Ready yet to run a half-marathon barefoot?

Dan Cook

Barefooters
Feb 18, 2017
I am a relatively new barefoot runner, starting 1st April. Before than I run in Vibram Fivefingers. (Before that I ran in shoes and got injured).

Am I ready to run the Nottingham (UK) Half Marathon on Sunday 24th September? This half-marathon is all on road, although there may be a second, a third of a mile, which is a gravel path.

With in a couple of months or so I built up to being able to run 10k barefoot.

Recently (12th August) I ran 10 miles. Feet got a little bit sore and nearly cut but largely unscathed.

I feel I could do with having ran 15 miles once or twice before the race.

Obviously I could cancel, but that would be a real shame. I have a free entry as a I deferred from last year, and have also been selected for a free stay in a hotel the night before.

I am not aiming for a fast time or anything - just looking for a debut barefoot race.

Reactions: Beluga
Hi Den,
I ran my first 21k last year in 2:26, very convenient jogging pace. Longest distance covered before the race was 14k only, I was not as prepared as you are. Few blisters on my sole, but nothing too bad. No I gained endurance and also my feet are conditioned, I can run a half marathon within 2hrs, and longest distance without blisters was 28k.
Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dan Cook
You can always pack the VFFs with you just in case but you very likely could do it all barefoot. Have you tried barefoot on gravel much yet? You really should if you haven't. You will go much slower, it'll be uncomfortable but that's all actually very much the point of it. You'll learn not only that it's possible to run barefoot on gravel but you'll further improve your running style from the experience.

If time isn't a concern, you should be able to do it if you walk when you should and keep conditioning until them. Carry minshoes or socks, especially if it's going to be cold that time of year there.

Whoo hoo! Congrats!

Nice work!

The other benefit of being a long-distance barefoot runner is you'll save your toenails. You will get the occasional small cut on a foot but that heals up *quick* and you're back at it. Friends of mine who've been running marathons in shoes talk about how their toenails are all messed up and laugh about it like it's no big deal. Then I look at my bare feet and my healthy toenails and smile.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts