Roll Call - who's active?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Barefoot Terry, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Barefoot Terry

Barefoot Terry Chapter Presidents
    1. California...
    2. Michigan
    3. Oregon
    4. California...

Hello Everyone,

I know that the holidays are upon us and things get busy. I am hoping to get this chapter up and active again starting in 2015! Who is still actively running in the greater San Francisco/Sacramento area? Post your reply with what your regular runs look like. I would like to try and schedule a roving (around our area) once a month run. Hope to hear from everyone soon! Also, you can check out/post on our Chapter's Facebook page as well.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Barefoot TJ and paulbeales like this.
  2. Efrem

Efrem Chapter Presidents
    1. California...

I moved back to my home town of Oakland a few months ago. I have been running barefoot on the trails in the hills, and sometimes around Lake Merritt.
    Here's today's run on the trails.
    http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/640285807

I love dirt trails during rainy season, especially a day or so after it rains when the dirt is nice and soft but not muddy.

3. Running Romeo

Running Romeo Barefooters
    1. California...

I'm still running barefoot in Elk Grove but would love to hit some muddy trails! Doing 80+ miles a month.

4. NorCal Will

NorCal Will Barefooters
    1. California...

Mondays: Oakland - Glenview/Dimond/Montclair
    Tuesdays/Thursdays: Oakland - Dimond/Lake Merrit
    Saturdays: Oakland Hills - Redwood Regional Park

5. Barefoot Terry

Barefoot Terry Chapter Presidents
    1. California...
    2. Michigan
    3. Oregon
    4. California...

I need to get back out to Redwood Regional - best barefoot trails around (including Lake Chabot too). Will try and let you know if I'm out that way, Will!

Romeo, we need to go run the muddy trails out at Cosumnes River and maybe make a trip up to Camanche Reservoir. I heard the Mokulumne Trail is awesome single track running!

Efrem and bare_ftazn like this.
  6. Barefoot Bone Rod

Barefoot Bone Rod Barefooters
    1. California...

Hey guys. I'm slightly less active as the parent of a 1 year old, but I'm still doing my Redwood Reg. runs about once a month on Saturdays late morning/early afternoon (have been twice in the last month or so). Still like doing the "loop" with the lower trail up to French and down Orchard, think its about 7 miles. It was cold yesterday (upper 40's low 50's), a little more challenging but still a great time and 100% doable barefoot. Some fun puddles and mud obstacles. Got some crazy looks and comments as usual, my favorite was an old lady who remarked "barefoot, you're one of the those people".

Aside from Redwood, my other favorite go-to spot is Morgan Territory just north of Livermore. There's a couple of fun single tracks and lots of doable fireroad there.

Love the rainy season, some places easier to run bf along with some different fun challenges. I snuck out this last Thursday for a 4 mile mud/cross-country adventure run during the peak of the big storm, it was a blast!

Definitely up for connecting again for a run Terry and Will, and I'll try to post on here before my next Redwood Reg. run and try to keep on top of this thread.

Merry Christmas to all!

"one of those people",

BR

Efrem and Barefoot Terry like this.
  7. Running Romeo

Running Romeo Barefooters
    1. California...

I like Consumnes because it's closer but it's really to short of a run. I would need some notice but would love to get out Mokulumne! Let me know when you're thinking about going.

Efrem and Barefoot Terry like this.
  8. bare_ftazn

bare_ftazn Barefooters
    1. California...

Today was the second Monday morning that I jogged around Lake Merritt. I started from home around 7 and went about 4.4 miles at a leisurely pace (12 min/mi). It was drizzling now and then but I had a raincoat on. I will try to make it a regular run if I can. In addition to the Monday runs, I also made it twice around on other days this month. Running BF has given me a whole different attitude towards running now that I am over the painful part of the conditioning.

Efrem likes this.
  9. Margaret Whitcomb

Margaret Whitcomb Barefooters
    1. California...

Haven't been running much. I really miss it.

Mostly this is because I don't run on cement. I don't enjoy myself when I do. And I don't have a car. However, I recently started running up and down some flights of stairs (3-4 flights) at the Oakland Rose Garden. It's something at least. Looking forward to trying to figure out other ways to run on trails. This is my aim (to find at least 3 locations I want to run that is close enough for easy access).

Emily

10. Margaret Whitcomb

Margaret Whitcomb Barefooters
    1. California...

Haven't been running much. I really miss it.

Mostly this is because I don't run on cement. I don't enjoy myself when I do. And I don't have a car. However, I recently started running up and down some flights of stairs (3-4 flights) at the Oakland Rose Garden. It's something at least. Looking forward to trying to figure out other ways to run on trails. This is my aim (to find at least 3 locations I want to run that is close enough for easy access).

Emily

Efrem likes this.
  11. Efrem

Efrem Chapter Presidents
    1. California...

Hi, I run around the Lake sometimes. I will try to make it to the LMJS 4th Sunday run this coming December 28th. Jan Hetherington is a barefoot runner and often there, as her husband is one of the organizers. Even if you can't make it, there are a few of us around barefoot runners running around there. I hope to see you some time!

Hi Emily (Margret?) I don't have a car either. It looks like you live somewhat near Piedmont Park, but I know the feeling of not wanting to go through a lot of trouble to go for a run, though paved roads are hard to avoid. Another place you might want to check out is the trail(s) along Sausal Creek. I have not been there but there is an exhibit about it at the Oakland museum. There is an organization called Friends of Sausal Creek that is working on turning the whole area into a nice park.

bare_ftazn likes this.
  12. bare_ftazn

bare_ftazn Barefooters
    1. California...

I just signed up for the LMJS run this Sunday. I am only going 5k but I hope to see some other barefooters out there.

Efrem likes this.
  13. bare_ftazn

bare_ftazn Barefooters
    1. California...

What is the course like? On the street or along the path on the edge of the lake. Parts of the path are really rough and pebbly so I run on the grass. (Yes,'I am a wimp)

14. Efrem

Efrem Chapter Presidents
    1. California...

It is very wimp-friendly :p. The course skips the pebble part. It's pretty much butter smooth. Jan has done it barefoot and she claims to be the wimpiest barefoot wimp that ever lived.

15. bare_ftazn

bare_ftazn Barefooters
    1. California...

Great! Thanks!

16. bare_ftazn

bare_ftazn Barefooters
    1. California...

Something came up so I won't make it. Hopefully I can catch you another time.

17. Efrem

Efrem Chapter Presidents
    1. California...

Yeah no problem. I left the house late and got there just as they were getting ready to start. I did not have time to register so I hopped in as a barefoot bandit. I ran the 10K in an unofficial 42 minutes. I hope to run it again next month.

dutchie53 likes this.
  18. bare_ftazn

bare_ftazn Barefooters
    1. California...

Pretty fast even on an unofficial basis!!! Wow. If I was there, you might have passed me twice and I wouldn't have made it to the finish yet!! LOL

19. bare_ftazn

bare_ftazn Barefooters
    1. California...

It's been almost eight months since I have been on this forum.

Looking back on my posts I can see I've come a long way baby! I was not as conditioned December as I thought. In fact, it probably took until June/July before my calves and Achilles have let me run more than twice a week without discomfort. Whether I am over-doing it or not will depend on the test of time. For now, I will just ride out the high that comes from running barefoot.

My co-workers are trying to convince me to try a half or full marathon in Sacramento in a few months. Has anyone here done it barefoot? I wonder about the road and terrain. Seven miles is about my longest single run so far and I would have to train to build up the mental and physical stamina.