Protecting them piggies

PatrickGSR94

Barefooters
Dec 9, 2011
heh yeah, sometimes we gotta protect 'em. I was over at my parents' on Saturday helping my dad install a new garage door opener. Naturally, no shoes. Well, I had to cut some of the angle iron supporting the opener with an angle grinder. Only thing in my car was flip flops, and my SPD cycling shoes (pretty much like road shoes but with thick, stiff plastic "tread"), and my dad wears smaller shoes than me. So, I opted for the cycling shoes. It was kind of weird, but at least it was only for a bit, and it kept my tootsies from getting showered with sparks and red-hot metal fragments.

Funny enough my dad jokingly suggested throwing a towel over my feet where I stood by the work bench, which I had thought the exact same thing at some point prior to that. :p

I would wear something over my feet as well if using a grinder or torch; hot metal and skin don't play well together. I cut my lawn, work in the garden and have cut down trees while barefoot and have not sustained any injuries.

heh yeah, sometimes we gotta protect 'em. I was over at my parents' on Saturday helping my dad install a new garage door opener. Naturally, no shoes. Well, I had to cut some of the angle iron supporting the opener with an angle grinder. Only thing in my car was flip flops, and my SPD cycling shoes (pretty much like road shoes but with thick, stiff plastic "tread"), and my dad wears smaller shoes than me. So, I opted for the cycling shoes. It was kind of weird, but at least it was only for a bit, and it kept my tootsies from getting showered with sparks and red-hot metal fragments.

Funny enough my dad jokingly suggested throwing a towel over my feet where I stood by the work bench, which I had thought the exact same thing at some point prior to that. :p

That was a prudent decision. Stepping on something is one thing; having something strike or fall on your foot is entirely different...

I've used a circular saw and other power tools in the garage and have worked up on my roof and in my attic barefoot. I'm actually far more careful barefoot than I would probably be otherwise, even though a pair of shoes doesn't offer much protection against a power saw. But flying sparks, yeah - sometimes it's just smarter to wear shoes.

BTW, drywall dust leaves absolutely perfect white footprints when you walk across your blacktop street to check the mail :)

Reactions: Rich-in-STL

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test