Possible stress fracture caused by stupidity?

Mamyohmamy

Barefooters
Aug 10, 2011
I'm not looking for medical advice here, just sharing. I ran a 5K on Saturday and did it in 35.34 but I was not happy with my time- I went to the race with a group of shod friends who ran it in 32.20-40 and I was feeling inadequate so decided foolishly to try to prove "something" to myself this afternoon. It was really cold out so I didn't do my full normal warm-up and then ran 1 1/2 miles at a slightly faster pace (I was trying to go as fast as I could for 2 miles) up and down a very hilly route and did manage go from a 11.40 min pace to an 11.13 min pace - 27 seconds faster but still wouldn't have kept up with them in the 5K...

Anyway, at 1 1/2 miles I stopped because my foot started hurting. A little at first, then more, so I walked back home. Now 3 hours later the top of my foot is swollen and I can't roll through a normally gaited step on it. ARGH! I have it wrapped in ice now- hopefully it will be better tomorrow, when I will probably call my doctor. I hope I just strained some ligaments... either way, I will have to take some time off.

I have been running mostly barefoot, occasionally in VFF's for 2 years now and this is the first problem I have had- going too fast on hard terrain without warming up at the end of the day while tired. I'm 75% sure that its a stress fracture based on symptoms and conditions that I experienced the pain under. I feel like an idiot though and I don't want to tell anyone because I know they're going to blame it on my BFR! argh!

Oh Mamy Oh Mamy!  I am so

Oh Mamy Oh Mamy! I am so sorry. I hope you heal well. I don't have to tell you to take it easy next time out.

Thanks TJ! Yeah I am

Thanks TJ! Yeah I am definitely going to chill for a bit then take it easy. Lesson here- I don't have to prove anything to anyone, even myself. Lol- a lesson which I used to know but had to relearn I guess! Haha

I don't have to prove

I don't have to prove anything to anyone, even myself.

Ha. So true in this case. Probably good advice for all of us to follow.

Remember, shod folks get

Remember, shod folks get stress fractures too. :) I hope you heal QUICKLY, whatever the diagnosis!!

The title of this thread made

The title of this thread made me chuckle a bit. I'm pretty sure 90% of us who have had these will admit to the root cause being stupidity.

Good luck healing! You can always claimed you dropped something heavy on it and broke it if you don't want to admit to it happening during running :-D.

Hi. I'm Phil and I'm a

Hi. I'm Phil and I'm a recovering stupidholic. My stupidity did in fact earn me a stress fractured left third metatarsal head. I hope you didn't go that far and are a quicker learner than me. Heal well, and take your time when you get back out there and enjoy!

Been there... done

Been there... done that.

Thought that speed was important and ended up back on the couch.

Even though you feel stupid for running beyond your abilities don't beat yourself up about it... these things happen. You could have just as easily hurt yourself getting out of bed or going to the mailbox or yes... even running in shoes.

I don't think it's fair... but from my experience.... Tell people about your injury and they'll be sympathetic... tell them that you did it running and they'll know someone who did the same thing... tell them you did it running barefoot and suddenly it's your own damn fault. Why do we always have to place blame somewhere? ...Sometimes things just happen.

Anyway... I hope you heal up quickly. Rest up... get a good diagnosis and treatment plan and hang in there.

S. Pimp.

Yeah, I could join the

Yeah, I could join the Stupidoholics club, too.

Alas, there are a few things that we BRFers just have to accept as off limits to us:

1. Complaining about the road conditions

2. Looking for sympathy for anything, including an injury (probably even an injury to a finger or an ear)

3. Avoiding comments (negative or positive) while running barefoot.

But, alas such is our fate.

Cheers

Paleo

Quick update: its NOT a

Quick update: its NOT a stress fracture! Yay! But it *is* a pretty bad foot sprain. Boo! I have been ordered to not run for 3-4 weeks depending on pain, and as of today it still hurts to walk. I've been wearing a really stylish boot for support when I need to walk distances. Lessons learned still apply ;-)

The boot is a great idea,

The boot is a great idea, since even though it's not a stress fracture or a fracture, you should treat it like it is one in order to heal fully.

Glad you're on your way to getting better.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts