Potential Abductor Hallucis Tear/Posterior Tibial Tendon Issue?

joshw

Barefooters
Jul 1, 2019
Tucson
Hi friends! I'm presently on the search for a barefoot friendly foot doc in my area (Tucson AZ). Until I find one I thought I would reach out here... Here is my story.

Sex: Male
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 150 lbs

I had been running barefoot/vibrams for about 4 months before the injury occurred. I started slow with 1-2 miles every other day and by the time the injury happened I was at about a 5k every other day.
Injury Date: Feb, 2019

It was cold maybe 20 degrees F. I did not properly warm up.
Half way through my 5k I felt a crazy tearing/burning sensation in my left foot. It was not painful but more burning.

Once it happened I finished the run got back home and noticed a small lump in the arch of my foot. It was achy but not painful.

I took some time off running after that. I went and saw a local podiatrist who said I need thick running shoes with a lot of support. Said I had PF but I never had any heal pain. Told me to wear one of those toe stretching devices and no longer walk barefoot in the house. Well none of this helped me.

So here I am about 9 months later. I've made it a point to rest for 2 months from running. I then decided since my foot felt better besides the lump being there still that I would try a short run. (1 mile).

After the run I now have pain in the side of my arch as well as the big toe joint.

So with my own self diagnosis I think I may have torn my abductor hallucis muscle in my arch. This is causing my Posterior tibial tendon to work over time to keep my arch supported when I run.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get this to heal. I've tried rest. I've tried massage. Nothing seems to be working. I'm at a point now where the fear of never running again is setting in.

I attached two photos. One I drew on that has a blue circle around the soft bump and red arrows pointing to where I'm experiencing pain now.

I appreciate any and all help I can get.

Thank you so much!
-Josh

Attachments

• 71571485_755069401585184_340499483898937344_n.jpg
    71571485_755069401585184_340499483898937344_n.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 6
One of the docs should be by shortly.

Reactions: joshw
Still no doc? I'm sorry. I'll try again.

Reactions: joshw
Susan Wenberg, MA, DC[email protected]
phone_grey.jpg
520 591 7469

Staff Chiropractor, Pain Clinic Southern Arizona VA Healthcare System Tucson AZ www.wenbergdc.com

I don't know if you can get in to see her. You should try to contact her and see if she has any recommendations for someone near you.

What your going through is very frustrating. If you're not better with a few days rest then something is going on, like a tear. If you're continually tearing then figuring out why is the next step. You'll need help with that as i could only guess and that's not good enough.

Best of luck. Strength, not stretching and rest solves problems.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Susan Wenberg, MA, DC[email protected]
phone_grey.jpg
520 591 7469

Staff Chiropractor, Pain Clinic Southern Arizona VA Healthcare System Tucson AZ www.wenbergdc.com

I don't know if you can get in to see her. You should try to contact her and see if she has any recommendations for someone near you.

What your going through is very frustrating. If you're not better with a few days rest then something is going on, like a tear. If you're continually tearing then figuring out why is the next step. You'll need help with that as i could only guess and that's not good enough.

Best of luck. Strength, not stretching and rest solves problems.

Thanks!

I've started a pilates type workout that focuses a lot on hips glutes and core. I'm noticing less pain in my feet. Maybe a weakness up the chain is causing me the foot problems below.

It looks like she moved her practice to Las Vegas. I'll still give her a call and see if she has any recommendations for the Tucson area. I think the next steps may be some type of foot strengthening program. Along with this glute core and hip strength maybe a combo of the two is my answer. Seems like trail and error at this point.

Thanks again for your response here!

Reactions: migangelo

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts