Phew...bad run, then a good one

Go_Blue

Chapter Presidents
Oct 19, 2010
So I have to vent/gush about my last two runs. I had a pretty crappy run on Saturday. Between the conditions, the hills, and how I was feeling, I clearly didn't "have it" that day. Earlier in the week I did a five mile barefoot run, and it was a piece of cake (I've been steadily increasing my mileage, and been up around five for the last two weeks). But it was on a flat concrete running trail, and the surface itself was in good condition and tolerable even at the end of the run. Because I felt like I needed to challenge myself a bit (leaving for the Air Force next week), I decided that Saturday's run would be down around three miles, and include some hills. Oh boy.

I don't know if I was overtired or what, but the hills were kicking my butt that morning. I had to take a couple of walk breaks in order to recover. That was on top of the awful concrete I was running on. I have been doing my barefoot runs on the running trail of late, but because it's flat and somewhat boring, I decided to take a spin around my hilly neighborhood instead. Big mistake! The concrete roads were great in my development, but as I crossed into an older one, it was a completely different story. No matter how lightly I tread, my feet felt like they were getting torn up. After I decided to turn in for home, I made my way through a running path between the developments, which had significant tree cover. Because of the damp, dark concrete, I couldn't see half of the things I was stepping on (and I was stepping on a lot), so that last leg of the run was just incredibly frustrating. It was the first barefoot run I didn't enjoy. I still loved being out there with no shoes, but my feet were unhappy with my decision to try something new.

So today I decided to go back to the running trail, which I knew was going to be clear of debris and relatively smooth. I had a great run! I also did a new PR for distance today with six miles. :D The skin on the bottom of my feet was definitely telling me to knock it off by the end, so I put my VFFs on (they travel with me just in case) and did the last .5 mile and my cool out walk in those instead. But overall, I was feeling fantastic. The legs were feeling great, I found a nice cadence and a good, forward pace to fall into for the majority of the run. I did 25 minutes out, then turned around and did 25 minutes back to my start point, which tells me my pace was on for the whole run. Once I got back there, I decided to keep going for one more mile because I had it. So I did - that brought me up to just under six miles, then I put the VFFs on for the last little leg back to the parking lot. Felt great! Pretty proud of myself for having a nice run after such a frustrating day on Saturday.

I got back this afternoon and did notice that the more focused, slightly more forward pace did take its toll, though. I have a nice new blood blister on my left foot, which compliments the smaller on on my right from Saturday. So here they are! ;)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a15/PhantomTango1/100_3916.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a15/PhantomTango1/100_3919.jpg

I have long toes, and can't help getting the skin a little roughed up on my runs. But they've never been an issue. All in all, though, I'll take a couple of occasional blisters over the horrible shin splints I had in running shoes, and TOFP I had in Vibrams. Both have gone away since I started running mainly barefoot. It makes me sad that I won't see any BFR in the next four months due to training, but I can't wait to get back into it. :)

roll with the punches, take

roll with the punches, take the good with the bad...something to be learned from all runs. :)