Race to race weight?

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
So anyone interested in partaking in a little contest to lose weight over the holidays to help keep me motivated to lose weight before my marathon in January?

I figure I'll pitch in a fancy new BRS tshirt (or I can wear it at the marathon and send it to you autographed and sweat filled if you like) or I'll make you a pair of my fancy home made strap huarraches.

You'll have to do a weigh in weekly and whoever loses the most in total % from their original weight wins.

I'm only doing this if 5 people or more want to do it. And you have to invite some friends if you can, because that is the point of these things right?

we talking the Turkey day

we talking the Turkey day holiday or the one after that?

not sure how much weight you intend to lose but I think I could easily drop another 5lbs to reach a svelte 145

Abide, Count me in. I'll

Abide, Count me in. I'll weigh in the morning to get my starting weight. 'Cause if I'm gonna diet, I need to be accountable to somebody besides me. ;-) I figure, worst case, at the end I can just chainsaw off a limb or two. Sure, it'll curtail my running, but I will have WON!!

15lbs @ 8%?  Shoot, not sure

15lbs @ 8%? Shoot, not sure If I can even lose 15lbs. I'll weigh myself after I eat dinner tonight :)

My target marathon is actually a bit earlier then yours. December 26 I'd like to take a shot at a 3:30 or better finish time. I think it's doable at my body fat % but it wouldn't hurt if I could get my BF down below 10%.

I'd rather use the BF% as a gauge and let the weight go to whatever it wants.

I'm in. That's exactly the

I'm in. That's exactly the motivation I need.

When do we record the first weight? I'm approximatly at 155 right now. If I stop eating my daily tablet of chocolate and increase my mileage I should be able to loose 5 to 8%.

I'm in. Despite working out

I'm in. Despite working out MORE, I've managed to pack on about 8lbs since last year. While I'm not terribly concerned about it, I would like to NOT see it as a continuing trend and definitely need to get my intake back on track..too much junk these days makes for a sluggish me.
I don't own a scale though and am not looking to lose more than those 8lbs so will this only benefit those who have the most to lose?

I'll weigh myself at the gym tomorrow and check in with my start weight (around 135) and have to make sure to use that scale every time.

I'm contest-curious.  Can you

I'm contest-curious. Can you clarify the start and ending dates?

I'd totally do it, but the intensely personal program I'm on (click here) calls for weighing myself only once a month, and I'm liking it that way. It's recently started to work. So I could just weigh myself at the beginning and end of your contest, or something like that, if that works for you. Or if not, that's cool, I'll just sit on the sidelines and eat canned cranberry.

Id be willing to get in on

Id be willing to get in on this. Im not sure how much college fat ive packed on over the last year and a half, but i quit lifting weights, and i dont get to run as much as id like, so i know its got to be decently high (I think i could lose about 11% if I go really extreme). when would this competition start (assuming you decide to go ahead with it)? Long story short, count me in.

I'll play, I may not loose

I'll play, I may not loose much but I also tend to put on 5-10 lbs in the winter. This'll keep me focused.

By the way, I would ABSOLUTELY cut off a limb for a sweaty/signed Abide shirt.

Cool we got ourselves a

Cool we got ourselves a contest. I'll look at the dates, but would anyone be adverse to starting Monday and the last weigh in would be Jan 17th? We could also include body fat loss by a percent as well. Might not be fair let me think.

miker wrote:How do you

miker said:
How do you measure body fat %?

Easiest way is to cut a slice from your inner thigh and weight it, fry it up then weigh it again. The difference is your body fat %.

barefoot ramzev wrote:miker

barefoot ramzev said:
miker said:
How do you measure body fat %?
Easiest way is to cut a slice from your inner thigh and weight it, fry it up then weigh it again. The difference is your body fat %.

For some reason I am smelling bacon after reading this?

I guess you could could use the egg that they have at the Dr's or those clips. The clip measurements would have to be somewhat substantial. No the three measurements you take in gym class.

I think I've been measured

I think I've been measured for body fat maybe once in my life. But the scale I just stand on. Granted, it is not one of those scientific jobbies that sends my weight to the web, but it gives me some way to check myself. I would rather not have to go to the Dr., just to have my body fat checked.

"ring, ring. Hello, this is Dr. Smith's office.

Me: um, yes, I need to make an appointment.

Office: what seems to be the problem?

Me: no, problem. just wanting to get my body fat checked.

Office: (long pause)... you what?

Me: yeah, I need to get my body fat checked.

Office: is something wrong?

Me: no, or at least I don't think so.

Office: well, the first time I can get you in will be mid-January.

Me: that's the first opening in his schedule??

Office: well, since you aren't in pain, and with the holidays, his schedule is full until then.

Me: well, never mind then.

Office: you don't want to have your body fat checked?

Me: no, not that. But by then the contest will be over and Ram will have won Abide's sweaty tech shirt!

And then, of course, I would have to excuse myself from the phone.

But I'm open to checking it some other way (with the exception of Ram's earlier advice) Although I wonder if I have already chainsawed my leg off to win the weight contest, if that would also help with my body fat....hmmmm.

Tempting.  I'm at 188, so to

Tempting. I'm at 188, so to be in the running for at least keeping up I'd need to lose about 15 pounds. I've dreampt of getting down into the 170's again... It's actually pretty radical, but maybe I'll participate as a 2nd ranker and just try to crack the 180 line, or 4.2%. That sounds a little more sustainable to me.