Question on the Facebook Page

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by paulbeales, Sep 21, 2014.

1. paulbeales

paulbeales
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Rose Palmer has sent a message to the Minnesota FB page to say that she is running the Twin Cities marathon barefoot, and wants to know what's the street like?

Can anyone advise her?

Thanks

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I have never run the TC Marathon, but I have run on the pavement for nearly every stretch of the course. A large part of the course is on the Minneapolis parkway roads. Most of those were seal-coated last year. The seal-coating they put on the parkways is finer-grained than the usual stuff, but it's not smooth either. It's probably close to an 8 mile stretch that is like that.

paulbeales likes this.
  3. paulbeales

paulbeales
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Thanks Moose :)

4. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

BTW. I ran Red White and Boom earlier this year, and that race included a long stretch along the St Anthony Parkway with the same surface. It's not that bad, but it is definitely a rougher surface than asphalt.

5. Steve Bur

Steve Bur
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I have run the last two years and will run again on Sunday. I drove the course last week for any changes. The course starts on cement downtown, not too bad - similar to sidewalks with some rough patches and repairs here and their. After Hennipen it turns onto Douglas for a mile. This is fairly rough (for me at least). Lake of the Isles is ok. Lake Calhoun, Lake Harriet and Minnehaha parkway (6mi) I would say are very rough. It looks like small gravel with sealant holding it together, up to Lake Nokomis. At Cedar Ave by Nokomis it is pretty good. Minnehaha parkway after Nokomis was just resurfaced and feels very smooth. Summit ave is ok but can be rougher in spots but not too bad. The course ends downhill which I always like as I usually blow by all the folks in shoes. My times not real fast (4:30 goal) but it is a blast and a beautiful course.

I do train all summer barefoot, but I can pick my surfaces and there are not 300,000 people watching when my feet get sore. So I wear moccasins ($20 kit from Michaels) the first 10 miles until Lake Nokomis. This year I upgraded to a more expensive model from the Rennasance festival.

I would love to hear from any one that has run the total course barefoot.

Have Fun anyone running,

Steve

Bare Lee and paulbeales like this.
  6. paulbeales

paulbeales
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Thanks Steve. Enjoy your run :)