Raptor Ridge trail 1/2 marathon (San Diego)

Shacky

Barefooters
Jun 2, 2010
Sunday (10-10-10) I ran the Raptor Ridge half and thought it was quite excellent. Got there pretty early to pick up my bib and hand over some smoked pork and chicken I had been working on all weekend and then just mingled and talked to some friends before the race. It was a little cold which always seems to give me problems. Got some comments about the footwear and the fact that I was clean-shaven and wasn't wearing my kilt. Also got in a few photo ops including one guy wanting to take a pic of my footwear. Whatever.
I had left the Garmin at home since batteries were pretty low and I didn't really want to pay attention to pace or mileage on this one, preferring to run by feel instead. So after the gun went off, I hung back with a few buddies but the start of the race was flat and I felt it was much too slow. And so I sped up. And then some more. My friend Maggie had challenged me for this race so I figured I'd see if I can catch up to her and then just run at her pace. Mistake since I had to run pretty darn fast to catch up to her, but I did. According to her we were running at a 7:40. And then 7:30. And then 7:20. I mentioned that I have issues running in the cold and the problems started. I felt my heartrate skyrocket and the body got heavy. I know I have a few seconds to shake the feeling (deep breaths) or I'd have to walk. I ended up slowing down to shake it and it wasn't working and so I walked. Taking deep breaths and doing some windmills with my arms to stretch a bit. Pretty soon my body started behaving itself and I was off again. I didn't like walking this early in the race and being passed but luckily my sprinting to catch up to Maggie had put me ahead of the pack and I was only passed by about 10 people or so. And so I started picking them off little by little.
Next came the hill. Since the run was only 13.1 miles, I wasn't sure if I should just run the hill or walk the inclines and run the flats and declines. Rather then risk another heart issue I decided to walk the inclines which seemed to work out ok. During the uphill I caught up to a cyclist who commented on my choice of footwear (Luna sandals) and I slowed down a bit to chat with him for a while. I was passed by 2 people and decided that was enough and pushed the pace a bit more.
During the run down the leaders were returning. Crap, I'd estimate I was about 5 miles in and these guys were already on the return trip...and running up this incline like it was nothing. I need some better cardio! But I was going downhill and feeling good and was able to continue to speed up a bit, every once in a while seeing someone I know on the return side and either high-fiving them or yelling out some kudos. I also encountered Maggie and was disappointed that she was about 5 minutes ahead of me and not slowing down in the slightest. No chance of catching her. Screw it, I was having fun.
At the turnaround point I slowed down just enough to say high to the volunteers and then started off again. I got a few yards and then remembered I haven't had water in quite a while and so I stopped to walk just long enough to take in a few large gulps. And then I was running once again until I got back to the hill. This side of the mountain is a bit steeper and hence not as long and so I power walked it. Got passed by a few people but I was liking my strategy and figured I'd do some more passing on the other side. One of the passers was this young girl I had run with a while back and she was looking good. I was thinking that I'd catch her near the top and do the downhill with her to chat a bit but she smoked the downhill section and soon was out of my sight. Oh well. I passed a few people myself on the downhill but nothing noteworthy.
And then I reached the bottom. Other then the quads having taken a beating, I was feeling great and was able to pick up the pace. I was probably close to a 7:30 which wasn't bad considering we were on dirt and I had run a barefoot 20 miler the day before. Passed quite a few people on the flat section and then I encountered the area where I had problems earlier and again, my chest seized up on me and I had to walk it off. Damn it! Deep breaths, deep breaths, deep breaths and then I was off again. I soon caught up to blondie and she appeared to be struggling. I slowed down and ran with her a short while and she mentioned the hill had wiped her out. I tried to perk her up by saying she was running strong and the finish line was just a few miles away, wished her good luck and I was on my way once again.
Its amazing how you can get a burst of energy when you spot the finish line regardless as to how far away it is. I was a little less then a mile away and got a rush and started pushing myself hard. I turned a corner and saw a couple volunteers who immediately started ringing the cow bells and snapping photos. I told them to quiet down or they'd wake the wildlife and rushed past them towards the finish line, sprinting as fast as I could, which probably wasn't all that fast but it was all that I had. Upon crossing the line I got a medal tossed around my neck and was told to squeeze the paws of some stuffed toy that immediately started dancing around and making noise. Neat. Where's the friggin water?
I met up with Maggie and found out she took 4th women's and hugged and congratulated her. She did awesome. I also wasn't surprised by the 1st and 2nd place women since I've run with them a few times and know what they can do. I know some amazing runners I think.
A short while later my friend Trasie crossed and we decided to break out the BBQ and start making some tacos to hand out. I'd slap a batch together and she'd walk around handing them out to those interested. I even had a line at the car and was taking requests. I hope the people enjoyed them.
But it was NFL kickoff time and so I had to scram. I told Trasie all the bbq was hers and to do what she wanted with it, said goodbye to a few friends and was off. Short stop by the store to pick up a 12-pack of Sam Adams and I was home for the rest of the day.
All in all, it was a great race and it was awesome running with so many people that I knew and/or recognized. Can't wait until next year.

dang, even with all my issues

dang, even with all my issues I still ended up with 1:57:26 which makes this my 3rd fastest 1/2

66218_1457567795570_1124632342_31100679_3196400_n.jpg

Great photo, Shacky!  I'll

Great photo, Shacky! I'll get to reading your rr very soon. Thanks for sharing it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts