Playing

Gidds

Barefooters
Aug 28, 2011
I just got back from the playground. Yes, the playground. Why would a stodgy, 30-something, childfree woman nicknamed "The Fun-Sucker", who glares perpetually go to the playground? I am trying to decide if I am still limber enough/have achieved a minimal amount of upper body strength to handle a 5k adventure race in October.

I've been to the park in question before because there is a hiking trailhead there. I'd noticed there was a big geometric monkey bars thing about 12-15' tall, so I thought I'd go climb on it this morning early while there were no kids around. I don't like kids and make a conscious effort to avoid them. When I got there I discovered the geometric monkey bars thing was actually made out of rope but that was ok for what I wanted to do.

I was wearing VFFs but it would have been totally doable barefoot. There was also, I discovered, a set of slides, tunnels, ladders, monkey bars, and mini climbing walls. The playground is labelled for 5-12 year olds but fortunately/unfortunately due to the obesity epidemic I weigh pretty much the same as the average American 12 year old and I have been this tall since I was 12, so I figured I wouldn't bust anything.

I climbed up and down the rope thing for awhile then I climbed up, down, and through it to see if I could handle the bending. Then I decided to try some ladders and monkey bars. Since nobody was looking I tried the little climbing walls, which were maybe 7'. I always thought climbing walls were for Trustafarians but they were pretty fun. I never bothered with them before because I am scared of heights and because I don't like Trustafarians (ok, I don't like anybody but you get the idea).

I climbed around in several circuits (I did at least refrain from the slides) for about 40 minutes and got pretty sweaty but I did manage not to blister my hands. I figure it is a pretty good workout and maybe if I do it more I can do the adventure race.

I like to read Mark Sisson's stuff but I usually ignore his stuff about "embrace wonder" and "playing" because I find it to be a bit "whoo" (pronounced like "wu", not to be confused with "woo" as in romantic courtship). While I like to do unconventional things, like not wear shoes or wear weird shoes, I come from a fairly reserved/sedate cultural/social background where attention-seeking is frowned upon, plus I'm antisocial. Therefore I do my own thing but try not to be outrageous about it, which generally means avoiding any and all activities/philosophies that could be described as "whoo". I have now decided perhaps I need to reconsider the level of whooness for this playing business, as I have now found it can be done in an adult fashion that generally isn't bothersome.

Does anybody else use playgrounds for cross training? If you don't I think you should. I don't see any reason to be embarrassed about it since lots of people have kids and they can pretend they are playing with them to avoid judgmental stares.:p;)

Reactions: Barefoot TJ and Sid
I use them occasionally. Now that fall is almost upon us I will be using them more. I don't like the heat and I don't like my hands to burn when doing pullups on the monkey bars, not too mention if I stop at a park my boy will want to play and if it's too hot he gets burned too and then I have a crying child which is no fun.

Damn good idea, Gidds!

i've been using one for months. i let my gym membership expire and just go there. i take my dog and let him loose. i've even worked out with kids already there but i let the mother know my intentions first.

The "Fun Sucker" -LOL!!! I use a playground too. I do "wuss pull-ups" or "jump-ups and let-downs" as my husband calls them. I do "assisted pull-ups" using a resistance band and I need something strong to put it over and a playground is the only thing that can take it. I climb up and down ladder thingies too. And according to my MT, just hanging from your arms will strengthen them without doing much of anything. Cool! I am too afraid of the monkey bars though.

I use them occasionally. Now that fall is almost upon us I will be using them more. I don't like the heat and I don't like my hands to burn when doing pullups on the monkey bars, not too mention if I stop at a park my boy will want to play and if it's too hot he gets burned too and then I have a crying child which is no fun.

They make those sticky gloves you could use.

Here's how I got that name (along with the fact that I don't drink, smoke, swear, or stay up late):
Husband: Can we....
Husband: That looks fun...
Husband: Let's go...
Husband: Hun, watch this...
Husband: Look at the cute child/puppy/other baby animal...
Husband: Can you come clean up my blood and close this large wound?
Husband: Can you come get me out of the ditch?
Husband: You don't mind if I test incendiary devices in the kitchen do you?
Husband: Drying waterproofed stuff in the oven is a good idea right?

Me: NO!

i can add two more, but i'll just leave it to everyone's imagination so i don't get banned from here. ;)

Reactions: clawhammer72
climbing.jpg

Climbing wall? Indeed. That's just a ladder.

This is a climbing wall:
worlds_tallest_climbing_wall_excalibur_groningen_netherlands01.jpg

Until a couple of years ago, it was the worlds tallest at 121 feet; the new worlds tallest is 165 feet and is in Reno, NV.

FWIW, I get your point on climbing (indoor, or otherwise) mainly being done by Trustafarians, but know that there are others (OK, maybe only me) that aren't. What's interesting is that until your comment, I never considered how those folks could afford climbing gear (that stuff is NOT cheap) and travel while not having any visible means of employment (professional/sponsored climbers aside). Now I know.

A few weeks ago, I met someone who has a two-story house with a cathedral ceiling in the living room (so it goes all the way up both stories): She put in a climbing wall, thus earning the most awesomest parent in the world award.

But yours is a good revelation, though as far as playing and exercise. More and more I see people promoting more natural (for lack of a better phrase) activities - climbing, pulling, pushing - instead of going to a gym and cycling the weights.

On a final note, may I just say: Misanthropes Unite! All Hail Our Leader!
dr-house-202x300.jpg

Reactions: NickW
I'm afraid of heights. My palms tingle and ache if I go up more than 8 or 10 feet (yes, I know it's all in my head). If I am forced to hike above the tree line I flatten myself out on the rocks like a lizard and slither around. I love House, too bad I'm married, he's the only person grumpier than me. I also love Sheldon Cooper though, too bad I'm married again and that t.v. isn't real. Is it bad that I can only relate to fictional characters? There was a child at the playground with her grandpa this morning. One of the rare occasions I appreciated looking much younger than 32ish.

I'm afraid of heights. My palms tingle and ache if I go up more than 8 or 10 feet (yes, I know it's all in my head). If I am forced to hike above the tree line I flatten myself out on the rocks like a lizard and slither around.

The tingling and aching could also because you do put stress on your hands (and arms) whilst climbing. Whether or not it's in your head is immaterial - it's still a very real fear. When I started going to the climbing gym, I had to remind myself that I was wearing a harness and was tied in properly and someone was tending the rope, should I fall. It's one of those things...

The playground is the only placed I've ever climbed. My hands hurt if I am standing on a balcony or driving on a road that is on a cliff, even if I am the passenger. It is entirely psychosomatic. Harnesses are another reason I have no interest in climbing gyms. I don't like anything that involves a bunch of accessories, other than my SCUBA gear, and even that can be annoying enough for me to elect to free dive instead of putting on my full rig. I like the idea of climbing up and down smallish rocks. I used to climb up and down this cliff as a teenager (yes usually in bare feet) to swim in the pool below. It's not a good pic but it's probably an 18-20' drop below where the photographer is standing.
p95657181-3.jpg

Whoa, pic number 2 makes it look terrifying! But still fun - really must get back into climbing again. I live on the other side of the UK, doubling the distance to the Netherlands, though Google maps tells me I could drive there in 11 hours.

When I did do a bit of climbing I'd occassionally have freak out moments where I just stuck myself to the wall like a gecko while I talked myself out of them. I'm generally ok climbing up stuff, but freak out coming back down & I'll happily take very long detours to avoid any ridge walking.
Are you clinging on for dear life once you're above your comfort zone? That'd cause tingling & aches.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts