R2R2R 2013

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
What's the status Rick? Are we looking at May still? Any chance we can do the weekends 19th-20th or 26th-27th? The latter is memorial day which means the trail will be busy, but we get a day off from work. I was thinking about taking Friday off and driving up Thursday night. If we could make it work to run on Friday or Saturday.

I'm pretty flexible. I'll make sure I don't schedule any races in May. This will be my priority. I would vote earlier than later because of the heat. We probably need to decide soon, the camping spots are going to fill soon, if they are not booked already.

What I am thinking because I am more of a hiker, I would take off earlier, probably hike through the night. The runners could take off later and at some point we would meet and help each other on the final push out. Then have recovery drinks at the finish.

Ok I can't do the prior two weekends because of my job and mothers day. I guess technically we could also do the Weekend of April 28th-29th too?

If the camping does fill up we can always do dispersed camping right outside of the park and then as long as we wake up early enough, get into the park for free. They have showers we can use after as well.

Sure, that April weekend would work for me. Think about it. April would be less busy and cooler. If it ever decides to snow, there might be some snow on the North Rim or the trail might be muddy, but we can deal with that.

You don't have a National Parks Pass? One of my best investments yearly. 3 trips to a park and it is paid for vs the daily fee. Almost makes you go to get your moneys worth. Also, I believe you get a discount on your camping and some other perks.

Sure, that April weekend would work for me. Think about it. April would be less busy and cooler. If it ever decides to snow, there might be some snow on the North Rim or the trail might be muddy, but we can deal with that.

You don't have a National Parks Pass? One of my best investments yearly. 3 trips to a park and it is paid for vs the daily fee. Almost makes you go to get your moneys worth. Also, I believe you get a discount on your camping and some other perks.

No the only one I ever go to is the GC and I just get there early enough so I never have to pay. I almost always camp right outside the park and that is free too. I'm pretty cheap though.

Ok let's plan that weekend in April, can we do a Friday or Saturday run and then head back home on Sunday?

Let's plan on that. I would arrive Friday and start hiking in the evening. The runners would start early Saturday. Meet at the camp Sat. evening and hang out. Then head back to the grind on Sunday.

Open invite. Get a few more people thinking about this. Might have to PM Doomed, let him know a thread has been started. I wonder if Shacky or Vanessa would be interested a week after their Zion 100?

Hey Rick I've got bad news I think I'm going to have to defer into May weekends 19th-20th or 26th-27th. I'll be out for most of the month in April traveling for work. Sorry about the change I just found out on Friday.

Damn that sounds like fun, I wish I was closer, I would be all over that like a dirty shirt.

Ok Rick the weekend is clear, so I was planning on driving up on Friday May 17th, I should will get there at 7:30pm, set up camp, drink a few beers and get a fire going. Then calling an early night and leave for the run Saturday the next morning at 5? I am assuming the run/hike will take me around 14 hours so I should be up around 7pm. Then head home Sunday morning whenever everything is packed up.

Sound good? I'll be leaving Phoenix around 4:00pm Friday if anyone wants to carpool up that is cool with me.

John you interested?

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
Sounds good Abide,

I'll go ahead and reserve two campsites for Friday, May 17th and Saturday, May 18th. That will give us plenty of space for whoever stumbles onto this thread and can make it.

Note: anyone not up to a double crossing is still welcome to join us. Many hiking options are available from the South Rim. My son and friend will do an out and back to Ribbon Falls or at least a rim to river to rim hike. If the weather is extremely hot, a hike along the Tonto trail is a good option.

Sounds good, I'll make sure to bring a good selection. Do you think I should I post this up on the AZ chapter page? Not sure since we should probably leave this an unsanctioned fun run.