Richmond Half Mary - unshod

ewheeldrive

Barefooters
Jun 7, 2010
Just wrapped up running the Richmond Half. Great race, well organized, and great conditions. I've been agonizing over barefooting a course I've never prerun barefoot but braved it anyways. Goal pace was a 1:40, I hit a 1:42:40. Still a PR so I'm pleased. Tons of positive conversations. Put in some plugs for BRS to people making the transition. Didn't see any other barefooters out there but a few VFF's. Here's a recap of the race:

It was 39 degrees at the start and my feet felt like it. After a good mile, I was warmed up though and felt pretty good. The initial few miles I was running a 7:50 or so and started to fall into a good groove. Dropped the pace to hit my goal until we entered Bryan Park...ouch. The roads went from bad to flippin gravel, potholes and what seemed like 100 year old chip and seal. This lasted from mile 5ish to 8ish. My pace suffered had to scale back to an 8:30/40. We moved onto some really buttery smoothe roads from there with only a couple other rough spots the rest of the race. I was able to drop the pace to a 7:30ish and felt really comfortable but the damage had been done to my goal time. Over all though, really happy with how things went. Glad I did it barefoot and was able to overcome some rough terrain. No blisters, cuts, glass, dirty needles, or dog crap either :) . Legs have never felt better. Good times with no shoes!

Any sub-40

Any sub-40 degree barefoot start is noteworthy.

Your overall performance is just plain AWESOME!

EWheel,Smoking fast time. 

EWheel,

Smoking fast time. Looks like you won the barefoot division. You had probably already hit the bag truck and stretched by the time I crossed in 1:57 and change. I heard a spectator or two speak of me as "another barefooter" but I thought they were counting, as they so often do, VFF wearers. Nice to know I was not alone. I echo your assesment of Bryan Park. I was glad when we got out of there. I picked up a couple embedded objects of unknown origin somewhere along the course, but did not really feel them until the feet thawed out the last few miles. I dug them out Sunday without too much difficulty. Congrats.

Barefoot Scott

Scott,Great job and way to

Scott,

Great job and way to represent! Good to know I wasn't the only barefooter out there. I'm sure you got good vibes from all the barefoot supporters too.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS