Protein /energy bars early in the morning.

I sometimes think women seriously underestimate the power they have over the household. In my experience anyhow that's how it seems.
Nick, I am very well aware of my powers but I try not to take avantage of my husband-I just love him too much for me to do that. I think is all about respect he knows that I have a gluten allergy and he understands it.
Don't get me wrong, I do cook his favorite foods at least once a week even if I don't eat them.
That's right that's how nice I am to him:smug:

Pizza and beer?
Pizza only if it's gluten free but I'll pass on the beer:yuck: thank you very much.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
On a calmer note, though, I've cooked low carb for us and normal for the kids for years, mostly by just adding in potatoes, rice or whatever for them and having a berry fruit or cheese option dessert for us. Just not having something on your plate is a lot less noticeable than having a whole different dish. I would think a low gluten diet (that wasn't ultra strict) would be try able in a similar way?

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
I would think a low gluten diet (that wasn't ultra strict) would be try able in a similar way?
This might be more doable after my wife gives birth. I'm sure you know that near the end of pregnancy sometimes it's best to just not rock the boat. Right now it is the way it is and she's not going to change for anyone. She's typically much more open about eating healthier when she's not pregnant. Something about the hormones makes this a fight for her that I am just not willing to tackle right now. When she decides she wants to start losing weight again after the baby is here I know she will be more open to it.

Pizza only if it's gluten free but I'll pass on the beer:yuck: thank you very much.

I will say sometimes I really miss deep-dish style pizzas since going gluten-free. Have yet to come across a good recipe to make a thick and good chewy dough with the gluten-free varieties of flours. But sometimes to satisfy my pizza cravings I use corn tortilla shells, some pizza sauce, pepperoni, chopped up bell peppers and mushrooms, provolone, mozarella, sharp cheddar cheese, black pepper, red pepper, and garlic powder.

For the beer cravings, I go with Redbridge, which isn't any great beer, but it's the most beer-like tasting gluten-free beer I've tried so far. Although I have read some that even regular beers don't have all that much gluten in them, and I do have some leeway where I can get some incidental contact with gluten and not have it tie my insides up. So maybe someday I'll try buying a good regular beer again and see what happens if I drink 2 or 3 bottles at one time. If that works okay, I can use it as a treat meal a few times a year. If it doesn't work, no big damage done and I've learned a little more about how much I can get away with.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
For the beer cravings, I go with Redbridge, which isn't any great beer, but it's the most beer-like tasting gluten-free beer I've tried so far. Although I have read some that even regular beers don't have all that much gluten in them, and I do have some leeway where I can get some incidental contact with gluten and not have it tie my insides up. So maybe someday I'll try buying a good regular beer again and see what happens if I drink 2 or 3 bottles at one time. If that works okay, I can use it as a treat meal a few times a year. If it doesn't work, no big damage done and I've learned a little more about how much I can get away with.
Not sure if you have the Omission beer there, but it is way better than the Redbridge, which I actually think is one of the worst gluten free beers out there. Blech!!!

Not sure if you have the Omission beer there, but it is way better than the Redbridge, which I actually think is one of the worst gluten free beers out there. Blech!!!

I've never seen that one so far in the times I checked. I'll keep an eye out for it though and give it a try if I get a chance. Taste can be a funny and individual thing, for sure. I tried a couple of gluten-free beers that I saw some rave reviews for and one was meh, and another was the only reason I finished drinking it was because I didn't want to feel like I had completely wasted my money. Now, to me, Redbridge ain't great tasting, it's just a prime example of a sort of non-offensive American style beer with its taste and, of course, there are people who actually find that unpleasant and offensive. But I don't have that problem with it and it works well for some refreshment after a long hot summer day when I'm in the mood for that.

I know I got really stressed out over food when I was pregnant. It seemed like every week they would announce that something else was bad for your unborn child, and half the things I liked to eat became disgusting to cook. I remember thinking that if they discovered that brown bread and peanut butter sandwiches were bad for you, I'd starve. Fortunately the 'eating peanuts when you are pregnant predisposes your kid to peanut allergy' scare didn't come out until after my son was actually born.

And going back to your actual question, I really like Quest bars, especially the almond vanilla version. I dont know if they fit your bill as they are protein rather than energy bars, but I just looked them up and they are gluten free as well as low carb.

I know I got really stressed out over food when I was pregnant. It seemed like every week they would announce that something else was bad for your unborn child, and half the things I liked to eat became disgusting to cook. I remember thinking that if they discovered that brown bread and peanut butter sandwiches were bad for you, I'd starve. Fortunately the 'eating peanuts when you are pregnant predisposes your kid to peanut allergy' scare didn't come out until after my son was actually born.
Try having a sister who's a public health and safety (infectious diseases and food) person along with a brother in law who works as a food inspector for the government... They are always telling us all sorts of things and I now have a new found un-appreciation for "organic" foods thanks to them and don't purchase "organic" unless I just happen to actually like something better that just happens to be "organic". I don't look at organic like the media would like you to look at it thanks to them. I gave up trying to explain to people why though because too many people have it drilled into them that "organic" is best by todays society. Now, this is for the US and not for other nations, which are/may be way different. From what I have read the US lets a lot of bad crap be sold as food that in Europe would not be allowed.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
I really like Quest bars, especially the almond vanilla version. I dont know if they fit your bill as they are protein rather than energy bars, but I just looked them up and they are gluten free as well as low carb.
Being a protein bar junkie, I had at least one or two Quest bars a day for about 6 months while losing weight. I bought them in bulk, direct from the company at a discount. Nope, not an energy bar. Completely bonked during a strength workout, then read the label. Then realized that it was good for low carb weight loss, and used them as such.

Where'd Bare Lee go anyway? He hasn't responded to the thread at all. For AM strength workouts, I've tried protein bars, fruit juice, bagels, and maltodextrin. They were ok, but my weird schedule now bumps weight training to hours after cardio, which means my post-cardio bagel and protein powder gives my body a bit of time to refuel.

Well, in the case of meats Sid, if my memory serves me correctly, the majority of "organic" meat is culled out and unsafe for human consumption due to disease and so the animal has to be slaughtered anyways, but not used as food. I was shocked to hear the percentages (which I have now forgotten the exact numbers), but it was extremely high. Also, the term "organic" does not mean pesticide free. It's more a label that means it just has less used (but they can still have nearly as much of the bad crap still on/in the foods due to it's use). In any case, I take the word of these two individuals who work and study in these fields every day over the media (who is controlled by the highest bidder or faulty logic, look at how people are about barefoot running). If they won't go out of their way to eat most organic stuff, and they are health conscious people, then that probably means I shouldn't either. They were telling me that if you truly want organic, grow it yourself so you know what was used on it, don't depend on something the government controls and other farmers because they are misleading the actual facts.

Reactions: Sid
Being a protein bar junkie, I had at least one or two Quest bars a day for about 6 months while losing weight. I bought them in bulk, direct from the company at a discount. Nope, not an energy bar. Completely bonked during a strength workout, then read the label. Then realized that it was good for low carb weight loss, and used them as such.
I ended up getting these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XULC70/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I've only tried them once before a anaerobic workout so far, but they seemed to do the job. I've also eaten them twice before a longish run, and I didn't have any trouble with stomach rumblings. They seem to digest quickly. They're half the price (on Amazon) of the Quest bars Sid and Spinningwoman mentioned, and both have 20g of protein. Is there any reason I should try the Quest bars? I know the Pure Protein bars are available at a local store, so next time I can buy it there. Gluten or no gluten isn't really a consideration for me.
Where'd Bare Lee go anyway? He hasn't responded to the thread at all.
Well, I stopped getting alerts, so I thought the thread had died. But it doesn't look like I missed much. You guys got pretty off-topic for a while . . . delightfully so.

Reactions: Sid and NickW
What was your goal, again? Energy for AM strength workouts?
That bodybuilding link that I posted shows that they consume 3 things:
Easily digestable carbs and caffeine for energy.
Protein to aid recovery.

Quest bars are low carb, so scratch those.
Pure protein bars are okay. Not the highest quality ingredients, nor the cleanest food without additives, but they're okay.

As an approximate to the bar, I would personally have half a bagel and wash it down with some protein powder. The bagel is quickly digested into sugar and burned off during the workout. Personally, I think caffeine is for weenies. People need to sleep more.

I've been making a smoothie with a scoop of vanilla protein powder, frozen mango, frozen strawberry and almond milk. Its a pretty hefty breakfast and easy enough on the stomach. Or you can use coffee instead of milk. Not as tasty but effective. I do get hungry a couple of hours later though and then usually eat a bowl of oatmeal or my lunch.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7