Results for the Harvard University Study by Dr. Irene Davis & Allison Altman are finally published

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
You may remember that many of us here at the BRS took part in this ONE-YEAR LONG study. I was also a part of this study. The results of that study have finally been released, and the Natural Running Center breaks it down for us here:

Biomechanics of Barefoot Running and Their Implications for Running Injuries

Do truly minimal shoes, such as the Vibram FiveFingers, Merrell Road Glove, and Vivo Barefoot Evo, provide the same benefits as running barefoot? Does running in a minimal shoe lead to a style of running that is the same as running without shoes? Will running in minimal shoes lead to lower injury rates for injuries suffered by traditionally shoe runners?

Unfortunately, we can't read the full article without becoming a subscriber. Here is the abstract from the Sports Medicine Reports Journal: http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/A...unning___Biomechanics_and_Implications.9.aspx

Abstract

Despite the technological developments in modern running footwear, up to 79% of runners today get injured in a given year. As we evolved barefoot, examining this mode of running is insightful. Barefoot running encourages a forefoot strike pattern that is associated with a reduction in impact loading and stride length. Studies have shown a reduction in injuries to shod forefoot strikers as compared with rearfoot strikers. In addition to a forefoot strike pattern, barefoot running also affords the runner increased sensory feedback from the foot-ground contact, as well as increased energy storage in the arch. Minimal footwear is being used to mimic barefoot running, but it is not clear whether it truly does. The purpose of this article is to review current and past research on shod and barefoot/minimal footwear running and their implications for running injuries. Clearly more research is needed, and areas for future study are suggested.

Abstract

The purpose of this article is to review current and past research on shod and barefoot/minimal footwear running and their implications for running injuries. Clearly more research is needed, and areas for future study are suggested.

(Emphasis added.)

This makes it sound as if it is just a review article of all the other studies out there, and nothing about any new research on their part.

Anybody know differently?

Yes, I agree. It's just an abstract. That's why it would be nice to have the full article.

When I was in the study, the way it worked was I would answer a series of questions, always the same questions, each month. They wanted to know: what I wore on my feet or was I barefoot; how many miles I ran; what was the intensity in which I ran; what type of terrain did I run on; what was the percentage in flat ground and hills; did I suffer any injuries; if so, was I bare or shod...that sort of stuff. How that all shows up in this study, we won't know until we see it. The abstract surely doesn't show it.

It would be interesting to see the results. I took part in the study too, finished up in June of this year. Maybe the results proved inconclusive. I know we are all hoping that there would be some great revelation but it may not be that simple. One of the problems is sample size, less than 1% of the population would run barefoot (at a guess) and of the 99% who run without shoes most will not fill in any kind of injury record during the year so most information is anecdotal.
If I ran with a group of 10 shod runners twice a week over the course of a year it would mean that at least 5 would have to have time off for injury. I myself had a month off with a strained calf, so at the moment I am still up in the category of an injury at some point during the year.
The big difference is that my injuries are not as severe as they were in the past and I am enjoying running much more where as before running was a chore to me.

i read it. it didn't say too much of any new information. i'm not sure i should post the whole article. i'll let one of the Dr's here do that. i have access through school. the benefits of paying through the nose to learn is access to all medical research.

Can you find out if it would be alright to republish it here, Mike?

i wouldn't know how to go about doing that. who would i ask? the publisher? the authors?

I took part in two phases of the study; like a lot of you I did the year long monthly questionairre. But, I also went to U of D and did some treadmill work with Allison. she oalded me up with sensors and I ran barefoot and then she gave me some shoes and I ran in them. I believe this was to examine the forces associated with barefoot vs. shod running.

My opinion is that it would be difficult to ever show anything 100% conclusive since every runner will be different. They can do the studies and show their results, but in reality, who's results are they? Were the people who filled on the questionairre every month 100% honest? If you ask a barefoot runner if they are hurt in a barefoot running survey won't they probably say no, in some sub-consious way to manipulate the data in their favor?

The best way to compare would be in the years to come as more people are running barefoot. With more time to look at results maybe the data can be a bot more conclusive either way.

But also, let's be honest with ourselves, unless someone like Ryan Hall or Dean Karnazes decide to go barefoot we'll always be the red headed stepchild begging for acceptance.

i don't need no stinkin survey to tell me that running bf feels better than shoes.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts