Runners needed

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Martyn, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Martyn

Martyn Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. United Kingdom
    3. International

I am posting this on behalf of a new member to our facebook page. For some reason Stephanie S-b is unable to post on BFRS - UK on facebook. Her message reads.

• Hi there -- I've just liked the FB page and joined the the UK page at the Barefoot Runners Society website. Not sure how to find the info I'm looking for, so thought I'd message you...

I live in Berkshire, outside Reading. I'm trying to find new/other barefoot or minimalist runners in my area to join in with or to even organise runs. I live near Dinton Pastures country park which would be a great place to run with others -- I've seen a couple of people from time to time running barefoot or in Vibrams, but never been able to catch them! -- seriously though, would be nice to talk with or meet others in my area.

2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Hi Martyn,

Stephanie's message doesn't tell me that she's having trouble "posting" to either the BRS site or the FB page. She's just saying she's looking for people to meet up with for runs.

Have you spoken to her? Can you message her back?

TJ

3. Stephanie

Stephanie Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Thank you for posting that for me, Martyn. I'm able to participate now. I hadn't realise that I needed to wait for another approval email after registering. That's come, so now I'm able to post and answer posts here...

So, yes, anyone out there who lives/works in or near the area of Berkshire I'm talking about -- in the vicinity of this great park, Dinton Pastures -- do contact me. I'm new to running barefoot, but the fact that I can now run more than 50 yards w/out my knees giving out is a big hint that I'll keep running both unshod and in my Vibrams (or other minimalist shoes I may try as they come along from Santa in a few weeks!) -- so, anyone interested in joining me, so I don't look like the lone town loonie and get written up in the local papers, send a message... and then maybe we can be that group of loonies that gets written up in the papers together ;)

4. Stephanie

Stephanie Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi TJ,

It seems I just needed to be patient and wait for the email that just arrived saying my account had been approved. I'd not realised I needed to wait for that, so was confused why I wasn't able to post. All seems copacetic now, so thanks for looking into it. I'm able to access all functions etc now.

5. barefootbeginner

barefootbeginner Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

6. Stephanie

Stephanie Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Thank you! -- will go there and have a look

7. farmershort

farmershort Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi There All. I'm working in farnborough during the week... is that far?

8. Stephanie

Stephanie Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi there farmershort,

Well, a quick google map search says Farnborough is 35 mins (14.5 miles) away from Dinton Pastures, the closest towns to which are Winnersh and Hurst. Not terribly far in general, but may not fit into the average lunch hour sadly.There might be another park/woodland to run in in-between Farnborough and Dinton. I'm not very familiar with the area, but could have a look at the map and ask around.

9. farmershort

farmershort Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

ah yes, perhaps a bit far for my short lunch sadly! It's a shame it's dark so early, as it pretty much rules out park-runs after work now too!

10. Stephanie

Stephanie Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Oh, yeah, it's a bit far sadly. And afterwork would be tough for me (mum of two school kids) any time of year, tbh. So I'll need to stick to seeing who nearby that I can drag away from their lunches.... I did get hold of a local running coach, who will be meeting me at Dinton this Friday for a look at how I run unshod and give me tips, drills, exercises, whathaveyou. I'm looking forward to that! And maybe when I get a few kms on my feet and feel more comfy with this whole new running adventure, I'll just post some signs at the park itself and see who wants to join for group barefoot runs on the short loop at lunch time. But being realistic, I doubt I'll get many takers until the Spring ;)