Reviewed By: miker

picture-599.jpg

Date Reviewed: 08/07/2010
Review Type: Race
Barefoot Friendliness: 3 Average

2nd & Frankfort Ave.
Tulsa, OK
See map: Google Maps

These races are to get all the locals thinking about the Rt. 66 Half & Full Marathons in Nov. There is a 5K and also a 1/4 Marathon. Or you can "do the double" and run both. There is also a 1 mile fun run.

No finisher's award for the 5K
Finisher's Medal for finishing the 1/4 Marathon
Same finisher's medal and a tech shirt for finishing "the double"

The course begins and ends in front of the Fleet Feet Running Store. The 5K loops around downtown Tulsa, showing off some of the Art Deco architecture that is prevalent in the old buildings of Tulsa. The 1/4 Marathon follows basically the same course, but at one point you head down Riverside Drive to add the additional mileage needed.

I wouldn't say the course is flat, but the hills aren't too bad. The streets are all paved, with typical small gravel in low areas. Lots of water/Gatorade stops, some with wet sponges. There was at least one medical tent and several hoses spraying water on runners if they wanted.

There was a fair amount of music, 4 or 5 bands and at least 2 DJs blasting tunes!
I only saw one barefoot runner and 4 w/VFFs (including me). I saw a couple of pair of Nike Free and there were probably other racing flats that I didn't recognize, especially in the 5K.
The race gives overall awards as well as age groups in both men & women.
But no (at least not yet) recognition for barefoot runners. We compete with the "shod ones".

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test