People's reactions when you run

Put my sandals on and still got a lot of comments. "Can't believe you are hiking in those. Don't you worry about spraining your ankle?"
People just can't believe that you can be stable in a sandal. They don't understand that the closer to the ground the soles are the harder it is to roll the ankles. I'd be more worried about accidentally stubbing the toes than rolling the ankles.

I used to roll my ankles all the time when I was in the military. I grew up wearing flat soled shoes and then wearing combat boots with heels in the Army and my poor ankles just could not handle it. I would have a rolled ankle every few months while in. It sucked bad. Near the end of my service we got flat soled desert boots, my ankles loved them and thanked me. I also used to be very clumsy, sometimes still am, so I stub my toes around the house pretty frequently. Funny enough though, I can't remember the last time I did while barefoot outdoors... I think I just pay more attention when outdoors to what the hell I'm doing.

I used to roll my ankles all the time when I was in the military. I grew up wearing flat soled shoes and then wearing combat boots with heels in the Army and my poor ankles just could not handle it. I would have a rolled ankle every few months while in. It sucked bad. Near the end of my service we got flat soled desert boots, my ankles loved them and thanked me. I also used to be very clumsy, sometimes still am, so I stub my toes around the house pretty frequently. Funny enough though, I can't remember the last time I did while barefoot outdoors... I think I just pay more attention when outdoors to what the hell I'm doing.

And all your kids toys are on the floor on the inside...all the more to stub your toe on!!!

Oh, I still stub my toes in the house all the time although not as frequently now, mostly at night going to the bathroom. Dang small bladder and evening beers.
Sprained ankles - a least several times a year going back to the baseball days, then skiing (yes, you can sprain your ankle in a ski boot), then farm work. I would always roll an ankle getting off of my 4 wheeler stepping into a hole, tripping on branches, stumbling over tools, all in work boots. Now, no problems, I am much more aware, my balance is better, and my feet and ankles are strong.

And all your kids toys are on the floor on the inside...all the more to stub your toe on!!!
Oh you have no idea just how many toys litter the floor during the day. At times you have to slide your foot and push stuff just so you can move. Today I caught his Metal Tonka truck with my pinky toe. My wife was shocked I did not scream and pick up the truck and throw it. It hurt so bad, I think I had tears almost coming out. I think I just did one of those silent hunch over holding of the toes thing.

Since folks around here are mostly (or ought to be) getting used to seeing me bf, and I don't run w/ my ipod lately (which stops a lot of comments), here's what I do:
As soon as I realize I've been noticed, I start the neighborly conversation. So today "it's almost getting too hot for this already---how bout the heat?" then they feel obliged to engage with that small talk, and by the time they get to making a comment on my feet, I'm outta there.

Since folks around here are mostly (or ought to be) getting used to seeing me bf, and I don't run w/ my ipod lately (which stops a lot of comments), here's what I do:
As soon as I realize I've been noticed, I start the neighborly conversation. So today "it's almost getting too hot for this already---how bout the heat?" then they feel obliged to engage with that small talk, and by the time they get to making a comment on my feet, I'm outta there.

I have to resist the urge to go "BOO!" when I can tell someone wants to talk to the barefooted freak. Or, worse yet, just rub my bare foot on them. Lol.

I've only seen two other BFR's in 2 years. One time while I was driving my car but the other time was on a rural road and he was running in the opposite direction. It was like a shock, I didn't know what to say! I wanted to ask him if it hurts! LOL

Do you ever feel like you are the only barefoot runner in the world. ?

Most of the time yes...My first barefoot race was in 2005, a 10k and I saw 1 other barefoot runner. It took another 3 years in 2008 till I saw my second barefoot runner then after Born to Run came out I saw many more but only at races. Still I've never seen another barefooter on any type of random everyday run... a handful of Vibram runners but no barefoot runners except at races.

Reactions: happysongbird
During the rookie month(s) you worry about what people think. Took me a good month to realize who gives a s*** to be honest. Man Up! and run barefoot without worries.

Other people's reactions to barefooters varies based on the barefooters natural body language...if your calm, relaxed and owning your barefootedness then the other person is like...cool...I can't do that...well maybe I can do that. If your unsure and awkward then they are like "your crazy I could never do that."

But Gentile is right once you get over the beginning part you will not care what other people think...you will own your barefootedness anyway.

Reactions: NickW and rik
Do you ever feel like you are the only barefoot runner in the world. ?
I think it is very rare in our part of the country. I have only seen two others in races and they were just part timers (started the race in shoes, not even minshoes). My sister-in law is in a running club in Cedar City and she knows nobody barefoot. I am in the St. George running club and nobody barefoots. They are out there, maybe just not very visible, maybe they are not racing or involved in the forums. One guy in my area has run the St. George marathon twice barefoot, used to blog, but he has dropped out of sight.

Reactions: rik