Prevent Lower Extremity Injuries in Runners

BareFeetTrack_negative.jpg
Prevent Lower Extremity Injuries in Runners
By Dr. Emily Splichal

Did you know that on average 70% of runners experience an overuse injury as a result of uncontrolled ground reaction forces? (Hreljac 2004)

From weight loss to cardiovascular conditioning, running is one of the most common forms of exercise. Research in running shoe technology has made companies such as Nike and Reebok, leaders in this million-dollar industry. Despite the millions of dollars spent on advancing shoe design, there is still a high rate of lower extremity injuries among runners. With the high rate of running-related injuries there has been a recent trend in runners kicking off their $150 sneakers and opting to run barefoot.

Are the benefits of barefoot running worth saying goodbye forever to the running shoe? Not necessarily. With the conflicting data behind the benefits of barefoot running and increased risk of injury in novice barefoot runners, perhaps we should look at a different technique for reducing running-related injuries. Continued here: http://blog.evidencebasedfitnessaca...n-foot--our-bodys-natural-shock-absorber.aspx

Interesting. I definitely can say that it was my experience with pronation and low arches that lead my coaches to push for more and more stabilization and shock absorbtion in my shoe choices. It caused a lot of issues with my knee and my hip. Interesting on the hip strengthening exercises. No one had ever suggested that to me...EVER! Running barefoot has actually increased my arch to what I would consider to be fairly normal now and I don't get the pain in my knee or hip like I used to. I still get a little every now and then, but now I have an idea for some exercises to try to help minimize stress around that area. Thanks.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts