be a plus ;)

It would be in March, so still summer-ish. But, still, Auckland --> rain --> mud would be expected!

But if I am going to try it, a LOT of training needed between now and then.

I grew up in West Auckland, My parents used to take us bushwalking in the waitaks all the time. Ive only run in the bush around wellington a few times, so cant really comment about the difference, but the waitaks stay pretty damp all year round. especially the begining (assuming you start at arataki)

Wind can be a real issue between Bethells (TeHenga) and Muriwai its pretty exposed up on the cliffs.

Oh i also found a facebook group... you should ask the experts there...

I will be running the HT next time in back in NZ ... assuming i dont have a race scheduled.