Ready yet to run a half-marathon barefoot?

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Dan Cook, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Dan Cook

Dan Cook
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I am a relatively new barefoot runner, starting 1st April. Before than I run in Vibram Fivefingers. (Before that I ran in shoes and got injured).

Am I ready to run the Nottingham (UK) Half Marathon on Sunday 24th September? This half-marathon is all on road, although there may be a second, a third of a mile, which is a gravel path.

With in a couple of months or so I built up to being able to run 10k barefoot.

Recently (12th August) I ran 10 miles. Feet got a little bit sore and nearly cut but largely unscathed.

I feel I could do with having ran 15 miles once or twice before the race.

Obviously I could cancel, but that would be a real shame. I have a free entry as a I deferred from last year, and have also been selected for a free stay in a hotel the night before.

I am not aiming for a fast time or anything - just looking for a debut barefoot race.

Beluga likes this.
  2. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

It sounds like you may be ready. I don't really see the benefits of doing 15 mile runs prior to a half marathon. If you can consistently do 10Ks, and have a 10 mile under your belt, I'm thinking your best strategy may be to keep up with your current regimen, and avoid injury.

3. Beluga

Beluga
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Hi Den,
    I ran my first 21k last year in 2:26, very convenient jogging pace. Longest distance covered before the race was 14k only, I was not as prepared as you are. Few blisters on my sole, but nothing too bad. No I gained endurance and also my feet are conditioned, I can run a half marathon within 2hrs, and longest distance without blisters was 28k.
    Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. trevize1138

trevize1138
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

You can always pack the VFFs with you just in case but you very likely could do it all barefoot. Have you tried barefoot on gravel much yet? You really should if you haven't. You will go much slower, it'll be uncomfortable but that's all actually very much the point of it. You'll learn not only that it's possible to run barefoot on gravel but you'll further improve your running style from the experience.

5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

If time isn't a concern, you should be able to do it if you walk when you should and keep conditioning until them. Carry minshoes or socks, especially if it's going to be cold that time of year there.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  6. Einar

Einar
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

For me problem in races is higher pace then in training runs. At practise runs I never have blisters (even if they 40km long), but at road races I having blisters even if it's only 5km race. Trail, beach races are OK.