Run It By Jason - Hills - How should I run hills if I'm barefoot?

runitbyjasonv1.1.png

Run It By Jason
Hills
How should I run hills if I'm barefoot?

Run it by Jason is a column where readers are encouraged to ask ultramarathon barefoot runner Jason Robillard for his advice when it comes to running barefoot and/or minimal. If you have a question you would like Jason to answer, please submit it to [video=youtube_share;H8hIdBuMiOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8hIdBuMiOw[/video]
The technique is essentially the same as flat ground. Use the same basic posture and form. Your body should be vertical as opposed to leaning forward or backward. The only different technique I employ is a slightly shortened stride length and slightly faster cadence. Take smaller, faster steps. This is done to help prevent overstriding or stepping ahead of your center of gravity.
I have also found relaxation to be an important element of successful hill climbing. Just like flat ground, relaxing will result in a gentler landing. Also, I found it greatly reduces fatigue, which allows me to run both faster and longer.
As I mentioned before, downhill running has always been a challenge. When I began barefoot running, I used the same basic technique I used when running up hill. I shortened my stride and quickened my cadence. This works very well over shorter distances but became problematic over long distances. The midfoot landing on a downward slope created a lot of stress on my patellar tendons in my knees. This caused significant pain, which caused me to try a new technique.
I stole this idea from an unknown ultrarunner. She would run downhill with what could be best described as a downhill skiing slalom technique. She would point her body so she was facing about 30-40° from straight downhill. She would take a few steps and then turn to the other side. She would repeat this technique until she reached the bottom of the hill.
I tried the technique and found it completely eliminated the knee pain. Dr. Adam Fujita, a physical therapist friend, explained that the technique distributes the forces to various points in the legs, thus reducing or eliminating the pain of running straight downhill.
Of course, there is a trade-off. The technique is slow. It allows me to run longer but it also negatively affects time. After watching many, many runners running downhill, I came to the conclusion that a slight heel strike may be the fastest, least injurious way to run downhill… if you are wearing shoes.
This has led me to begin experimenting with various minimalist shoes for courses where I know I will encounter A LOT of downhill runs. Based on my early results, it seems the most effective technique may be to continue using very short, quick steps, but land on the heel before the forefoot. If this heel strike can be made directly under the center of gravity and you can keep your knees bent, the negative effects of using a heel strike can be mostly eliminated.
Of course, it could be a moot point if you adopt the “curl into a ball and roll down the hill” technique. While it may be unconventional and result in severe bodily harm due to blunt force trauma from rocks, trees, and other runners, I am quite certain it will solve the knee pain riddle.

I've been using this technique (but honestly, haven't done as many as you have and might find what you describe to be more practical) of completely relaxing and leaning forward downhills, matching my body angle to the slope, and moving my legs much quicker just to keep up with the "fall"...it is slightly scary at first, until I trust myself, and any kind of breaking doesn't feel comfortable in any part of my body using this method--so I have to really commit, no hesitation, until I'm down. I have found though, that because of the "fall" even when I step "unfortunately" my body weight never has a chance to fully commit to the foot, because I can move it/adjust it with the forward momentum, to avoid injury. My arm form looks like sh!t when I do this, they are waving all about managing balance, but it's hella fun!

Jason:

I watched your video on youtube and tried the downhill slalom method this morning. I liked it just to change the feel as I descended a longer steep downhill. As you say in the video, it does transfer the forces of foot strike into noticeable different parts of the foot and leg. Thanks a lot for a very helpful post.

Perry

yeah, I'm not too worried about it :)...I feel like a child running down a grassy slope :-D, smiling and laughing all the way!

Regarding your note that shod heel striking may be a viable way to go downhill: I took one of BF Ted's barefoot clinics, and asked him this same question. His answer for barefoot was a combination of sideways shuffing, slalom like you mentioned, and simply going slower. He also stated "A shod runner will always beat an equivalent barefoot runner on a hilly course due simply to the downhills."

This seems a bit like a McDougall question: what do the Tarahumarans do on downhills, or do they slow and then make it up elsewhere? And didn't BF Ted video them going downhill on one of his trips?