Post Pics of Your Favorite Runs Here!

Fun in the city ... Run with 2000 others all wearing kilts. One of the most fun annual runs I do. Haggis toss, pipe and drum bands, face paintings ... a great 5 mile event

P7020015_zps742b74ea.jpg

So far my favorite place to run is a park I just recently found out about this year. Its practically just down the road from where I grew up, 15 minutes from my folks house. Unfortunately thats in northern NY and a days drive from here. But in my two recent visits I've run there both times, and plan on making it a part of every trip back home to visit.

Robert Wehle State Park, in Henderson NY... map.JPG
The land was donated to the state upon his passing, and they have turned it into a beautiful (and underused) park. 1100 acres and over 3 miles of Lake Ontario shoreline. Its no Grand Canyon but a wonderful place none the less and so close when I'm visiting the folks. Once the trails split off the main drive they are natural trails... mostly dirt or grass with plenty of stones, sticks, and roots thrown in. I don't have many good natural trails around here, so its like a treat to run on these surfaces and have a nice view. Pictures are from 3 different trips with my cell phone. I wanted to go back with the good camera but unfortunately weather had not worked out.

wehle1-720.jpg
Lake Ontario was especially clear on my first trip in May, wish my phone could capture the greens and blues better.
wehle8-720.jpg
The views were so nice that day.
wehle6-720.jpg
9-720.jpg
wehle2-720.jpg
At the more southern end of the park you could go right out on the rocks and into the lake.
wehle7-720.jpg
Cooling down and cleaning off quick.
12.jpg
Trail along the shore. Pretty windy that trip with waves crashing into shore.
1-720.jpg
The northern end features 100-foot high cliffs. Watch your step!
2-720.jpg
Same cliff as above, but zoomed out to show the trail right along the edge.
3-720.jpg
Some more of the cliffs. Water was churned up, high, and much more murky that trip.
11.jpg
13.jpg
One of the mud holes, with branches down to complicate matters.
bee.jpg
Bees were buzzing all through these wildflowers.
flower1.jpg flower2.jpg flower3.jpg
Some more wildflowers.
IMG_20140614_091937-720.jpg IMG_20140614_101558-720.jpg IMG_20140614_101653-720.jpg
Some of the non-natural things at the park. There is a cabin and a couple cottages/houses you can rent. Also Wehle was a breeder of dogs, sculptor, and naturalist. I'm not sure if the statues are his own work, but they are of his beloved pointers he bred and training on the land.

Cool run...the unnoticed places are pretty good !!!

That reminds me i forgot one pic... Two of the three times I've been there I was the only visitor. The other time was a Saturday and there were 3 cars but still did not see anyone on the trails. There were a few at the tennis court by the rental cottage. Its a shame to not see folks utilizing this, I know the state would prefer more visitors, but I like how private all my runs had been. Mom says the place is beautiful in the winter on cross country skis too. Its barely a 15 minute drive from their house.

img20140623_204818.jpg
Two of the three times I've been the only vehicle in the lot.

Yes, those are from Finland. One mile to the beach, three miles to that trail location from home...

Quite a nice full barefoot run today, although it was only about 10°C (50°F) with ~10 m/s headwind from north at the beach, but with sunshine and running it feels warm enough. Forest sections felt warmer. I tend to wear the shirt for first mile and use it as a tail for the rest of distance.. :p
beach_run_back.jpg

Reactions: paulbeales