Rachel Ray's show on the dangers of high heels

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/dangers-high-heels/

As women wear higher and higher heels, the chances of injury also increases. "We're seeing heels all the way up to eight inches," says board-certified podiatrist Dr. Suzanne Levine. "They're no longer heels - that's a stilt! And I’ve seen an increase in injuries: stress fractures, lateral ankle sprains, strains, neck problems, back problems, hip problems, you name it!"

If you can't give up your high heels, Dr. Levine has a few recommendations to ease the burden on your body. "First of all, the key is moderation," she says. "Switch your shoes throughout the day; try flats, or maybe a pair of two-inch heels that you can wear for a longer period of time. You should wear three-inch heels for about three hours, but with four inches you start getting into that grey area ... clearly you’re not going to be walking a lot. So the key I always tell my patients, switch your heel height throughout the day and that really helps."

In cases where you may not be able to switch into a more comfortable pair of shoes, Dr. Levine has a few suggestions to ease the pain. "It might be a good idea to use some kind of spray," she says, noting that an analgesic spray like Biofreeze anaestitizes the foot a bit and can get you through the evening. Also, there are inexpensive gel inserts you can buy that will lift up and support your arch or the front of the foot. "And there is a procedure that I do that is a patented procedure called 'Stiletto RX: Pillows for your Feet,'" she adds. "You know the fillers that you use on your face? You can now cushion the ball of your foot if you have a lot of burning."

Watch the video above for three of Dr. Levine's exercises to help your feet feel their best in heels!

Reactions: Sid
And I'm the nut for going around barefoot?
Maybe the next time someone asks me "does'nt it hurt?" I'll
respond with "Naw, I just spray an analgesic on my soles before heading out".

I couldn't get the video to load, and I still can't, so I just added the text that described the film. Are you all able to get it to load/run?

A century ago the banding of Chinese girl's feet was abolished. This horrible crippling custom forced them for the rest of their lives to sway painfully on their toes if they needed to go somewhere. Their artificially pointed small feet were considered erotic. High heels imitate small pointed feet and even the painful swaying on the toes. And there is still eroticism involved. Why do women in our day and age still have to (or want to) inflict this on their bodies?

Reactions: happysongbird
Reminds me of this:
shoesign.png

We call them "Sheet rippers".