Pushing the limits

Line Kolbe

Barefooters
Jul 23, 2013
Sweden
When do you know if your are over training or just pushing your limits?
I mean.. you need to push the limits, and that will be tough and hard work, in order to get better.

I can't run today, or walk. Because my body is begging me to rest my legs and feet, and I'm going to listen.
Then I'm also pretty tired in my lower back from the weight lifting and the rowing I do for cardio (and probably also from running in my shoes).

I should do more of the rowing cardio, because I need to be good at it for the competition I'm prepping for. I'm aiming for 2 times a week but want to do it 3-4 times a week. I just can't get up to that. I feel over trained and drained. And then I feel guilty if I give myself a rest day more than planned.

Do you guys also feel bad if you don't get your planned training in?
Should I suck it up and do the cardio and not feel bad and guilty for resting?

I never feel bad/guilty when I skip a workout or two or three or whatever :D.
if your body is telling you to rest then rest an extra day off is not going to kill anyone.
Can you go swimming for your cardio? it'll be excellent for your legs.

Usually, if I feel the need to rest, I am better off if I do rest. Then, I get more out of the workouts that follow. The body needs time to heal and adapt; and sometimes it "knows" things you don't consciously know. Don't feel guilty. Be thankful that it is sending you useful messages!

Thank you for your answers.

I had a chat with my training partner today about this too. He says the same.
I opened up the talk with: "Do you think we do too much?"

So yeah...
But then again, you do need to push it to excel, push it exactly enough to get the most of it and not so much that you get hurt and the body starts to fight back.

Hi Line,
Beware of overtraining!!!
It happens quickly and most of the time you become aware of it only when it's too late.
The first stage of overtraining is tiredness and slight pains. When you feel tired and/or aching it would be a bad idea to push through "in order to get better" - that would lead right to the second stage of overtraining, which is constant or recurrent pain in one place or another. Over time that will only exhaust the adrenal glands, which would be the third and last stage: the total burn out.
When you feel tired, it's much better to take an extra day off than get hurt!

If I remember correctly, you are training for an ultra? And you are looking for books to read?
Here is another one: "The big book of endurance training and racing" by Dr. Phillip Maffetone
After reading this one you'll know exactly how overtraining happens and how to avoid it!

Thank you.

Yeah.. I coach others and I hear myself say this to those who are like myself: "Sometimes the best thing you can do is rest and eat" :D
I do know. I have a lot of education in all of this too. It's just always harder make decisions for myself than for others I feel.. So that's why I love having a place like this to get feedback and let all my thoughts out.

Thank you for the book recommendation.

I'm training for an Ultra next summer, yes, but in 11 weeks I'll be competing in something called Athletic Fitness which is a kind of physique competitions (think bodybuilding, but with well trained women and not big unnatural freaks) with a twist...
Copy from my blog:
"In this class you are judged on both symmetry (the look they want is like the Fitness/Physique girls) and then you also have 3 exercises where you need to show that you are in great shape and are strong. It’s chins, dips (as many as possible with your own body weight) and rowing (as far as possible in 1 minute)."

It's just always harder make decisions for myself than for others I feel
quote]
This is my problem too. I go by do as I say not as I do:D