Run Tracking - Garmin Vs Apps

Who uses a Garmin here?
I use apps on my phone. Both Runmeter and Strava Run. I love them both. Runmeter for all the data, real time feedback, graphs and post run analysis. And Strava for the challenge of trying to beat other runner's times in my area! :)
I'd never looked at Garmins before thinking they're just a GPS stop watch but recently read a post in twitter saying these things are great!!!!?!?
Any body use one?
Here's the kind of data I'm diggin on Runmeter.
http://runmeter.com/745217ae4f6b4757/Run-20130721-1110?r=e
Will a Garmin provide me with the same sort of thing? Graphs etc. (yep I'm a data nerd) :)

I too, am a data nerd and have an older Garmin 405 and love it! I have had a couple aps on smartphones over the past several years and they didn't compare. For one thing, I have a limited data plan and didn't want to use it up running and cycling--not that it uses that much data. I also didn't like carrying the weight and bulk of the phone. Even with the arm band cases, I found it difficult to manipulate the phone. The watch is comfortable and finds the satellites quickly. I recently had a period where heart rate was of concern. That was easily accommodated with the watch. The heart rate monitor was inexpensive and integrates well with the watch. As I started into minimal running, I read over and over, that a high cadence was important so I got a "footpod" (pedometer) for $30. It works great with shoes. Uploading the data to Garmin Connect is easy and the amount of data is impressive. I get a table summarizing the activity with time out, time moving, average pace, fastest pace, distance, average heart rate, max heart rate, elevation gain, laps and an accurate map of the route. The route function is also cool. You can have the watch remember a route. It also has a virtual partner function so you can compete against yourself. The Garmin Connect page has all the graphs you would want. There is much more to the watch that I never use. It also works great for cycling. My only complaint is the battery. It is apparently not replaceable (although I am still looking into that). It has two recessed terminals on the bottom that a big spring clip looking thing attaches to for charging. Those batteries have a finite number of recharges in them and will quite taking a charge some day. Loves me my Garmin!

Reactions: Darkand
I use a Motoactv, and then export the files into strava and mapmyrun because I'm also a bit of a data nerd and I share my running exploits with a few mates who live in far flung places so that we can keep each other going. I hate mobile phones on so many levels, and a watch is much more comfortable to run with. As an added bonus, the motoactv also has a golf app which I use regularly, and it does cadence out of the box without needing a foot thing (I guess it detects arm swings).

I think there might be some new smart watches coming soon if the rumours are anything to go by - there's heaps of scope for a watch that does fitness/golf/navigation/music/PIM and other stuff running android. If I had any sort of entrepreneurial bent I would probably try to come up with one myself.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 which I love. It has a big screen so I can see up to four data real time. I also use Garmin connect and can look at graphs and all the data, which is real handy. I've used the phone apps, but I've had a huge problem of them killing my phones battery on a long run before I finish. This was a huge drawback for me, so I went to the Garmin.

garmin. i like it. i have a simple phone and won't run with that anymore so to get a bigger phone. no.

i did get to see the new garmins the other night. they're touch screen now. pretty cool. i emailed the rep because he told me there are instructions online to do a jailbreak on my watch. i want to use the hr monitor on my computer in real time for when i hit my heavy bag. wearing the watch doesn't cut it.

Re the Garmins, do you have to hard wire it to a computer to get the data off it? Our computer is temperamental beast and anything I can do not to have to turn it on, is good. I use my phone for pretty much everything so hoping the Garmin will transfer data to that.

Refoman, the virtual partner thing sounds great, I love my ghost runner on Runmeter, can you read feedback off the watch real time compared to the virtual partner? Ie behind/ahead of best time, whilst you're running?

Here you go:

Uberthons Luckython 15k by paraganek at Garmin Connect - Details.png

(open it in a New Window to see the full resolution)
As for the battery concerns, I have been using my "vintage" Garmin 205 for 2.5 years now and the battery is still great and recharges fine.

Reactions: Darkand and NickW
Here you go:

View attachment 2425

(open it in a New Window to see the full resolution)
As for the battery concerns, I have been using my "vintage" Garmin 205 for 2.5 years now and the battery is still great and recharges fine.
Thanks Paraganek! I'm giving some serious thought to buying one! My GPS on the phone, on my run tonight, went haywire. Told me I'd run 5.5miles when I'd run 3, said my pace was 4:42 per mile (I was waaaay off that pace!). Bizarre! I've been shopping online for one :) I obviously want the Forerunner 610 but it's super pricey. But they seem like they can do everything my fav app does and more, with greater accuracy. If I can justify spending the money, I'll get one!

My GPS on the phone, on my run tonight, went haywire. Told me I'd run 5.5miles when I'd run 3, said my pace was 4:42 per mile (I was waaaay off that pace!).

There must be something in the air tonight as I had the same problem. My 7 mile run home was recorded as 8.25 - and I didn't pick up any satellites until I was about a mile in to it!

Refoman, the virtual partner thing sounds great, I love my ghost runner on Runmeter, can you read feedback off the watch real time compared to the virtual partner? Ie behind/ahead of best time, whilst you're running?
I've actually never used that feature. My runs are what they are. I usually just look at the data after runs.

There must be something in the air tonight as I had the same problem. My 7 mile run home was recorded as 8.25 - and I didn't pick up any satellites until I was about a mile in to it!
Yeah Chris, it was weird! I thought it was Runmeter playin up but I also run Strava side by side with it, and it credited me with 7 miles! Lol, 2:52 pace. Lol. When I saw the map of my run it was like I crossed the road every few meters. Satellites must have been struggling with the thunderstorms or something.

Reactions: DNEchris
I suppose one of these days, I will break down and get a smart phone. I like the idea of having GPS, phone, music, camera all in one, but if the GPS apps are inaccurate (not too concerned about pace, but would like an accurate mileage), that might be a problem. For now, I have a cheap Timex GPS. I'm looking for a nicer one with better battery life, and I holding out to see if they can improve on the elevation feature.

I suppose one of these days, I will break down and get a smart phone. I like the idea of having GPS, phone, music, camera all in one, but if the GPS apps are inaccurate (not too concerned about pace, but would like an accurate mileage), that might be a problem. For now, I have a cheap Timex GPS. I'm looking for a nicer one with better battery life, and I holding out to see if they can improve on the elevation feature.
Hey Rick, I've only had this GPS issue twice in my time using my iPhone for runs. Re-assuringly it seems everyone had GPS issues yesterday (possibly due to thunderstorms in our area).
I love having all my stuff on my phone. I like I can play my music while I run, have feedback through my earphones from the app telling me my pace, heart rate, time, ahead/behind best etc. Then there's all the charts etc. The main draw for me is I don't have to turn on the computer to see all this. I just check it out on my phone. I can compare my runs to other competitors in my area, take on challenges set by other runners etc.
I'm giving some thought to a Garmin but will have to turn on the computer and download the data to see this data. I recommend the smart phone but I've never used a Garmin or likewise to compare it to.

Can anyone recommend a good Garmin for running? I've been looking out there but it's a minefield.
The FR610, 410 and 210, FR10?
Been checkin out this site.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin.
Some great and extremely thorough reviews.
Mixed reviews online for all models. 410 people don't like the bevel, 610 the charger and cracked screen probs. going further back through the models gives reduced features. I like the ANT wireless connect feature to upload my runs. No hardwiring to the PC etc.
What do you guys use?

I love having all my stuff on my phone. I like I can play my music while I run, have feedback through my earphones from the app telling me my pace, heart rate, time, ahead/behind best etc. Then there's all the charts etc. The main draw for me is I don't have to turn on the computer to see all this. I just check it out on my phone. I can compare my runs to other competitors in my area, take on challenges set by other runners etc.
I'm giving some thought to a Garmin but will have to turn on the computer and download the data to see this data. I recommend the smart phone but I've never used a Garmin or likewise to compare it to.
I liked all this stuff too, but on longer runs phone batteries can drain pretty fast on long runs. That's the biggest drawback that I had with using a phone app. Maybe if you have an extra battery pack or something that would solve that problem.

I really strongly recommend the Garmin Forerunner 305, while it is a bit bulky in size (really not as bad as it looks and I don't notice it anymore) it is nice to be able to see up to four different sets of data at the same time without having to hit any buttons while running.

I have both the F205 and F10. I got the former about a year ago, and the latter a few weeks ago. Like Nick said for the 305, the 205 is nice because it has four fields, and has a lap button. My set-up is for pace, distance, time running, and clock time. I don't use most of the other features, as I'm a bit of a techanderthal. The pace alerts are good for track work, but annoying on open runs, because you have to vary pace according to texture and terrain if you want to maintain the same effort level. Even for track work though, I mostly run by feel and then check the results when I get home, as I do on my regular runs. Unlike some of the higher number Garmins, the 205 doesn't pick up cadence transmissions from a foot pod, or heart rate info from a monitor strap, but since I don't care about cadence or HR, it's not worth paying extra for those features.

The F10 only displays two data fields at a time, but has larger fonts, which is nice in low light or darkness or if you're far-sighted like me, and works OK as a wristwatch too, although I don't use it as such. It seems to pick up the satellites a bit faster, sometimes much faster, but my impression might be wrong about that. It tells you your pace every mile. It probably does a bunch of other things, but I'm too lazy to look into it.

The Garmin Connect site is pretty good and has all the data displays and charts I need, and is fairly easy to use.

I carry my phone with me too, but I keep it tucked away in a belt, so I can't see the display unless I stop to pull it out. For me, the ease of viewing would be the main advantage of a GPS watch over a smart phone, besides the noted difference in battery life. If you don't keep track of your cadence or HR, I think the F205 might be the way to go, but I have no idea how it compares to some of the features you've described for your smart phone, you probably need a more expensive one for that kind of thing.

Reactions: Darkand and NickW

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts