Pre/Post run smoothies

skedaddle

Barefooters
Sep 3, 2011
I've been drinking smoothies pre and post run for a while now, was wondering if anyone's got any good recipies.

My personal pre run smoothie is usually a mix of kale, pineapple, coconut water, with a bit of ginger.

I use pineapple because of the ahi-inflamatory properties, coconut water for electrolytes and ginger to settle the stomach.
If i'm running far i might add some rolled oats to the mix.

My post run smoothie consists of banana and peanut butter.

Reactions: happysongbird
HEY! Poochie has fur!

Reactions: skedaddle
Every week or two I'll have a smoothie after running...what I like best is coconut milk, frozen ripe banana pieces, frozen green plantain pieces and some blueberries or strawberries mixed up in a blender. The frozen banana/plantain cools it down without using ice...coconut milk for creaminess and the berries for sweetness.

I am not a green smoothie fan, but make mine with berries, bananas, cream, milk, yogurt, fruit juice, ice, and, gasp, a bit of sugar. :p Leftovers make great popsicles for easy snacks at other times. http://dailyimprovisations.com/frozen-blueberry-smoothie-popsicles/ Always post-run for me, as it can be fairly disastrous for me to have eaten too close before a run.

Reactions: skedaddle
I am not a green smoothie fan, but make mine with berries, bananas, cream, milk, yogurt, fruit juice, ice, and, gasp, a bit of sugar. :p Leftovers make great popsicles for easy snacks at other times. http://dailyimprovisations.com/frozen-blueberry-smoothie-popsicles/ Always post-run for me, as it can be fairly disastrous for me to have eaten too close before a run.

The secret with pre run smoothies it to drink them a good hour before your run and test what you put in them agrees with your system. I tried a beetroot smoothie once knowing that the U.K. olympic cyclists were using it in concentrated form, big mistake, but i did manage to paint the town red, literally. :eek:
Start with little amounts and slowly build up to an amount you are comfortable and confident with.
If you prefer fat as fuel this doesn't really apply, we're all different. I just like carbs because i can measure what's going in against performance.

Never thought about the popsicle thing, what a great idea.:)

Reactions: happysongbird
I'm not sure this counts as a 'smothie' recipe, but this is what I use;

Brew a large cup of extra strong coffee. While the coffee is brewing...
In a shaker cup, crack one raw egg. Add a splash of milk, dash of cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg. Add sweetner if that's what you're into (NTTAWWT.)
Pour in the coffee (quickly). Screw on the lid and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
Out comes a frothy, creamy smooth concoction. If done quickly the egg doesn't have a chance to 'cook'.
I get the benefits of cinnamon, a jolt of caffeine, and the protein of an egg.
Good for breakfast, only about 125 calories.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test