Plantar Fasciitis or heel pain?

minimal Leah

Barefooters
Sep 20, 2010
I've been trying to run in my VFFs for some time now, started running barefoot on a beach but as I run in the morning when it is still dark I'm too timid to run barefoot. Plus, my feet are always cold so I like to keep them covered!

anyway, I have been trying to get thsi going as I have read a lot about barefoot running and it totally makes sense to me but I keep getting injuries, even when I start slow. i've had a friend video me running and I don't think I am heel striking with my left foor which is always the foot that hurts. so now my left heel is hurting, a bit swollen on the bottom of the heel and the inside as well.

any thoughts? suggestions? Is there a group in Seattle that I could hook up with after my foot is better to get some suggestions? any runners near Alki?

thanks

Welcome, Leah.  Post a

Welcome, Leah. Post a request to find runners in your area in the Washington Chapter as well. You may have better luck there. There's also a Washington Forum below, so you can try there too.

If you are noticing swelling, you could be dealing with something more serious than plantar fasciitis. I have and have had PF, and I have never seen swelling of the plantar fascia. You should see a doctor soon. If anything, you need to stay off your feet as much as possible and stop running until you have healed. If it is PF, you can run through it, but you just need to make sure you are constantly stretching your calves and wearing a night splint.

Do you have the first step of the morning pain? If so, does it go away after you have been on your feet for awhile. Not all PF will go away after walking around for awhile. Sometimes, when the PF has gone untreated or rested for an extended period of time, the pain from PF can actually get worse the more you are on your feet as the day goes on.

TJ, you are so good about

TJ, you are so good about replying to questions, we're lucky to have you. Leah, I'm a 7 mo. old BFR and am dealing with my first case of PF, so if that's what you have, you are not alone. I agree with TJ, make sure this isn't something more serious. Stretch, stretch stretch. Run like you think you weigh nothing. I've been rolling the bottom of my foot on a golf ball. There is a new PF stretch (new to whom, I'm not sure) - Cross your legs so your offending leg's ankle is on top of the end of your other thigh. Using your hand, pull your toes toward that leg's knee, giving it a long steady but not painful stretch. Repeat throughout the day. I've yet to make piece with a brace for sleeping, but agree it's a good idea.

A 180 step cadence will help keep it light. Is it possible that running in the dark is affecting your stride? Many experienced BF runners will say learn to run barefoot before using minimalist wear. I started with huaraches and have stuck with them, but it's taken me months of walking barefoot barefoot to build up the needed leg muscles.

hang in there and let us know how you go.

Sara

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test